Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

2014 Sporting Regulations For Dummies

You have taken it righ out of context. I don't think going to a wider chassis is so much as "going back" in terms of safety, I look at it as going back to a more fundamental way of racing, without kers and drs. I don't like seeing drivers die or fans injured either. But I dont really like watching real fast bumper cars either. There is no penalty for making a mistake. Just drive back on the circuit. Still not a fan of run offs.

Sorry if I took your words out of context. Not my intent. I do stand by my support of run-off areas, though. Track safety is the number one difference between F1 and IndyCar's safety records, in my opinion.

I happen to enjoy the KERS/DRS/Pirelli era, too. I think the racing is a lot of fun to watch. I do understand why some people don't like that, though.

To be fair we F1 fans are a hard bunch to please. Before DRS & KERS we were complaining that there's very little overtaking in F1, especially at the smaller tracks. Then after DRS & KERS were brought in we were complaining that overtaking is far too easy & "artificial" nowadays. We're like sports pundits/analysists, or my mother, always seeing the fault in everything no matter how good or bad the regulations change.

I have no issues with the KERS/DRS/Pirelli era. Pirelli have succeeded in their brief to make F1 more entertaining. If you can't recall the times when drivers went an entire race on a soft set of Bridgestones, no passing whatsoever, no re-fueling, OMG stab me in the eye please. It was torture.

Now, tyre degradation can happen even to Vettel. I hate how Pirelli have been treated in the press, and railed on by some of the teams. They should have been given assistance and testing to help them create a product the teams were happy with, and that still helped the show with overtakes and so on. Instead they are given a Sh#tbox Toyota from years ago to test with.

My only issue with the large runoff areas is it tends to play into the hands more for the rookies. The more experienced F1 drivers don't rely on the runoffs to save their hides so much, they either slow down or take evasive action, but the rookies, just plow on through the runoffs too many times for my liking. I also don't like that on some corners the fans are miles away from the track. I'm not asking for Monaco here, but surely we don't need a few hundred meters on every corner and chicane.

I don't recall where I read it, but several weeks ago I did read something from a past F1 driver, who felt the giant runoffs did not help the current rookies appreciated how dangerous F1 really was, and thus in a way made them more adverse to taking risks and either injuring themselves or others.

I have no issues with the KERS/DRS/Pirelli era. Pirelli have succeeded in their brief to make F1 more entertaining. If you can't recall the times when drivers went an entire race on a soft set of Bridgestones, no passing whatsoever, no re-fueling, OMG stab me in the eye please. It was torture.

Now, tyre degradation can happen even to Vettel. I hate how Pirelli have been treated in the press, and railed on by some of the teams. They should have been given assistance and testing to help them create a product the teams were happy with, and that still helped the show with overtakes and so on. Instead they are given a Sh#tbox Toyota from years ago to test with.

My only issue with the large runoff areas is it tends to play into the hands more for the rookies. The more experienced F1 drivers don't rely on the runoffs to save their hides so much, they either slow down or take evasive action, but the rookies, just plow on through the runoffs too many times for my liking. I also don't like that on some corners the fans are miles away from the track. I'm not asking for Monaco here, but surely we don't need a few hundred meters on every corner and chicane.

I don't recall where I read it, but several weeks ago I did read something from a past F1 driver, who felt the giant runoffs did not help the current rookies appreciated how dangerous F1 really was, and thus in a way made them more adverse to taking risks and either injuring themselves or others.

I think you're referring to Anthony Davidson's perspective of modern F1. Read here.

I do partially agree with you about F1 with KERS/DRS/Pirelli - there is passing and it could be considered entertaining. My issue with modern F1 is how valuable ANY of this is to road cars. F1 used to be about how much performance you could extract from different chassis/engine combinations in hopes of transitioning that to real-world use in roadcars. Nowadays, we have KERS and DRS simply to promote passing with neither really adding much value to the mainstream car manufacturers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kinetic Energy Recovery systems only make their way into hybrid vehicles which are not selling well, and tires should always stay on a car no matter how sticky they are. I can see how DRS' reduction of drag returns better fuel economy, but you can only use this in one or two areas of tracks.

In my eyes, the single-most welcome addition to F1 are turbos which is how most new cars are meeting new fuel economy requirements. And of course, the torque that goes along with it.

