Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

New Cars, Much Slower Says Kimi.

Kimi Raikkonen has stated that its impossible to compare this car to last years as its alot slower. 10 seconds infact, 10 seconds slower than the fastest time set on day one of testing at Jerez last year and nearly 4 seconds on gp2's fastest time on the same circuit. I hope there quicker once all the bugs are ironed out, that's a massive deficit to close. Surly they can't be that much slower once everything is sorted and there ready to go 100%. If so, the FIA want to be ashamed of themselves. I had a fear that this would be the case. Just hope it's the same as 1998 when the teams got Albert park they were 5s of the previous years pace. But 10, that's an eternity for a Grand Prix driver.

Kinda goes without saying really. Smaller engines=slower cars. I think the biggest issue is reliability. All I'm seeing on Twitter is cars coming to a halt. As you said, hopefully they'll iron out all the bugs & issues.

Mate how could the pinnacle of Motorsport be slower than a feeder category, this is just wrong, I don't want to be an f1 driver anymore of rather be a gp2 driver now, this has to get sorted or as previously mentioned, f1 is in a bad shape.

Nah it's just that Bernie is trying to open up new markets by having circuits which are angled steeply downhill to make up the speed loss....

So only a matter of time before the Grand Prix of Nepal, Ural F1 and the Rockie Mountain Ring :)

Got contradicting reports, kimi says there slower and the times agree with him button must be referring to the initial torque at the lower rev range.

Yeah I read Button saying although there's less power it actually feels more powerful and exciting driving the car because of the torquey-ness.

Whilst we're mentioning GP2, why aren't GP2 cars also having hybrid engines if that's the way FIA want to go?

Yeah I read Button saying although there's less power it actually feels more powerful and exciting driving the car because of the torquey-ness.

Whilst we're mentioning GP2, why aren't GP2 cars also having hybrid engines if that's the way FIA want to go?

Yeah, good point, I guess it's because hardly no ones watches it, Here in Australia we don't get televised gp2 races.

To be honest I dont think anyone in UK watches it either, I love motorsport and I have no idea what TV channel even shows it. Actually I think Sky might show it on their F1 channel (sky isn't free you gotta pay for it).

BBC went through a phase a few years back (quite a few) of showing highlights - this was the year before Hammy joined Macca and I remember the race where he drove from last to first....

Nowadays they probably only broadcast it to the Pitcairn Islands and South Georgia; issuing a sticker to place on the screen over the GP2 logo to say: "This is F1, really" :D

2006 Hamilton vs Piquet was the only year I really paid any attention, but only because there was some english guy who looked like he was going to take over the (motorsport) world

The only sub series I've ever paid attention to was A1GP. Man that turned out great didn't it! Just like test drivers and 3rd drivers, GP2 is a farce. It's not a feeder series at all in that sense, but rather it seems some of it's driver are able to make the jump over. But it's not to due to talent from what I've seen, but the package. AKA. How much sponsorship they can bring, what country they are from and so on.

It would be interesting to see a list of GP2 title winners from the last 10 years, to see if any haven't stepped up to F1.

Who won GP2 in 2013? I dont even know!

Well after I had that thought, I then did the research:

2005: Rosberg

2006: Hamilton

2007: Glock

2008: Pantano

2009: Hulkenberg

2010: Maldonado

2011: Grosjean

2012: Valsecchi

2013: Fabio Leimer (who??)

So actually I'd say winning the GP2 title is a good move as most of those drivers stepped up to F1.

No idea what Leimer is doing in 2014 though. Valsecchi just got unlucky by joining a team that then turned into a sinking ship.

I'd love to be able to even grab a glimpse of a gp2 race, here in aus, your lucky to even get to see the start of a f1 race on time, there always pressed for time because a movie that was on prior to the gp which everyone would have seen a millions times, runs longer than expected.

here in aus, your lucky to even get to see the start of a f1 race on time, there always pressed for time because a movie that was on prior to the gp which everyone would have seen a millions times, runs longer than expected.

LOL, and I thought NBC here in the states was bad! :D

LOL, and I thought NBC here in the states was bad! :D

And we got an Aussie driver you think they would be all over it, does NBC really have a show about nothing?

And we got an Aussie driver you think they would be all over it, does NBC really have a show about nothing?

NBC just is incredibly talented at missing all the crucial moments of the race to commercials (and this is not just bad luck, they obviously have determined beforehand when to have the breaks, and there's no flexibility with that, no matter what the action on the track is, but given that more or less half of the show time is spent on commercials, it is kinda unavoidable).

Actually I'd wager than the F1 coverage here in Australia is some of the best free to air has to offer. We no longer get MB's grid walk, but when you watch the race live, they start the broadcast sometimes an hour earlier. So I'm not sure what you're referring to WebRic about it being late.

James Allen is also under contract to give his pre-race analysis before the broadcast which is sometimes live, but normaly taped earlier in the day or the day before. And they also have a live phone call with him just before the race. Also they also use Crofty for some races as well.

The Aus broadcast team includes Alan Jones (ex F1 WDC), and Darryl Beattie (es MotoGP rider during Mic Doohan's years).

Other than not getting the grid walk, we get every single race live from start to finish. Like the Canadian GP that just went on and on and on the other year.

They do take quite a few ad breaks, but Greg Rust, the main presenter is on it, and sometimes just as he's announcing they will be taking a break, and the radio graphic comes up on screen, hes says we'll stay with the coverage until after the radio message etc. Not like some broadcasts where they go to ad breaks regardless of what is happening.

So I would say I think we have possibly one of the best free to air broadcasts of F1 in the world. At least now that the BBC doesn't offer every race life on free to air.

What iam referring to is missing the pre race show because if some crap movie, that's what iam saying, it's far from the coverage we initially got when one hd or ten took over the rights, to me it seems Australia could give a crap what happens to our drivers. It's only cricket and rugby league, that's all every one wants to watch so they cater for that.

Can't stand Greg rust.

The repeats are low on the extra race stuff etc. The actual live races, depending on whether Channel 10 televise it on ONE or TEN, still are good quality. I know they aren't late because often I am watching something else on the other channels, or doing something else. I know I've got at least half an hour minimum before the actual race starts from when they start broadcasting.

Channel 10 don't get much right. But in my view they get the F1 spot on. The only other sport I think that is covered as it should be is the Tour de France and other classics by SBS. They do a fantastic job.

I don't love or dislike Greg Rust. But I do know I like him a whole lot better than if Channel 9 had the gig. Just imagine Darryl Eastlake and Tubby Taylor or whomever from their stable of commentators doing the show. It would be F'n awful.

There's been quite a few times, where iam from in aus where the movie credits end and it switches over and there already doing the formation lap or waiting for the lights to go out. It's appealing IMO, but yet there is bloody rugby all over tv, plus I remeber when channel one came out, didnt they boast that it was a 24/7 sports channel? Iam pretty sure they did. But sometimes there is bloody movies or some jargon on and even playing the same thing as ten at the same time, wtf? why not replay an old gp or something and keep it a sports channel, then I believe the coverage of f1 would get even better.