Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

Sounds About Engine Noise

Damn vegetarians they ruin every meal/party/christmas

You are looking at it wrong. The more vegans there are, the more meat we have.

Thank you namechanged - finally someone who gets what I'm trying to say

Sorry apples if you don't remember me agreeing with you.

Bet ya Vettel would be loving it if he was leading the championship.

Bernie has now changed his tune, he's said today that after hearing the engines again in malaysia they're actually better than he thought!

I'm listening to michael bolton. great man.

I acknowledge the unusualness but I generally find I hate everything except love ballads - of which michael bolton is a master.

Tonight I have to go to an 80's bar, which is not my bag. Tunes like the ghostbusters theme, Rick Astley, Cyndi Lauper etc. Meh.

Ohh rick astley, man my mum use to blast his vinyl when I was a kid. The man with only two dance moves. Lol

Surely some modified exhausts could help perk up the sound. As it is, it's just a straight tube basically out the back of the Turbo.

Some engines sound kind of ok with the onboard footage, others sound week and farty. But trackside, they all seem to sound crap in my view. F1 is in real danger of turning off even more fans, and I think it's been declining for awhile.

Surely some modified exhausts could help perk up the sound. As it is, it's just a straight tube basically out the back of the Turbo.

Some engines sound kind of ok with the onboard footage, others sound week and farty. But trackside, they all seem to sound crap in my view. F1 is in real danger of turning off even more fans, and I think it's been declining for awhile.

Agreed. The true impact probably won't be known until 2015

Look, I feared this last year when I heard that the turbo was coming back, sound is crap? I agree but surely there is some positive to take out of it? Like how the drivers now have to hold onto these like bucking bulls, yes an exhaust mod would be great, but honestly IMO, if people are going to turn away due to the sound, the question you have to ask yourself is, iam I a true f1 fan? I say this as IMO sound doesn't matter if the racing is good, am I wrong? Why not all this fuss around formula e? Is it because you know what to expect before watching it?

I guess Formula E has been launched as electric from the very onset so people have an idea what to expect

I guess Formula E has been launched as electric from the very onset so people have an idea what to expect

And no one did with these engines? Come on mate I knew this was going to happen, you can't tell me you guys didnt either? That's why it's v8 supercars not v6 as they know it would sound nothing like a rumbling v8

Yes of course I knew the new F1 engines would sound like crap, I've been worried about it since they announced the new regs years ago. So much so that my best mate and I specifically went to Monza last year to experience the Tifosi whilst the cars still sounded good. Wouldn't fly all that way this year although it would be good to see in person the Italians reactions when the cars come out in FP1 & I think it'll be ugly

So I'm at the track yesterday, and talking to a fellow driver, whom, like me is presently on pitwall duties thanks to doctor's orders. Mike, along with two other people I race with, went to Melbourne, and as such we were having a discussion on all things motorsport. And I listen to what Mike has to say as he is a walking encyclopedia on all things motorsport, and has attended more GP than Mr Apples will have hot dinners, as well as writing columns for several print magazines, online websites, and is often drafted in to local sports talk back radio, the latter of which he was asked to come in and discuss on air the current state of Formula One fter the Melbourne GP.

Posed this question by the radio announcer:

In a rock n' roll sense, what is the difference between today's engines and those from previous seasons?

Mike replied "if an engine from last year was AC/DC, then this year it's the Eagles"

This may be correct. But Mike also went on to qualify that to be able hear all the other sounds of the F1 car was new and welcomed, as was the increased level of car control required by the drivers. And....who said that the Eagles were a horrible band anyway?

The sound is different. The sounds throughout F1 and any race car have changed throughout the years and will continue to do so. But if that is all you think there is to F1, then sadly, you're missing the point of F1.

Missing the point according to who - you HandyNZL? Like it's been said many times throughout this forum everyone is entitled to their opinion. So what you're saying is just because Mike has attended more Grands Prix than me and writes for columns that his opinion is right and mine is wrong? Some of the drivers themselves have stated that the noise is part of F1, are they wrong too? And where do you get off telling me I'm missing the point of F1 just because I like the noise from previous years cars. Many people I know enjoy and think the noise is part of F1

Never said the noise wasn't part of F1. Don't put words onto my screen that aren't what I said.

Likewise, where did I say that Mike was right and you were wrong?

All I said was that Mike and I were discussing it. The only reference to you was that he has been to many many many GP, and as such, I hold his opinion in great respect. You seem to value the fact that you have been to GP, and Melbourne 2014 in particular gives you an unbridled belief that your point is the only correct one, and nothing Ric, Eric, Andres or anyone else types can possibly be accurate enough.

So here we have Mike, whom I was talking to yesterday about F1, and I having not even read this thread until twenty minutes ago, was in the exact same position as you, being trackside at Melbourne. Infact, there were three of them there that I was talking to and that was what they were saying.

Take it any way you want, but I will stand by my last line in that if you think sound is the be all and end all to F1, then you are missing the point of F1.

And even though you might think that is directed at you, I am sorry to inform you, but it isn't. And never was. Unfortunately there aren't many other words in the English language that I could use instead of "you" in that sentence.

But whilst we're on "points", what do you (Apple) think the point of F1 is?

Different people take different things from F1 there is no right or wrong point . Whether people like the racing, the technology, the skill of the drivers the noise or whatever doesn't mean someone is missing the point as you put it just because different people may prefer different things. The topics of the threads I've started have been derived around the noise, not driver skill, the racing, the politics or technology they are all separate topics

Different people take different things from F1 there is no right or wrong point . Whether people like the racing, the technology, the skill of the drivers the noise or whatever doesn't mean someone is missing the point as you put it just because different people may prefer different things. The topics of the threads I've started have been derived around the noise, not driver skill, the racing, the politics or technology they are all separate topics

Well said

I must admit watching Malaysia I found that I'd already pretty much got used to the sound and it hardly bothered me.

And I loved that it actually looked really difficult to drive the cars when we saw onboard footage!

Bernie said a couple of weeks ago that he's asked 'engineers' about changing the noise eg modifying exhausts and he's been told by said engineers that it's not possible.

I'll tell you what, it's alot easier to sleep on the couch now with the F1 on replay on the tele. No screaming banshees to wake me out of my slumber. I don't normally fall asleep watching a race, unless it is utterly boring, or I'm short of sleep due to work and so on.

Most likely because of Kimi getting punted by Mag Jr, but I felt this race until the Massa/Bottas almost drama to be a real bore.

And no, I'm still not liking the sound. I felt so disconnected watching the race especially the helicopter footage. All silent and wow, it just makes them seem slower even. Thumbs down.