Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

John Button Has Died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25719879

More sad news in the F1 world. This guy always had a big smile on his face, attended every race to support his boy, just has he's been there at Jenson's side throughout his entire racing career.

I met John in the paddock at Monza in 2010 and I stopped him to ask for a photo, he was more than happy to oblige and smiled for my brother's camera. Top bloke and Jenson must be in bits right now.

RIP

Sad news indeed. He was a true father, always there supporting Jenson pretty much every race weekend. 'Daddy Button' has he used to be referred to by the commentators over the years. He will be missed :(

He was a charming man and what I like to call a proper Englishman. He was also treated like scum by the hypocritical English press once Button's initial hype died out. Brawn's fraud required much complicity form the press but Button and family had learned their lesson well by then.

It is very sad news and it seems a lot of the F1 community are going to miss having him at races, none more so than Jenson of course. My condolences to him and his family at this awful time for them.

Man that's so sad. Just before jenson needs all his motivation and preparation for the upcoming season, stay strong Jenson, were all supporting you. From what I saw of John on tv, he seemed like a top bloke, what you saw is what you got.

I remember the Schumachers' mother died mid-season about 10 years ago, both Michael & Ralf got on with things professionally and didnt even show any effect, I hope Jenson can manage the same, knowing that Dad is still watching but just not from the mclaren garage.

First public comments from Jenson since the news broke. From his twitter feed:

"Papa you cannot believe how very proud I feel to be able to call you my Dad,"

"Thank you all for your lovely messages about my Dad, it's so nice to see he touched so many people."

He added: "I love you Papa Smurf, you'll forever be in my heart. Rest in Peace with the angels. Your son XXXX."

First public comments from Jenson since the news broke. From his twitter feed:

"Papa you cannot believe how very proud I feel to be able to call you my Dad,"

"Thank you all for your lovely messages about my Dad, it's so nice to see he touched so many people."

He added: "I love you Papa Smurf, you'll forever be in my heart. Rest in Peace with the angels. Your son XXXX."

So sad, keep your head up Jenson. Like the great Tupac Shakur once said "No matter how dark the night gets, there's always a brighter day after that, keep your head up,stay strong".

Nice to see Jenson dealing with this tragedy in his usual cool manner. Hopefully he'll keep his head up & fight for the title this season :)

Nice to see Jenson dealing with this tragedy in his usual cool manner. Hopefully he'll keep his head up & fight for the title this season :)

I hope so to, it would be a fitting tribute. What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

When Jenson wins he beams a huge smile from the moment he gets out the car, to celebrating on the podium, and afterwards. I suspect the emotions will be different if he wins races this year, but I just hope he's ok

Losing your Dad is hard, I know as mine died a few years ago, but you do learn to live with it and you have to carry on. John Button may not be there in person cheering Jenson on anymore, and of course he's really going to feel it when he starts racing and he's not there, but in spirit you know he'll be there in his heart. Jenson is a professional and he'll race on, but when he does next get a podium, the emotion just might get to him as you say. Bless him.

Losing your Dad is hard, I know as mine died a few years ago, but you do learn to live with it and you have to carry on. John Button may not be there in person cheering Jenson on anymore, and of course he's really going to feel it when he starts racing and he's not there, but in spirit you know he'll be there in his heart. Jenson is a professional and he'll race on, but when he does next get a podium, the emotion just might get to him as you say. Bless him.

Yeah that's right,but Jenson should know by now, how much support he has out there. Iam an Aussie and I love the guy to bits. Just a genuine bloke, comes across very nice, always happy and bubbly and like Jem said, always has a smile ear to ear. Ill be cheering for him again this year, like I have done in the past.

Just a real nice chap.

It was horrible news indeed. I passed many a hour with Papa Smurf in his favourite watering hole on my annual visits to Monaco. He was the last great character in F1 and totally dedicated to his World Champion son. He missed one GP in 13 years. The best Dad you could ever hope for.

It was horrible news indeed. I passed many a hour with Papa Smurf in his favourite watering hole on my annual visits to Monaco. He was the last great character in F1 and totally dedicated to his World Champion son. He missed one GP in 13 years. The best Dad you could ever hope for.

That's sad, so you basically knew him personally. He came accross as a wonderful, caring person. What comes to mind now, was the imotion he let go when he first saw Jenson after his title winning drive in Brazil 09. I even felt proud of Jenson and I don't even know him. Just shows you, it's alright to cry and let it out once in a while, even if you are a full grown man. Atleast he witnessed his son become a gp winner and them world champion. Nothing would have made him more proud.

Well,

That's sad, so you basically knew him personally. He came accross as a wonderful, caring person. What comes to mind now, was the imotion he let go when he first saw Jenson after his title winning drive in Brazil 09. I even felt proud of Jenson and I don't even know him. Just shows you, it's alright to cry and let it out once in a while, even if you are a full grown man. Atleast he witnessed his son become a gp winner and them world champion. Nothing would have made him more proud.

Well, John was a people person and would talk to anyone unless they p**sed him off! If you were in the Ship & Castle on GP w/e you were bound to run into him. I just liked to chat to him and I did - often. JB will miss him terribly I am sure.

Well,

Well, John was a people person and would talk to anyone unless they p**sed him off! If you were in the Ship & Castle on GP w/e you were bound to run into him. I just liked to chat to him and I did - often. JB will miss him terribly I am sure.

That's awesome.