But then Pirelli isn't getting any answers about testing and they might be forced to take a conservative approach next year which might upset some people. I still can't understand why the gaps between all of Pirelli's compounds are so huge. The drop-offs between compounds and how that affects performance is so disappointing to watch, and really frustrating for someone who isn't an avid fan to grasp.

Overall, 2014's regulations seem to be 1 step forwards and 2 backwards. The turbos should make for interesting strategy and fuel-saving ideas, but a big KERS generator doesn't really add much spectacle to a sport focused on handling, and tires that are inconsistent between races (even race weekends) don't really make this sound like the pinnacle of motorsport.

No, the new Mazda 6 is petrol and runs a system very similar to KERS. Charges box form braking and acceleration and it allows you to switch to this energy when you running low in fuel.

No, the new Mazda 6 is petrol and runs a system very similar to KERS. Charges box form braking and acceleration and it allows you to switch to this energy when you running low in fuel.

Nifty, and they developed this without involvement in F1. Hmm.

Meanwhile, Nissan, Mercedes, and Volvo joined V8 Supercars. Volvo doesn't even offer a V8 (Nissan might in a truck, but certainly not in the Altima), and that engine format is not "popular" anymore.

There are many channels through which road cars can be developed. The rest is marketing...

...and in fact, the road relevance really is all marketing. Some car brands want the image of connecting something in your car with something in a race car; other brands want to be known for innovating off-the-track (i.e. SRT and Chevrolet use their racing programs to advertise their performance models, while Honda's Accord ads focus on developments unrelated to racing).

The innovations from racing would come anyway; you only innovate in racing if you want to market a racing program's image on your car.

I think road relevance was adopted by the fans simply as a justification for being entertained by something other people didn't understand. I'm not convinced the quality of road cars would change one bit if racing ended altogether, but some brands want to market the racing program, so they try to make connections by developing something they could have developed elsewhere. The fans buy into it, always seeking a reason to tell "the masses" that their form of entertainment is something more than that, as if it needs to be.

Or at least that's what I think.

Recently Pirelli have had one of those moments where they threaten to make a tyre that will do the entire race because people have been so p**sy about their current product.

The one thing I don't get is the fact that somehow Michealin and Bridgestone were able to create black round things for formula one cars that could do 15-25 laps of hard driving and charging before needing to be replaced while carrying about 1/3 of the races fuel. Pirelli on the other hand can either only make a tyre that can't even do three laps with no fuel on board or a tyre that will do the entire race with a full load of fuel. There has to be a middle ground. Either Bridgestone and Michealen had some magic alien helping them or Pirelli doesn;t know how to make tyres. Both of those situations warrant switching to someone other than Pirelli.

Recently Pirelli have had one of those moments where they threaten to make a tyre that will do the entire race because people have been so p**sy about their current product.

The one thing I don't get is the fact that somehow Michealin and Bridgestone were able to create black round things for formula one cars that could do 15-25 laps of hard driving and charging before needing to be replaced while carrying about 1/3 of the races fuel. Pirelli on the other hand can either only make a tyre that can't even do three laps with no fuel on board or a tyre that will do the entire race with a full load of fuel. There has to be a middle ground. Either Bridgestone and Michealen had some magic alien helping them or Pirelli doesn;t know how to make tyres. Both of those situations warrant switching to someone other than Pirelli.

THIS. If there's one thing Pirelli has proven, it's that they can't do anything without making a fuss or creating some sort of media extravaganza.

And the difference between a compound lasting 3 laps with partial fuel, and one set for the entire race makes complete sense. I legitimately want to know the reasoning behind having such huge differences in longevity between the compounds.

Meanwhile, Nissan, Mercedes, and Volvo joined V8 Supercars. Volvo doesn't even offer a V8 (Nissan might in a truck, but certainly not in the Altima), and that engine format is not "popular" anymore.

There are many channels through which road cars can be developed. The rest is marketing...

...and in fact, the road relevance really is all marketing. Some car brands want the image of connecting something in your car with something in a race car; other brands want to be known for innovating off-the-track (i.e. SRT and Chevrolet use their racing programs to advertise their performance models, while Honda's Accord ads focus on developments unrelated to racing).

The innovations from racing would come anyway; you only innovate in racing if you want to market a racing program's image on your car.

