Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

Sounds About Engine Noise

I've heard an audio of the new engine from the Mercedes demonstration test. I played it to my 13 year old daughter who knows nothing about turbo engines, normally aspirated or much about F1 at all. I then played her the audio from the V12 F1 Ferrari from 1995 and asked her what sounded best.........there was no hesitation nor contest on her response, the V12 simply blew the turbo sound away.

I have every F1 season review on VHS & DVD since 1982 and re-watched the 2006 review (first year all cars were V8's) over the Christmas break, I can't recall the season being dominated by engine reliability

I don't mind the new sound, but I do hope they're still super-loud. When I go to a live GP I want to think 'holy sh*t those things are LOUD' (like I always have done previously, and I love it)

The first time you ever hear an f1 car in person, it just blows you away, the sound is deafening.

I'll agree with you there Webric, I remember my first time was at Imola 1992, I'll never forget Senna going past me in the McLaren V12 Honda plus all the other V12 cars that year, Ferrari, Jordan Yamaha, Minardi Lamborghini, Venturi Lamborghini, Dallara Ferrari & I've got it all on camcorder

I'll agree with you there Webric, I remember my first time was at Imola 1992, I'll never forget Senna going past me in the McLaren V12 Honda plus all the other V12 cars that year, Ferrari, Jordan Yamaha, Minardi Lamborghini, Venturi Lamborghini, Dallara Ferrari & I've got it all on camcorder

Cool that must be a great video to watch. My first time was Silverstone 1999, I remember turning up at the circuit whilst a practice session was underway. I could hear the engines from 2 miles away when sat in my dad's car in traffic, but when I turned up I walked straight up to a viewing area and I remember the first car that blasted past me (Woodcote corner) was a Minardi, full throttle entering the pit straight, it blew my socks and pants off and I was in heaven. Especially when Damon Hill zoomed past shortly after!

My worst fears have now been realised, im standing at gate 1 in Melbourne & I can barely hear the cars & people are leaving the circuit in droves, its a conplete joke. Well done F1 on completely ****ing the sport

My worst fears have now been realised, im standing at gate 1 in Melbourne & I can barely hear the cars & people are leaving the circuit in droves, its a conplete joke. Well done F1 on completely ****ing the sport

Your kidding? Is there any exaggeration there do to frustration or are they really that bad. At home on tv, they sound like super bikes.

No exaggeration at all, They are quiet & complete Sh#t. V8 Supercars are louder, no wonder people are leaving the circuit. I feared this might happen

watched FP2 this afternoon. the sound ? well the motor sounds like it has a max of 10,000 rpm with the exhaust outlet in a long hollow tube............. not what we have been used to

No exaggeration at all, They are quiet & complete Sh#t. V8 Supercars are louder, no wonder people are leaving the circuit. I feared this might happen

Such a shame, even on tv they look slower because they havnt got that high pitch sound that adds to the speed, they look slower as the sound sounds deeper and less aggressive.

Their pace isn't bad but as far as noise goes it's all over folks, GP2 sound better. Next season we'll be seeing empty stands like Force India's team boss suggested. Once the rest of the world has had a chance to sample it this season I don't know how many people will be prepared to spend $500 on a grand stand ticket - I won't be that's for sure. R.I.P. Formula 1

After finally hearing them while watching fp2 on the TV I have to say I like the sound. Totally different but still really cool. I like the low range grumble.

Formula one IMO was all about the high revving sound, see teams have already said there going to only wind the cars out to 12,500 rpm instead of the 15,000 the car can do due to fuel mileage. Now Redbull said there down 70hp on the other engines, if there only shifting to 12.5 whats the issue?

I like it. Just because you don't need earplugs doesn't mean the sky will fall in. I'm rather keen on the concept of turning fuel into forward motion instead of decibels.

GP2 and Formula 3 sounds better - Enuff said.

this turbo with hybrid is complete crappy sound. Sounds like a cheap bike.

Aus GP was the first time I'd actually watched TV footage of these new cars. I do not like the new sound at all, but I guess we'll all get used to it soon enough. Just doesn't sound like F1!

I suppose similar tears were shed when the Auto Union V16s disappeared. Has anyone here heard a BRM H16? When they could eventually start it of course. Makes your much lamented V10s sound pretty feeble. Things change.

Lots of people predicted F1 would die when the last round of engine changes happened, and the time before and the time before, folk will get used it or move on, personally I like the new engine note and love seeing cars being more challenging to drive,

The 90's were the last cars that truly sounded like cars. When the revs reached astronomical levels, the cars began to sound less like cars and more like a hive of angry bees.

I like the sound of the new cars but in the same breath I can say that I don't really care about the sound. If I can't have the sound of the 80's back again, to hell with it. At least it's not angry bees.

The v10s IMO, the sound was imense. If you were watching hockenhiem or monza on tv and got a still camera shot in the straight, you turned up your tv (well I did) as you could here it coming and them this almighty awesome sound as it flashes by and sound fades away through awesome gear changes, these cars sounded like a real race car should, ready to explode.

Check this link out people, http://t.co/DW0DPlHMz0

proof is in the pudding & my fears are realized through people's displeasure since the Melbourne Grand Prix, read the comments. I expect this debate to continue & the outrage to heat up throughout this year as F1 fans around the world at each round will be bitterly disappointed and not return the following year. I can't wait to see how extremely passionate crowds like the Italians will react when they hear this Sh#t at Monza! I'm predicting a walk out in disgust!

There used to be nothing on earth like the sound of an F1 car until last weekend - sadly this has now been taken from us. You can hear flat sounding drony turbo engines at a car club event that are louder for Christ sake! I don't care what greenies or tech heads say, F1 is supposed to be loud! Always has and always should - F1 was murdered last weekend. R.I.P. F1

Supposed to be loud? By whose decree? Utter piffle. I think I may agree with Mike.

Because F1 has always been loud, hence that's what makes or made them unique. Go to Silverstone this year & discover for yourself. At the Melbourne event they have an speed comparison demo, this year it entailed an 2011 Red Bull, an Aussie V8 Supercar & a road car. It was very evident from the crowds reaction when hearing the old F1 car as oppose to the new which one got a rise from the crowd. So sorry Pants from Northants - not piffle

So F1 cars are no longer unique because they aren't as loud as last year? Is that really what you're saying? I want to be sure of that before I go further.