Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

What's Your Biggest F1-Related 'boast'?

Whilst there's not much to talk about....share your anecdotes. Or if not, your best-ever F1 experience eg attending a great race.

For example mine would be that I attended the 2010 Italian GP as a VIP guest of the Williams team. It enabled me to stroll around the paddock and have my photo taken with Buemi, Liuzzi, John Button, and even Sir Jackie Stewart! Also got to watch the race in Williams hospitality, overlooking the pit straight, and got a tour of the pitlane and Williams garage.

Also (seperately), met Jenson at his book-signing and got Eddie Irvine's and Justin Wilson's autographs.

I went to Japan for the 2012 Japanese GP, areguably the greatest season in F1. Also I got a Williams jacket.

I drove this:

005-BRM-P201-092.jpg

.....out of the pit garage and into the trailer (about ten metres).

Only stalled it twice.... dam.gif

What do you call one of those? Better than any of us have ever managed I expect, even if it was just 10 metres!

I have driven one of these but anyone can turn up and pay money to drive one. Did blow my pants off though.

untitled.bmp

I sat in a (working) Footwork F1 car which David Brabham was running at an event in Brands Hatch.....

I was a guest of Benetton in a testing session in Silverstone prior to the Canadian GP in 1995 and spent the day with free access to garage and pitlane. Schui was testing. Tried to get an autograph but the pen did not work so he grinned at me and gave me an "autodent" smile.png Met Johnny Herbert, Damon Hill and David Coulthard. Rubens Barrichello nearly ran me over on his scooter (my fault I crossed the pit lane without looking!)

Have been on tours of Benetton and Footwork factories.

Was in a corporate driving do in Bruntingthorpe hosted by Jonathan Palmer, Mark Blundell was one of the guests and we all took part in various events inc driving a Formula 2000 car. Needless to say, Mark won smile.png

Last year went to the Williams factory to their museum and had a go in the simulator there, came 2nd! (very difficult)

I sat in a (working) Footwork F1 car which David Brabham was running at an event in Brands Hatch.....

I was a guest of Benetton in a testing session in Silverstone prior to the Canadian GP in 1995 and spent the day with free access to garage and pitlane. Schui was testing. Tried to get an autograph but the pen did not work so he grinned at me and gave me an "autodent" smile.png Met Johnny Herbert, Damon Hill and David Coulthard. Rubens Barrichello nearly ran me over on his scooter (my fault I crossed the pit lane without looking!)

Was in a corporate driving do in Bruntingthorpe hosted by Jonathan Palmer, Mark Blundell was one of the guests and we all took part in various events inc driving a Formula 2000 car. Needless to say, Mark won smile.png

Last year went to the Williams factory to their museum and had a go in the simulator there, came 2nd! (very difficult)

Man great stuff!!!

Cool how did you get to be a guest of Benetton and tour their factory? I'm so jealous that you met Damon. Do you remember what he (& the others) said to you?

Coincidentally last year I also went to the Williams museum and drove their simulator. But I came first! Maybe you came second to me haha! I was there for an awards ceremony with the company I work for (Allianz). I also got told off in the museum for standing next to Hill's '96 car.

I was a guest of Compaq (my company used to buy a lot of computers) and at the time, Compaq sponsored Benetton. Our Account Manager was an F1 fan and when he found out I was a fan too, got me access. It was an amazing day. I've got some video footage somewhere and some pics - might see if I can load them....

I wrote an account of it in this post from 7 years ago ( :o )

Can't remember what Damon said to be honest as it was a long time ago, but I do remember him being very warm and friendly - one of the people I was with wanted a picture and had a problem with the camera as Damon posed. Even though it took ages to sort it, he was very patient, friendly and jokey - a real gent.

The trick with the simulator is left foot braking - if I had a few more laps I could have gone a bit faster I reckon....

Loved the Williams museum though, something else to see all that collection of racing history.

I sat in Mark Webbers Jaguar, they had his car at one of the local Jaguar dealerships and to proove that f1 is nothing here in Australia, I turned up and not a single soul was there, just me and my best mate, awesome in a way as we were able to get a real hands on experience with the car but a shame to see that there is hardly anyone here that shares the same passion for a sport I so dearly love.

