Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Hoovers, Dildos, Tripods And Any Other Name You Want To Call Them.

James Allen was asking his posters recently to come up with terms and names to describe the new noses. I think they fall into different categories. We have the lawn mover, vacuum cleaner / hoover nose of the Ferrari. The "Dildo" prothetics of the Force India, Torro Rosso and Caterham, and the "Tripod" noses of the McLaren, Williams and RBR. I guess the Merc is in a 4th catergory or could be also considered a "Hoover" as well.

I really hope they sort this sh|t out quick smart and proper. The protruding noses are dangerous and litterly a spear or battering ram at the front of the car. I may have worked for the Orcs and Urai Kai in LOTR ...

Grond.jpeg

but it has no place in motorsport. Surely the most simple fix would have been to make the lowest point protrude no further than the front wing. Thus the teams would not be able to come under the rules with having the front of the noses protruding upwards of a foot or more out the front of the car.

The only car I've ever seen with a nose bump on, and one I consider one of the finest examples of a single seat racer was the 1993 Newman Haas Ford Indycar. It just so happened to be a certain Nigel Mansells car as well.

4849919677_64d5130d87.jpg

It seems the only 3 teams that really attempted to do the nose justice are Merc, Ferrari and RBR. Hopefully someone can be done, at least on the grounds of safely to safe this year from becoming the laughing stock of the motorsport world.

For georgessake it's bad enough that the forums are devoid of most intelligent life, but all this constant whinning and moaning is really shameful. How old are you people? Twelve? Bitching against the current state of affairs and saying "nowadays sucks, but in the old times..." doesn't make you look older and wiser, makes you look like a complete ignorant moron.

1) "Waaah...cars don't sound great like in the old days!!" Really??? F1 cars have changed their engine sounds a gazillion times and every time was the same stupid complaint. Geez...in the old times they sounded clappity-clap and they crapped on the track...now those were the real macho man old time races.

2) "Wahh...cars look ugly, but in the old times..." Really??? Have you ever seen a "teapot" Renault? The famous 6 wheeler Tyrrell? Any of the billion of awful designs in the past?

3) "Waaahh...whatever happens now is a farce! In the old times..." Really??? Ever heard of Balestre?

Suck it up, bunch of wusses, and enjoy good F1 if you are able to recognize it, that is.

I've heard and seen all your "wahhh" ing about and I still prefer old school, whats your response to that? Or cuz I don't agree with you, means iam wrong?

For georgessake it's bad enough that the forums are devoid of most intelligent life, but all this constant whinning and moaning is really shameful. How old are you people? Twelve? Bitching against the current state of affairs and saying "nowadays sucks, but in the old times..." doesn't make you look older and wiser, makes you look like a complete ignorant moron.

1) "Waaah...cars don't sound great like in the old days!!" Really??? F1 cars have changed their engine sounds a gazillion times and every time was the same stupid complaint. Geez...in the old times they sounded clappity-clap and they crapped on the track...now those were the real macho man old time races.

2) "Wahh...cars look ugly, but in the old times..." Really??? Have you ever seen a "teapot" Renault? The famous 6 wheeler Tyrrell? Any of the billion of awful designs in the past?

3) "Waaahh...whatever happens now is a farce! In the old times..." Really??? Ever heard of Balestre?

Suck it up, bunch of wusses, and enjoy good F1 if you are able to recognize it, that is.

As a passionate fan of the sport who has always remained a fan regardless of what is happening, I have every right to be voice my displeasure at the current state and look of the cars. Comparing them to the 6 wheel Tyrrell's is irrelevant. We're in the modern day era of F1, but the current rule interpretations of the F1 cars are both dangerous and probably some of the most farcical and ugly I have ever seen. These spear nosed cars will not last half a season. We are in for some real trouble and fingers crossed no driver injuries.

We've put up with a ton of crap in our beloved sport, and for the most part have rolled with the punches even if we care to moan or voice our disappoval, but this in a whole new league. I'm confident Charlie will do something about it.

Handy, whilst they almost have a dildo nose, the RBR is the best of the speary prosthetic designs. The choice of colour also helps. It's no where near the league of ugly the Force India and Caterham have at the moment.

I still put the Merc as the best looking, the Ferrari as the second best, and the RBR third.

