Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apples127

Sounds About Engine Noise

I'm suggesting I'm yet to read a poll with a majority of people saying they like the new formula, maybe there has been one but I've not seen it through GPToday.

The Bahrain race was entertaining, owing mainly to the safety car that put paid to Hamilton's gap over Rosberg & the fact the laps behind the safety car ended concern over running out of fuel. Aided also by the fact that Mercedes allowed their drivers to actually race each other & hence with the wick turned up we saw a true indication of their pace over the rest of the field - something to the tune of 2 seconds per lap faster? If the safety car not been deployed it would've been a bit more of a procession of a race. I just hope Mercedes continue to allow their drivers to fight but if that is the case it's only a matter of time before there'll be contact followed by tears & Multi 21 will be deployed. Look what happened to Prost & Senna when they went head to head - great drama for the spectators though

Well, if you look at post no. 132 on this thread, you will see that Eric (Massa) had replied to you and quoted this -

Want to play with numbers? English-language F1 TV viewership is up 102% in the United States.

http://www.racer.com...ening-two-races

I would suggest that is more telling than a poll, because essentially people are voting 'with their feet' as it were.

There was plenty of action before the safety car. I have seen races over the years that have had a safety car and it has not increased the excitement, it was still a precession after the SC. So, in essence, if the new rules were that bad, I would have expected to see a precession after the safety car in Bahrain,which we didn't.

The fuel situation is no different to last year, how many times did the teams have to turn down the wick last year to last the race? In fact teams are suggesting that the 100kg fuel limit is not going to be an issue, safety cars or not. We will see how that one pans out over the course of the season, I guess.

Surely you mean "procession"? Because "precession" is (according to Wikipedia): "...a change in the first Euler angle, whereas the third Euler angle defines the rotation itself. In other words, the axis of rotation of a precessing body itself rotates around another axis."

And I'm sure the racing was not something like that! :)

Anyways, I agree with you, Paul.

Surely you mean "procession"? Because "precession" is (according to Wikipedia): "...a change in the first Euler angle, whereas the third Euler angle defines the rotation itself. In other words, the axis of rotation of a precessing body itself rotates around another axis."

And I'm sure the racing was not something like that! smile.png

Anyways, I agree with you, Paul.

Well, if you had actually any understanding of Euler angles, apart from what you had read on wiki, then you would know that's exactly what the race looked like :whistling:

Well, if you had actually any understanding of Euler angles, apart from what you had read on wiki, then you would know that's exactly what the race looked like whistling.gif

I'm getting depression about the progression of your precession :)

Well, if you had actually any understanding of Euler angles, apart from what you had read on wiki, then you would know that's exactly what the race looked like whistling.gif

Oh, puleeze, of course I know what an Euler angle is! It's when...er...the thing...er...with the other thing...and then you make some calculations and stuff and...

Whitmarsh has to go!!! :whistling:

I'm getting depression about the progression of your precession smile.png

Geez, that's a lot of syllables for a poor scouse boy to comprehend. It's a bit of an interludity to the contrifibularity!

Oh, puleeze, of course I know what an Euler angle is! It's when...er...the thing...er...with the other thing...and then you make some calculations and stuff and...

Whitmarsh has to go!!! whistling.gif

:lol:

Is he still there?? Not seen him for ages.

Great news to hear an Historic F1 series with drivers and cars from the early 1990's may get off the ground then we'll hear what real racing cars sound like! Probably best they don't run the series as a support class at Grands Prix because these old cars will make this years cars sound like absolute rubbish!

Is that you in your avatar pic I meant to ask as I love karting

Yeah that's me in action at a meeting in Rochester Victoria, I've been karting since I was 17

Sweet have you got one now? I've got a ax9 leopard TAG.

Great news to hear an Historic F1 series with drivers and cars from the early 1990's may get off the ground then we'll hear what real racing cars sound like!

Eh? Is this a news story I've missed? I have so many questions, please tell me this is not just a rumour! Is there a link?

Is there much of a karting scene Down Under? I'd imagine you'd have to drive 500 miles to your nearest karting circuit, but then I am an ignorant pom.

No your not far of Jem, I live on the Gold Coast (bout 5mins from lovely surfers paradise and there race circuit) and there is no kart circuit here. I have to drive a minimum of 2hrs to get to a circuit and that's the closest, by the time I pay for fuel in the car, track fees and such, it's a bloody rip of. Our local council consistanly complains about local racers and street drifters yet we have no place or facility to go in terms of circuit use for racing or drifting. Bloody clowns they are. I went to a local council meeting once and I stood up and I asked them to justify what a "hoon" is, there answer was anyone going over the speed limit. This is what I said, "so your saying 90-95% of people in this room are hoons including the counsellor and mayor as hardly no one sticks to the speed limit, they go with the flow of traffic instead" no on could answer my question, why is that?

