Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

Sounds About Engine Noise

Mate honestly iam not a fan of the sound, but if it produces races like we just saw where drivers are holding on with the grit of there teeth as these babies want to dance around, I sure as hell can live with that, this is what we wanted, drivers challenged on the entire lap for the duration of the gp, one mistake and its game over.

So F1 cars are no longer unique because they aren't as loud as last year? Is that really what you're saying? I want to be sure of that before I go further.

What I'm saying is that F1 has always been loud for as far back as I've attended Grands Prix, it's a major part of the experience when you're trackside. That is no longer the case so a huge part of what F1 used to be has gone. The Force India boss in Melbourne said "they've taken the sound of F1 away". There used to be no other sound like it in the world and now it's been reduced to something you go and hear and a car club event. Can you not understand how much of an impact that has on the trackside experience?

I understand exactly where your coming from but again the racing was ALOT better, yeah for sure it would kill the atmosphere a bit but at the end of the day, your going there to watch the 22 best drivers in the world in the fastest circuit cars in the world, you don't go there JUST for the sound, until they sort that out, you have to focus on the positive side and that's alot more challenging driving for all. The professionalism of driving IMO has stepped up a notch, that's the positive side, but until the sound is sorted I can honestly say I enjoy f1 ATM.

I understand exactly where your coming from but again the racing was ALOT better, yeah for sure it would kill the atmosphere a bit but at the end of the day, your going there to watch the 22 best drivers in the world in the fastest circuit cars in the world, you don't go there JUST for the sound, until they sort that out, you have to focus on the positive side and that's alot more challenging driving for all. The professionalism of driving IMO has stepped up a notch, that's the positive side, but until the sound is sorted I can honestly say I enjoy f1 ATM.

We've had one race, I wonder how interesting people will find it if the 2 Merc's up and disappear every race. Will bring back memories of the last turbo era when Williams then later McLaren had Honda engines

Exactly, no matter how many rule changes you have, there is always going to be atleast one dominant team of that particular era, only way to avoid that, is if every driver switches team each race.

Only the same as the last 4 years seeing 2 Red Bulls disappear into the distance or the years that Schumacher had a car that as nearly a second lap faster than anything else, F1 I still here

Webber didn't dominate, it was Vettel that did. Webber never even won a race last year. When you get a Schumacher or a Vettel in a very good car they will always dominate. Look where Barrichello & Webber came as team mates in those dominant years, struggled to be runners up. The only recent time I can recall 2 drivers in the same car dominate was Senna & Prost

F1 always used to get drivers killed as well, the sport evolves an things change, some times folk don't like the changes but there will always be a fan base

Me likes your posts.

Webber didn't dominate, it was Vettel that did. Webber never even won a race last year. When you get a Schumacher or a Vettel in a very good car they will always dominate. Look where Barrichello & Webber came as team mates in those dominant years, struggled to be runners up. The only recent time I can recall 2 drivers in the same car dominate was Senna & Prost

How can you even say webber had the same car as Vettel and barrichello the same car as Schumi? They simply didnt.

How can you even say webber had the same car as Vettel and barrichello the same car as Schumi? They simply didnt.

Are you saying Webber & Barrichello are as good as Schumacher & Vettel? They are not in the same league as a Schumacher, Senna, Vettel or Alonso. I can not believe that a team set out to win a constructors title would deliberately handicap one of its cars - total bullocks!

I read a poll was taken on the sound of the new cars and the results were: 70% didn't like them, 25% did & the remaining 5% didn't care. Pretty conclusive results don't you think or are there going to be people argue that the 70% are wrong!

But again, that's there opinion mate, I can over look that sound for the quality of racing were about to receive.

Yeah the race itself was pretty good. Yeah the cars sound a bit poo but as long as the racing is as competitive or more I'm happy.

But again, that's there opinion mate, I can over look that sound for the quality of racing were about to receive.

I think an opinion of 70% of people speaks for itself, what further debate can there be with stats like that? As far as "quality" racing we're about to receive goes it remains to be seen. The ambient temp for the Melb race was cool unlike what the Middle East & Asian rounds will be so reliability will really be put to the test in Malaysia. We also don't know how much Rosberg's Merc had in reserve in terms of performance. I'm picking he only had the wick turned up enough to keep Dan at bay & preserve reliability. I think if the Merc's are allowed to "race" each other we may see them disappear into the distance & everybody else fighting over the scraps.