I agree with your entire post, except IMO I think the sauber looks the best followed by the Williams and Redbull. Force India tricked us all, we all thought the black nose was the same width as the car, didnt we not? It's the camera angle and there wise choice of colors that crated that optical illusion. I also like the Mclaren, but the bulge on the Ferrari and the merc before it dips down, that's what gets me, sauber and Williams made it one smooth shape and IMO have kept it closest to an actual low nose f1 car from the past. FIA need to say that the nose cone has to be one width, not a multiple width and still falling into the designated width limit. Imagine if lotus do run that "double spear/horns" Maldonado can take 2 out at once. Good thinking lotus, embrace his eratic driving style.

@Andres: I quite like the 6-wheeler Tyrell. Both aesthetically and the engineering reason behind it.

@Kool and the Gang: I agree re the Caterham. I was kinda hoping the little guys might come up with a trick, but....no

@Ricardo: I was thinking the same thing today - the rule should state a minimum width for a minimum length from the tip going rearwards, like 150mm or 200mm wide. The old noses wouldn't have been any wider than that at the tips.

@The Universe: I was thinking, and maybe hoping, that we would see noses not unlike McLaren had only three years ago when it was low. Obviously that style of nose no longe stacks up in the wind tunnel, but surely it worked back then, so why not now?

I dont think anyone's saying waah or whining about it, I think people are voicing their opinion which is that the noses are ugly - even the FIA agree because they're saying these noses aren't in the spirit of the rules and the BBC think that the FIA are going to change the rule again for 2015 to avoid these ugly noses carrying on.

At least for now it's a novelty and giving us all something to debate about, and we'll look back at this year and laugh at how ridiculous the cars looked.

120206-carrosfeios-09.jpg

Strangely when this car was all white it looked butch ugly, but with a splash of paint you might go a lap or two with her (proving as with women, so too are race cars...it's all in the dressing)

First pic - is that a James Hunt or a Pedro Diniz helmet? Now THAT's what a stepped nosecone actually looks like!

Second pic - looks like it should be in that cartoon 'the jetsons'

OgZb2iGx.jpg

Somehow Gilles agreed to drive this strangely winged Ferrari...perhaps they were trying to cure his tendency to oversteer when driving on the straights, as he was want to do?

oursid.jpg

And this...I don't know where to even start....other than it intrigues me, and I now want to know more about it. Must send this pic off to a friend that is an egghead on such things.

The Die Hard sticker suggests US based, so perhaps a turbine Indy car???

First pic - is that a James Hunt or a Pedro Diniz helmet? Now THAT's what a stepped nosecone actually looks like!

Second pic - looks like it should be in that cartoon 'the jetsons'

It's a 1979 Ensign N179...Mo Nunn's team. You have a choice of drivers; Derek Daly, Patrick Gaillard, or Marc Surer.

The correct answer, for those playing at home, is Derek Daly.

Just found this clip of Ayrton Senna qualifying in Jerez, just listen to the sound of the beast, the one handed driving though corners while shifting up, constant wheel corrections. At one point there are two slower cars infront, the reactions are incredible, still ahead of today's boys. He didnt loose anytime, today they would have been stuck behind them. Anyway, hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

http://m.gpupdate.net/en/videos/4522/senna-puts-it-on-pole-at-jerez/

I have to applaud Ferrari for their genius nose design for 2014. The car is so damn ugly, that people will refuse to look at it and won't notice how poorly it is performing. It will save Ferrari countless hours having to make up excuses to the public and crying for relief from the FIA rules committee.

I have to applaud Ferrari for their genius nose design for 2014. The car is so damn ugly, that people will refuse to look at it and won't notice how poorly it is performing. It will save Ferrari countless hours having to make up excuses to the public and crying for relief from the FIA rules committee.

Haha...those sneaky Italians with a cunning plan...

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I think the whole thing about Ferrari's wind tunnel not be aligned properly last year was smoke and mirrors too. A good way to not get fired basically, and squeeze out another year of employment.

But seeing the headlines about Bernie stating Ferrari are the reason we have double points!? I'm both shocked and not shocked. Clearly Ferrari were in favour of them because if they weren't, they are the only team that holds the power to veto something. And not shocked, because well they are Ferrari! Mama mia.

I think the whole thing about Ferrari's wind tunnel not be aligned properly last year was smoke and mirrors too. A good way to not get fired basically, and squeeze out another year of employment.

But seeing the headlines about Bernie stating Ferrari are the reason we have double points!? I'm both shocked and not shocked. Clearly Ferrari were in favour of them because if they weren't, they are the only team that holds the power to veto something. And not shocked, because well they are Ferrari! Mama mia.

Some one just shoot that whinging,old f##k. He is unbelievable, just rotten that he didnt get a say in the new rules and regs. Why even say that? Stiring the pot already.