Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LabradoRacer

Schumi

Everything is confusing, with contradicting reports. Last ones here said that his condition has worsened in the past hours, but that it is still not life threatening.

Everybody wishes the old git the best, even the old haters like myself :) Get well soon, Schumi, I still haven't finished hating you!

Hospital official statement confirms condition critical with induced coma.

I just can't believe it.

Neither can I, super fit Michael? He is in the hardest race he has ever had to do now. Come on Schumi you can make it, iam just in absolute shock because as Schumi once said before about Ayrton, a coma can mean many things, you can wake up fine or you don't wake up at all.

There do seem to be worryingly contradictory reports. It says on BBC that some reports said walked away from the incident a little shaken, also says he was conscious when attended to by ski patrol. BBC still saying he is critical after neurosurgery intervention.

Hope he pulls through it fully intact.

Pabloh I've read that too, and in a way it's not contradictory. He wasn't showing any external signs of serious traumer after he fell. But if there was internal bleeding and other brain injuries, they wouldn't necessarily show right away.

Natasha Richardson, Liam Neeson's wife died after apparently having a minor fall whilst skiing some years ago. She was even joking and laughing afterwards, but it all went downhill very quickly after that. I suspect this type of scenario happened with Schumi, however his initial fall I have read invovled his head hitting a rock.

Being in an induced coma is to help his body heal faster. So he might be ok once he wakes up, but the fear is he either won't wake up, or the Schumi we know won't be the same.

Hope he pulls through.

Isn't it ironic? I mean he raced the fastest cars in the world for 20yrs only really has one serious accident (silverstone 99) wins so many races,titles then retires, has a serious bike accident that rules out his return to replace Felipe Massa in 2009 and now after retiring again, he has put himself in another serious situation. Maybe he should just come back and stay safe so to speak lol. Get well Schumi.

I hope he gets better, for his family's sake, and because I am still an adoring fan.

I hope he gets better, for his family's sake, and because I am still an adoring fan.

Just unbeleivable isn't, I just hope I don't go to an f1 page soon and see bad news, fingers crossed.

Just unbeleivable isn't, I just hope I don't go to an f1 page soon and see bad news, fingers crossed.

I'm cringing each time I refresh a news website. What will be, will be.

Press conference right now, from what I can graspo from the French:

- He is in an induced coma

- We cannot predict how will this unfold. Our priority is to reduce the intra cranial pressure

- His life is still at risk, and the situation is very serious. A person without a helmet would not have made it here.

- Now explaining that the first stop at the first Hospital was a common procedure.

- The scan showed bilateral hemorragic lesions

- Prof.Saillant: I am here as Schumi's friend, not as a doctor.

- Patient was disoriented and didn't reply to questions after the accident

- It is too soon to make any statements about possible sequels of future developments

-

- Technical details that mean squat: they are keeping the patient under low temp conditions to protect the brain blah blah.

- Working on an hour-by-hour basis , they need time.

- From twitter, coz I missed that part: there was just one operation. All night "Reliable source from the hospital" said that there were two.Reliable bullSh#tters.

Thanks, Andres.

Reading the BBC live coverage. The press conference made for grim viewing.

Hope Schumi pulls through. He's a champion of fighting against all odds.

That's it. Sorry, my French isn't the best nor my English, in a while you will probably find better translations somewhere else.

You are welcome, Jay.

You know I am your average Schumi hater. I think I accused him of everything under the sun during his career, Shabbath-breaking included.

But one thing I never could accuse him of is of not being a fighter. And one of the darnedest best at that.

So he has probably the best medical technology and professionals, the fastest rescue operation and he is a fighting SOB. Whatever the outcome will be, at least you can be assured that it will be the best, given the circumstances.

Pabloh I've read that too, and in a way it's not contradictory. He wasn't showing any external signs of serious traumer after he fell. But if there was internal bleeding and other brain injuries, they wouldn't necessarily show right away.

Natasha Richardson, Liam Neeson's wife died after apparently having a minor fall whilst skiing some years ago. She was even joking and laughing afterwards, but it all went downhill very quickly after that. I suspect this type of scenario happened with Schumi, however his initial fall I have read invovled his head hitting a rock.

Being in an induced coma is to help his body heal faster. So he might be ok once he wakes up, but the fear is he either won't wake up, or the Schumi we know won't be the same.

Hope he pulls through.

I wasn't referring to the different ways people react to a brain trauma when I said contradictory, but referring to some reports saying he got up and walked away and just appeared shaken whereas other reports saying he was treated where he fell. By the sounds of it he was agitated and didn't respond to questions properly, which is when they know something is not right.

I remember Natasha Richardson's accident. She was slightly different again in that she even went back to the hotel afterwards and I remember it was a good few hours later before she worsened. If I remember correctly, she was only just learning to ski, or a beginner at least, so you have to imagine she wouldn't have been travelling quickly, it just goes to show you that you can just be really unlucky.

By the sounds of it, the medical personnel imagine Schumi was travelling at some speed, presumably from the fact that he has still suffered this injury even while wearing a helmet. It also sounds like he was already in a coma when he got to Grenoble and that they have kept him in a coma, although that bit was slightly un-clear. They also keep his body temperature down while in the coma, I think to try and reduce any activity that may harm his brain, like responding to stimulae.

Between the continuous flashbacks from Gilles and Ayrton, I recall a very minor incident, when Alonso brushed the walls at Massenet in Monaco 2010. It was FP3 and he missed the qualy due to the extensive damage to the car. He said something like "I can crash against that wall again 99 times our of 100 and nothing like this would happen. I was just unlucky"

I think that was what happened with Schumi. I'm not too sure he was traveling fast or in a dangerous way. The trauma is on the right side of his head. He might as well have been standing, slip and fall onto a rock and crush his head like that.

Hypothermia is kept to help reduce the swelling. Coma will last for at least 48 hours. No further operations are planned. No time for the next press conference was given.

Thanks quite one for putting in the time and effort to relay that report, much appreciated. Fingers crossed, at times like this, it doesn't matter if you like the guy or not, it's one of our men and needs out support.

Between the continuous flashbacks from Gilles and Ayrton, I recall a very minor incident, when Alonso brushed the walls at Massenet in Monaco 2010. It was FP3 and he missed the qualy due to the extensive damage to the car. He said something like "I can crash against that wall again 99 times our of 100 and nothing like this would happen. I was just unlucky"

I think that was what happened with Schumi. I'm not too sure he was traveling fast or in a dangerous way. The trauma is on the right side of his head. He might as well have been standing, slip and fall onto a rock and crush his head like that.

Hypothermia is kept to help reduce the swelling. Coma will last for at least 48 hours. No further operations are planned. No time for the next press conference was given.

I didn't mean he was doing anything silly or overtly dangerous. I think their inference was that if he was travelling slow or had just fallen over, then his helmet would have saved him, but as he has legions, even though he was wearing a helmet, they suspect it might have happened at speed.

My thoughts are with his family.