Eh? Is this a news story I've missed? I have so many questions, please tell me this is not just a rumour! Is there a link?

Is there much of a karting scene Down Under? I'd imagine you'd have to drive 500 miles to your nearest karting circuit, but then I am an ignorant pom.

Jem there was an article today on GPToday about Historic F1.

As far as the karting scene Down Under goes it's pretty big. In the State of Victoria there are 17 clubs, in Melbourne there are two tracks within 30 mins of where I live and another 1 hour away in Geelong. Webric lives in Queensland, a much larger State geographically so I can understand his pain with the travel involved although I would've thought Toowoomba wouldn't be too far from Gold Coast?

Sweet have you got one now? I've got a ax9 leopard TAG.

Damn right I have one - or two actually. I race Clubman Light in an Fernando Alonso chassis & have an X30 Tag on an Arrow XE1 but about to update the chassis to an Fernando Alonso Victory. My big meeting of the year is the East Coast Over 40's Titles held in Coffs Harbour every Queens Birthday weekend in June - an awesome track and fantastic atmosphere of old farts like myself maintaining their youth! I've won 4 titles in total at this event over the past 6 years.

Wish I'd been at the Council meeting with you to stick it up Em!

Jem there was an article today on GPToday about Historic F1.

As far as the karting scene Down Under goes it's pretty big. In the State of Victoria there are 17 clubs, in Melbourne there are two tracks within 30 mins of where I live and another 1 hour away in Geelong. Webric lives in Queensland, a much larger State geographically so I can understand his pain with the travel involved although I would've thought Toowoomba wouldn't be too far from Gold Coast?

Toowoomba still 2 and half hours away.

Damn right I have one - or two actually. I race Clubman Light in an Fernando Alonso chassis & have an X30 Tag on an Arrow XE1 but about to update the chassis to an Fernando Alonso Victory. My big meeting of the year is the East Coast Over 40's Titles held in Coffs Harbour every Queens Birthday weekend in June - an awesome track and fantastic atmosphere of old farts like myself maintaining their youth! I've won 4 titles in total at this event over the past 6 years.

Wish I'd been at the Council meeting with you to stick it up Em!

Wow man that's fnn awesome your still putting in the laps and sound quite succesful to, wouldn't mind popping down to check you old boys out.

This season has all the hall marks of 1988 when Senna & Prost disappeared into the distance every race (winning 15 from 16) & the rest of the field fought over the scraps. Bring back normally aspirated engines & at least inject some decent sound into the precession.

At least in 1989 when they banned turbo's leveled the playing field a bit more even though MacLaren were still on top. Surely it must be possible to have a formula that is "green" & normally aspirated so the soul & sound of F1 can return & fans that are trackside are not bored to tears by the sound of this years vacuum cleaners passing us by. Actually it's not just trackside that they sound like Sh#t, they're just as unspectacular on TV........zzzzz

Funny, a lot of fans are actually enjoying the racing, as for the sound if any fan thinks that sound is everything about racing I would question their reasons for watching any form of motor sport.

F1 has changed many times in the 35 years I have watched and no doubt it will change again, sound never as been and never will be a reason to watch F1

Exatcly what I think, sound isn't everything.

Funny, a lot of fans are actually enjoying the racing, as for the sound if any fan thinks that sound is everything about racing I would question their reasons for watching any form of motor sport.

F1 has changed many times in the 35 years I have watched and no doubt it will change again, sound never as been and never will be a reason to watch F1

It may not be for you but it's not what a lot of people I've spoken to track side have said. I was at the Senna festival at Imola and his old Lotus had people's hairs standing on end for those that were around the pit garage when they started & revved it.

It may not be for you but it's not what a lot of people I've spoken to track side have said. I was at the Senna festival at Imola and his old Lotus had people's hairs standing on end for those that were around the pit garage when they started & revved it.

Well I don't really worry what others think, I go of what pleases me and ATM I have to say iam quite entertained, regardless if the mercs are running away.

Well I don't really worry what others think, I go of what pleases me and ATM I have to say iam quite entertained, regardless if the mercs are running away.

Understand & I also go with what pleases me and this year's configuration of cars doesn't