Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

Sounds About Engine Noise

I'm not sure about everyone else but I think F1 changing to turbo engines is a huge mistake as they'll sound extremely flat and boring compared to normally aspirated engines. I remember the glory years of V12 Ferrari's & Honda's and they sounded absolutely amazing!

Rest assured if you did a demonstration on a Grand Prix weekend in front of the fans with this years car & then sent out the 1995 Ferrari V12 there is no contest as to which would be the most popular. Anyone else out there agree?

I'm hoping the fans will flock from the circuits in disgust this year and they'll be forced to go back to normally aspirated engines - preferably compulsory V12's with a minimum 20,000rpm or a 10 second penalty if you're under!

Mercedes released a clip of the sound a few days ago and although there is an obvious difference, I actually thought it sounded okay.

It was only the noise of a car going past the pits though, so my judgment is still reserved for now!

You won't really notice the difference IMO, It had a deeper sound at lower revs but it will have a unique sound not far of what were used to. I think they sound quite nice actually.

I don't get the obsession with the sounds the cars make.

I could watch an F1 race with no sounds and just commentary. I am much more interested in the lap times and tech and driving than I am in the sound. I think I rank sound just under the length of Jenson's beard hair in the list of important things about F1.

I don't get the obsession with the sounds the cars make.

I could watch an F1 race with no sounds and just commentary. I am much more interested in the lap times and tech and driving than I am in the sound. I think I rank sound just under the length of Jenson's beard hair in the list of important things about F1.

Aaaamen!

You've gotta have the sound IMO, that is also a vital part of formula one and its uniqueness.

It's true that watching on TV doesnt do the sound any justice, as when you watch it the sound you hear is random background race-noise (other than onboard view obviously).

But when you see it live, the sound is a huge part of the experience.

Having heard a few of the engines at Jerez this past week, I still don't think anything is wrong or missing with the sound. Still sound like engines being pushed by the monkey in the c#ckpit.

Maybe Bernie just needs a better hearing aid???

Lol exactly, he is upset he got no say in the future of the sport an being the control freak he is, he can't stand it, this is the best thing for the sport, keep pushing that little gnome away, he needs to be gone, he is what is making this sport a farce.

And look who's back!!!

Oh...it's you...meh. biggrin.png

Sorry to disappoint that it wasn't Eddie Irvine as you'd been hoping for :P

Lol exactly, he is upset he got no say in the future of the sport an being the control freak he is, he can't stand it, this is the best thing for the sport, keep pushing that little gnome away, he needs to be gone, he is what is making this sport a farce.

Him and CVC....but whom to replace him with?

It's true that watching on TV doesnt do the sound any justice, as when you watch it the sound you hear is random background race-noise (other than onboard view obviously).

But when you see it live, the sound is a huge part of the experience.

I was in Austin, and yes the sound is fun and all, but the sound really isn't the big thing. If anything it is the vibrations that go through your body and when you feel the backfires from the downshifts. Any sane person at a track would wear enough ear protection so that the sound is just as muted on TV anyway.

But unless you are at the track you don't feel that anyway. I love cars and all that but I bet if given the choice between only listening to an F1 race and only watching it, 99.99% of people are going to choose watching it.

I think if anyone thinks this years engines will sound similar to normally aspirated, either you've never been trackside during the V12 era of the 1990's or you have a memory problem as to what they actually sounded like. There's no contest nor mistaking the difference and I can guarantee which one would win the crowds over if you did a demonstration between the two

I think if anyone thinks this years engines will sound similar to normally aspirated, either you've never been trackside during the V12 era of the 1990's or you have a memory problem as to what they actually sounded like. There's no contest nor mistaking the difference and I can guarantee which one would win the crowds over if you did a demonstration between the two. Search V12 Ferrari F1 on YouTube & experience it

There is no issue in that they sound different. Of course they do. A Ford Focus sounds different to a F5000 V8 engine.

But will a turbo be boring? No. Of course not. They still scream. They're still loud. It's just a different pitch.

Why engines have to sound the same today as they did thirty years ago, I will never know...

I must admit, I was very sceptical on these new engines, infact, I was fearing this all last season. But after hearing them, they sound absolutly beautiful. Like you said, a different sound, but a very acceptable sound. After the first few races, you won't know the difference.

Different courses for different horses, depends what floats your boat I suppose. I can't see how drony flat sounding lower revving turbo engine could possibly sound as awesome as the high pitch shrill of a screaming V12, V10 or even V8 of the last 8 seasons. Like I've said, I'd love to put it to the test by away of a demonstration at a Grand Prix weekend and see which one gets a rise out of the crowds

Furthermore, after reading an update on testing in Bahrain, Plumes of smoke from Alonso's Ferrari in the pit lane, no running for Red Bull or Toro Rosso after 4 hours, at this rate not only will they sound crap but there's a good chance less than half the field will finish the first race. I have to agree with Bernie's comments after Jerez test that this is farcical and a complete joke!

Why fix something that wasn't broken, the engine rules of the last 8 seasons have been absolutely fine, reliable, very similar on performance which then removed any engine advantage & put the emphasis back on aero, tyre strategy & driver skill. At least most cars finished every race. Never in the Turbo era was the racing as close on performance and lap times as we've enjoyed in recent years with the exception of Red Bull & Vettel in the last 2 years (not Webber by the way in the same car). Do we really want a re-run of the 1980's that saw Honda turbo power dominate with Williams then McLaren's whom would disappear into the distance whilst the rest of the field battled for scraps and we'd regularly see blown turbo's going up in smoke!

Have you even heard the new engine? It's fine by me, it's a new format, teething problems are bound to happen. Do you remember how unreliable the v8s where when they first appeared?