Apart from Vettel dominating in a good car in recent years and good drivers in Adrian Newey designed cars always have (Hakkinen, Mansell) the pace between the entire rest of the field has never been so close in the 32 years I've followed F1. Remember it was only a couple of years ago that we had a different winner for the first 6 or 7 races of season. How is that boring or dominant as some of you are suggesting? I think some peoples memories are incredibly short

Webber didn't dominate, it was Vettel that did. Webber never even won a race last year.

In my books Webber won last year's Malaysian GP tongue.png

We don't know that, even though I know where you're coming from, there isnt actually any hard evidence.

Barrichello struggled to match Button consistently so I doubt he was any match for Schuey even in equal cars.

As for the topic, I dont think anyone's disputing that we're seeing good racing, or that F1 isnt unique any more; we're just talking about the sound, nothing else. I've only followed F1 since '98 but I don't like the new sound, and I'm not surprised 70% of a poll voted that way.

F1 will be fine and we all still love it, but I for one did very much enjoy being deafened at Silverstone. And when I next go to Silverstone, I fully expect to be disappointed by the lack of loudness.

That's not to say that F1 isn't the pinnacle of motorsport or providing entertainment - it's just that the majority of F1 fans want it to be loud.

If you bought a Lamborghini and it sounded like a 1.1 Ford Fiesta, but still had all the looks and speed, you wouldn't be satisfied would you?

I also agree, these V6 Turbo's, sound really flat, something like the Indy cars of today, they too used scream going down the straight aways...(music to my ears).

So I don't know what the answer is, however, they need to do something to spice the sound up.....I can see F1 loosing fans in track attendance as time moves on!

Well, that's my take on the situ!

I read a poll was taken on the sound of the new cars and the results were: 70% didn't like them, 25% did & the remaining 5% didn't care. Pretty conclusive results don't you think or are there going to be people argue that the 70% are wrong!

No, but I can argue that:

1) You can't argue the 70% are right, either.

2) The 70% will continue to watch and attend Formula One races at the same rate they have.

3) Without more information, I cannot evaluate the poll because I don't know how it was conducted. The poll may not accurately represent the population as a whole.

4) If attendance and/or TV viewership decrease, one would need a far more complex model to determine which variables cause what portion of the change than simply "this happened before that, so this caused that."

And so on.

im standing at gate 1 in Melbourne & I can barely hear the cars

That's because the old engines ruined your hearing.

Well Ron Walker the chairman of the Australian Grands Prix hearing must be damaged too & a lot of other peoples as well as to why there has been so much press coverage. Strange how both our hearing was in tact last year, however, Ron said he could hear Paul Stoddart's V10 twin seater this year from Melbourne's Botanical gardens in South Yarra several kilometers away but whilst at the track couldn't hear the new cars come down the straight. Figure that one out.

As far as your claim about the same people will keep attending the race won't be proven until next years race when it might be too late. What you have to consider is that very few people around the world have actually heard these things trackside except for those that attended the Australian Grand Prix.

Finally the poll has been conducted with those that have actually heard them up close and personal, if the result was 70% actually

Iiked the new sound I would accept that I am then the minority but that conclusively doesn't seem to be the case. Let's see how the Europeans react, especially the Italians who used to leave the track in droves the moment both Ferrari's were out of the race. That hasn't happened in recent years has it because the engines of the past 20 years have been so reliable.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, though I guess if you want it to be more, the dB level of the new engines is plenty high enough that it should be heard even with standard noise-blocking headphones/ear plugs.

If you bought a Lamborghini and it sounded like a 1.1 Ford Fiesta, but still had all the looks and speed, you wouldn't be satisfied would you?

Hmm. Stealth Lambo. Interesting idea Jem. As some little known chap once said, speak softly and carry a big stick.

I honestly never did understand the obsession with the noises that the V10s and the V8s made. Undoubtedly something was lost in translation between the mics at the track and the speakers on my T.V. but they always seemed a rather one dimensional weeeeeee weeeeee weeeeeeee. Now we get treated to all sorts of fun noises like wizzes, pops, bangs, and bwaaas.

Secondly, if I ever do get the opportunity to see a race in person, I'm sure the lack of stupidly loud noises will make me as happy as a clam. I never did like loud noises.

As much as I miss the high pitch revving engines, the current sound is IMO acceptable,hey if it brings more races like we just saw in Australia where driving are trying to hold onto them like a bucking bull, they can sound like fart noises for all I care.