Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Teams To Meet To Discuss Qualifying Tweaks

All teams are going to meet at the Bahrain test to discuss potentially making it mandatory to do a flying lap in Q3, and extend it by 5 minutes to allow all drivers to do 2 flying laps.

I think that's a good thing - will remove the situation whereby a driver who scraped into Q3 then sits in the pits to save tyres knowing he probably won't qualify higher than 10th anyway.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/477800/F1_to_discuss_qualifying_changes_for_2014_season/

Really the only thing I can see happening is that those teams that now just sit in the garage, will drive around really really slowly to save tires if they are forced to do a flying lap.

This may be an unpopular choice, but I want to see Q go in either 2 ways.

1) Go back to the single flying lap format used in the early 00's. The thing I can't stand the most, is not that teams don't make a run in the current Q3 format, but of drivers b1tching about being held up. This isn't pre-school, but it's ridiculous that every race there is someone moaning and the stewards decide whether to penalize this or not.

At least with the flying lap, you have the track all to yourself. No excuses. You put in a lap, you get a result. The V8's do a flying lap system and it works just fine. In fact it's far better for the viewers, because you can see each drivers lap in the full. Honestly what do we see in the current Q1 to Q3 format on TV anyway? Hardly anything, accept the camera on the pit straight after the time has run down, and you see 6 cars all come across one after another.

2) Go back to having 1hr of qualifying. No flying laps, or hot laps. Rather, you have 1hr to set the best time. No Q1, No Q2 and no time wasting Q3. 1hr, you get the job done, or you're starting from the back.

The Q1, Q2 and Q3 method of qualifying is horrible. It's boring as hell and the teams have manipulated it by not running if they feel they don't need to. The thought they might bring in Qualy tyres, would cause me to jump off a cliff. It would only make things 100% worse, but in the FIA style of getting things done, that's all they know how to do. Introduce rules to stop things from happening, but as a consequence, it all ends up being far worse.

My vote, is bring back single lap qualifying, and package it nicely on television. I want to see these drivers doing their thing, not just a name up on top of the leaderboard, and hope that maybe they willr eplay the pole position lap at a later date. I want to see all the drivers, not just the pole lap.

That's right monkey, the way v8 supercars have done it should be replicated in f1. The single lap qualifying was awesome, every driver was on the limit because the had a much better chance of getting pole, as a mistake is all it took for a front running car to miss out on the first few rows,

Mark Webber was brilliant at single lap qualy back in 2003. Got some good qualy positions in that cactus Jaguar. It would most certainly put an end to the "no show" in qualy 3 if you don't put a lap in like they do now, you wi start at the back not p8/9/10 like we have seen. I Beleive Schumi started the "no show" qualy 3 back in 2012 as the merc was notorious for tyre deg. Now it's a trend by most top 10 regular runners.

It just hit me. The perfect solution.

Leave Q1 and Q2 as they are. Q3 becomes a top 10 shootout. One lap to set a time. If you don't set a lap time, and someone in Q2 had a faster lap time than you, you drop out of the top 10. The person who came 11, or fastest out of the Q2 dropouts, gets promoted.

Charlie, make it happen! or Bernie, or Luca or someone.

EDIT: Ok maybe it's not the perfection solution, but it's a giant improvement. It won't stop the drivers whining and whinging in Q2 about how they get held up. But it gives us a chance to see the top 10 on that race day, to be able to see in full their laps. Thus it solves the problem of Q3.

Mate that's a brilliant idea seriously, if only we could get in contact with the FIA, we could submit your idea, because unless the totally reformat qualifying, that's the best possible solution. Brilliant idea monkey. Especially a q2 driver taking the position. But that might make teams go "that's ok we'll start 11th. No you won't, you go back to the end of q2 list, that would work then.

New details have emerged. I like it.

"It was reported that a likely solution would be to supply drivers with an extra set of tyres for the final ‘Q3′ hitout.

Writing in Autosprint, correspondent Roberto Chinchero said the extra set, only eligible to be used in Q3, will be the ‘option’ – or fastest – tyre.

According to the reported proposal, drivers will also be encouraged to push hard in Q3 by ending the rule that required cars to start the race on the last tyre used in the top-ten hitout.

Now, top-ten drivers will start on the tyre with which they set their best Q2 time.

The Q3 changes, likely to increase track activity, will mean the session is extended from 10 to 12 minutes, giving drivers more time to fit in their additional ‘runs’.

And the lengthened Q3 will mean Q1 is reduced from 20 to 18 minutes.

Meanwhile, for drivers who do not make it into Q3, they will be given an extra set of ‘option’ tyres for the race, also discouraging them from saving tyres in qualifying."

So it's more beneficial not to make it into Q3, becuase you get an extra pair of softs for the race over those that make it into Q3. Scrub them in in Q2 by doing one flyer, then you have a spanking new set for the race, and a three lap old set on hand too, which is no different to how the tyres were for the top ten drivers last year (except they didn't have another set of green tyres).

Duh...

Monkeys idea is still the best IMO, don't do a lap in q3 or it's slower that the top driver in q2 that was eliminated, they take the position.