Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

2014 Sporting Regulations For Dummies

That's nothing compared to my 1.0 Nissan Micra. 0-60 meters in 5 seconds!!!

Maybe it'd get that speed in descent when you push it over a cliff-edge

Lol, my mates old ford fair lane has a 10cm dead spot either side of the steering wheel being centre before it affects it running in a straight line. So going down the free way is quite a task at hand.

never even heard of a Fairlane, just googled it and I can see why it never came to the UK, it's a big brute of a thing, wouldn't fit on our roads

Yeah there pretty big, but I have a 2010 Holden sv6 sportswagon and there pretty big to, also have 2 r31skylines, both 1989 and a 2000 vt commodore.

Didn't think Gary Anderson could possibly dumb down anything. Usually his analysis of technical F1 stuff is very thorough. I even remember him going on about how a sequential gearbox works for 15 minutes back when RTÉ did the F1 coverage in Ireland. Wow that's going back haha!

He did make some beutiful Jordan cars.

Do you get BBC f1 broadcast over there with EJ & DC, or have you got aussie presenters? Just wondering if you get the joy (or lack thereof) of Gary Anderson's technical insights. Whilst they are good, he has the most boring voice in the world of television.

I know he designed the 1998 jordan which started as a dog but they did transform it (let's assume it was all thanks to Damon Hill lol), don't know which other jordans he designed. Maybe his brainpower alternated year to year cos their 96 car was terrible, 97 much better, 98 terrible again, and 99 brilliant

We have Aussie presenters, but the do cross over to dc,crofty,brundle and Jordan. Eddies knowledge and predictions, also blow my mind as to how precise they always are.

He just knows his stuff man, afterall he did "find" Schumacher, well have him his big break anyway.

Both schumachers for that matter. And Fisi. I think he lost his way with talent-spotting after that!! Ralph Firman anyone?

Both schumachers for that matter. And Fisi. I think he lost his way with talent-spotting after that!! Ralph Firman anyone?

You cant blame the guy for waving the shamrock (I guess the argument could be made that Firman was a bit of an opportunist, but hey, who wouldnt want to be Irish ?!).

Ah Ralph Firman. I think he was the only sports person other than a footballer to use the 'granny rule' to represent Ireland. Maybe he felt sorry for our motorsport pedigree :P

The double points thing is most likely one of those ferrari ideas. I am going to laugh when kimi goes into the last race with a 25 point lead and has 4 wins to vettels 2. Then vettel wins in abu dabi and kimi finishes 4th. Vettel wins the wdc by 1 point even though he should have mathematicaly been eliminated the race before...

And ontop of that the use of team orders makes even more sense with this change. And again ontop of that the last race is abu dabi. A race that has some of the least amount of passing in the season and that vettel has won 3 times. I thought the fia wanted to stop vettel from dominating.

As a ferrari and vettel fan I can say this rule is the dumbest thing the fia has ever thought of.

Bernie always has to make his voice heard. Bloody muppet. Jean Todt also want teams and drivers to have permanent numbers on there cars and helmets, except the current world champion. Moto gp style. Why can't they just leave the sport alone for a while?

What an absolute joke (double points). Already I've read on various websites that fans everywhere are pis*ed about this, and all the sports newspapers around the world are calling it 'crazy', 'strange', a 'gimmick' etc. And I fully agree.

One fan posted a good comment (IMO), saying imagine if Sepp Blatter decided that at the world cup all goals scored after 80 minutes would be worth double! Imagine the uproar!

It makes me so sad that they can pass such a stupid rule without caring what the fans think. I can only hope that after seeing worldwide reaction this morning, the FIA will see sense and scrap the double-points idea.

And having permanent numbers, why??? Vettel will have number 1 for the rest of his career just cos he's the current world champ. Car number reflects where your team finished last year, and your own status in the team. Why change something that's not broken, AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

Well look like I won't be buying tickets for Austin next year. Hell time to cancel the DVR as well.

Personally if I were an F1 driver I would seriously consider quitting right now. These changes sound good when you are not winning but I can tell you one thing, when someone other than Redbull looses the WDC and the WCC in the last race because of this they will throw so much crap because of it. I would love to see that happen.

Too bad I just stopped watching F1.

Even ex-drivers and pundits have been tweeting and commenting today with their negative views. I'm honestly baffled and I really hope sense will prevail and this decision will be reversed.

And Vettel's view, according to Bild:

• "Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel describes plans to award double points at the final race of the 2014 Formula One season as "absurd".
  • Red Bull driver Vettel, who won the 2013 title with four races of the season left, also claims "drivers, fans and experts are horrified" at the proposal.

• This is absurd and punishes those who have worked hard for a whole season," the 26-year-old is quoted as saying by German newspaper Bild. "I value the old traditions in Formula One and do not understand this new rule."

And I know Lotus aren't everyone's cup of tea at the moment but you've got to give them credit for this bit of humour from their official twitter feed: (apparently there is more on their twitter site but I can't access it here at work)

_71673468_lotuspic1.jpg

Eddie Irvine is pulling no punches (as usual) with his opinion on the double-points rule!

"It's ridiculous, I've never heard such a joke in all my life. Talk about tinsel town bulls***!", he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"I think Formula 1 has lost its way. This latest rule of double points for the last race is insanity. That actually made me realise I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out. That is just embarrassing. It really is. They should be ashamed of themselves.

"I just think the people involved in these decisions have lost the plot. They have no understanding of reality and the people who are in there have been in too long. They have blown up the history of the sport by changing the points, changing the qualifying and now double points for the final race!"

Eddie Irvine is pulling no punches (as usual) with his opinion on the double-points rule!

"It's ridiculous, I've never heard such a joke in all my life. Talk about tinsel town bulls***!", he told the Belfast Telegraph.

"I think Formula 1 has lost its way. This latest rule of double points for the last race is insanity. That actually made me realise I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out. That is just embarrassing. It really is. They should be ashamed of themselves.

"I just think the people involved in these decisions have lost the plot. They have no understanding of reality and the people who are in there have been in too long. They have blown up the history of the sport by changing the points, changing the qualifying and now double points for the final race!"

I think I can say, this is officially the first time I actually agree with something Irvine has said. Well done Eddie.