I think road relevance was adopted by the fans simply as a justification for being entertained by something other people didn't understand. I'm not convinced the quality of road cars would change one bit if racing ended altogether, but some brands want to market the racing program, so they try to make connections by developing something they could have developed elsewhere. The fans buy into it, always seeking a reason to tell "the masses" that their form of entertainment is something more than that, as if it needs to be.

Or at least that's what I think.

Volvo didn't join the V8 Supercars. Merc did via an existing team, so it's not a factory outfit and doesn't really have their official approval, but they are also ok with it as well. And Nissan also did the same but with their official approval.

Volvo are joining v8s next year and I do Beleive here in aus they do make a v8 Altima.

Oh ok, I didn't know about Volvo. As for the V8 Nissan Altima's, how much do these engines compare to the ones in their Patrols and other V8 platforms.

I wouldn't have a clue tbh mate, but I know they have built or are building v8 Altimas for the road, because Nissan wanted to originally bring in a v8 GTR yes you read it correctly, a v8 GTR. But v8 supercars said it has to be based of a road spec car you can walk in and buy from the dealer. Therefore they must have already or are going to build the v8 Altima.

Here's a pic of a road spec Altima.

Kelly-Racing-Nissan-Altima-parts-1.jpg

Looks like a massive ripoff of the new Lexus is200s or whatever there called.

I just saw pics of the new GTR Nismo at the Toyko Motor Show. WOW. It did the Nürburgring in an incredible 7:08.679 seconds which makes it the fastest mass produced production car.

I had high hopes when Nissan came back to the V8s. I mean who can ever forget the Godzillas! But it just seems like they have handicapped them too much. The Nissan engines are decades newer in terms of the tech used compared with the V8s from Ford and Holden. Maybe they didn't want the new boys coming in and stealing the show.

At any rate, Nissan and Merc have to succeed in this new variation of the V8s otherwise it's pointless them coming in. So if they can't do it, then I hope Volvo can. I got nothing against Ford or Holden, but it's such a dated concept now that new blood needs to be allowed to flourish without the heavy handicaps in place.

Yeah well said, mate those old skylines did it for me, ever since I was a little kid and saw the r31 fanging around mt panorama I wanted one. I've been lucky enough to own 1 and now I have a second. Just love the older more nostalgic jap cars like the Datsun 240z ohhhh yeah. How impressive though is that lap time around the old nurburgring. They rekon for the price of the gtr which I think is like 170k it's way more of a bargain than buying a Porsche, better car, half the price.

R33 <3 !!

Yeah for the price they smash so many more expensive cars. And it's not as though we're talking about a Hyundai either. The Skyline and GTR name in motorsports is legendary. Can't say the same for the i30 or Sonata lol

if I had the monies, I'd be getting one of the new GTRS. If I had alot of money, an Audi R8, a boatload of money, a Veyron Super Sport please.

If i had the money id buy the new gtr but honestly, I would rather build my own beast, got 4 cars, 2 r31 skylines, vt commodore and a ve sv6 sportswagon. But the skylines are way more fun to drive, even though my wagon is wagon more comfortable, no where near as fun. Only thing I need now is my dream car, Fd rx7

I've seen those 86's and stock they look terrible. Skinny wheels. Something about it at least driving behind it looks off. I've heard to really do one up, you need to pretty much strip it. Pop in a STI WRX engine, and go from there. We are talking about the Toyota/Subaru/Scion '86 yeah?

I'd love to get a Legnum. They look one of the meanest station wagons I've seen in their V6 Twin Turbo versions. Well that and the Audi RS4/6 station wagons, now those I'd marry in a heart beat.

GT-86 is quite cheap as it's an entry level sports car. That's why I'd like to buy one then mod it up so it has a chance to play with the big boys.

I've got a bad-as* Nissan!!! It's a 1.8 Primera. Does 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds. Lots of boot space. Oh the thrills I have

I've got a bad-as* Nissan!!! It's a 1.8 Primera. Does 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds. Lots of boot space. Oh the thrills I have

That's nothing compared to my 1.0 Nissan Micra. 0-60 meters in 5 seconds!!!

Sweet, more Nissan boys, my r31 would give you that 5 seconds or 10 second head start you need, then BANG, all ya gonna see, is the hot plates fading away.