I a formwork carpenter and work in the building Industry workin on high rises and such and I bumped into a dog man (the guy who directs the crane via radio to the location he needs to go) and his brother is Sam Michael. I was like yeah right and he was telling all sorts of stories that I havnt heard of before either online or via newspaper and such. He then said he would bring me in some official Williams team shirts worn by his brother. The next day he said he forgot them so I immediately thought this guy was full of it. To my suprise, the next day brought me in 3 Williams team shirts and a hat that Rubens Barrichello had supposidely worn. I would place up pics but everything of mine is in boxes or in storage ATM as iam moving, yay :(.

I did meet Rubens earlier though, as my grandparents (before my pop passed away) since the very first event up until about 5yrs ago were on the main gates for the Indy race here in Surfers paradise. I know it's not f1 but so many f1 drivers/x drivers came through there gate and celebrities for that mater. I met Rubens,mark blundell,Alex zanardi,jacques villeneuve,Nigel Mansell and other celebrities such as Barry schene or how ever you spell it, he was an a hole btw,David hasselhof, got pics with most of them aswell. Rubens turned up in I think 2001 while at Ferrari to watch fellow Brazilian drivers, he was a wonderful,freindly man. Also met Greg Moore r.i.p.. Loved going there to help my nan and pop, just couldn't Beleive how rude and arrogant Barry was, every year he was the same, ohh and met daryl Beattie and mick doohan as there local boys.

Also have my sun visor in my 2010 Holden Commodore wagon signed by v8 Supercar drivers.

29y5rx3.jpg

From L-R = Craig Lowndes (888),Garth Tander,Jason Bargwanna (14),James Courtney (22),Greg Murphy (22),Niel Crompton (7),Jamie Whincup. Always keep a socket in my glove box, never know who I might bump into next.

I once trod on Jaques Laffite's foot.

Lol did he go "ah my Le feet" lmao sorry

I once trod on Jaques Laffite's foot.

Mate! Nice to see you posting, old boy. I don't want to boast about anything, really. I have led a privileged existence and I thank the stars for it. Working for Alpine/Renault F1, visiting most of the tracks in the World up until the 'stadium' era, racing a little and meeting so many interesting people is a thing of wonder. Playing rock 'n roll music for a living still at the age of 68 is a massive bonus. I had a No.1 hit in Germany in 1980 and a twenty-five minute natter with Ayrton at Aida in 1994 that had nothing to do with racing or bloody Renault - just life and love. It was the race before we lost him. I don't think there is doubt in anyone's mind as to which event gave me the greatest buzz. If I die tonight, I will have had the best life I could have possibly hoped for.

Mate! Nice to see you posting, old boy. I don't want to boast about anything, really. I have led a privileged existence and I thank the stars for it. Working for Alpine/Renault F1, visiting most of the tracks in the World up until the 'stadium' era, racing a little and meeting so many interesting people is a thing of wonder. Playing rock 'n roll music for a living still at the age of 68 is a massive bonus. I had a No.1 hit in Germany in 1980 and a twenty-five minute natter with Ayrton at Aida in 1994 that had nothing to do with racing or bloody Renault - just life and love. It was the race before we lost him. I don't think there is doubt in anyone's mind as to which event gave me the greatest buzz. If I die tonight, I will have had the best life I could have possibly hoped for.

Love reading your posts, you have such a positive out look on life, from what I've read.

2009 Italian GP is currently the only GP I attended. My best memory of it was when Hamilton crashed out on the last lap & the crowd went crazy with joy seeing a McLaren crash out. I was also surrounded by lots of Kubica fans who were cheering throughout the race despite the fact that Kubi retired after about 10 laps haha

April of '82. Saw quite a few greats racing around the streets of Long Beach. Heard the roar of proper F1 engines in anger. Almost ate a hot dog but dropped it. All things considered, a good Sunday.

Russ, I would have liked to have seen Jacques' face when you stepped on his Lafoot. A bit embarrassing considering he had to quit F1 after a crash broke an ankle or two....

Love reading your posts, you have such a positive out look on life, from what I've read.

Easy to have a positive outlook when life has given you quite a few roses.....but I suppose my jealousy is showing smile.png Good on ya', Sean. I, too, enjoy reading your posts...they prove to me that the universe sometimes rolls a midnight on your Hi-Lo.

Yeah my luck is rat sh*t to, but I try to remain positive, even of it kills me.