Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Mel Gibson Kangaroo Holden Gp Of Australia And Whereabouts

Great qualifying. Red Bull is a much better car than expected. Mercedes very strong and #1 candidate for the win.

Alonso 5th...again! If there were permanent grid positions just like car numbers, then 5th would be certainly his.

Jokes aside (yes, Brad, the comment about Kimi was a joke! :)) as much as I don't like Vettel as a person, as much as I am not convinced of his skills without an RBR on rails, I still didn't like the cheering when he didn't make it into Q3.

Alonso 5th...again! If there were permanent grid positions just like car numbers, then 5th would be certainly his.

Jokes aside (yes, Brad, the comment about Kimi was a joke! :)) as much as I don't like Vettel as a person, as much as I am not convinced of his skills without an RBR on rails, I still didn't like the cheering when he didn't make it into Q3.

I didn't, you gotta understand what multi 21 did to true Aussie f1 fans, we have a vandetta against this kid now for in our eyes mark is a god, and we have a heck of alot of respect for him as its almost impossible for an Aussie to get into formula one. Ricciardo did a brilliant job as I expected, I did say he was bloody quick and his ability to adapt so quickly really impressed me, even though i jump for joy when it looked like he had pole until lewis stole it, he did a brilliant job and I hope it has opened a few eyes.

Hamilton didn't look too happy. Why? He did a very good job in Q3. Both Rosberg and Ricciardo looked happier than him. Alonso made a few mistakes but a 5th place isn't a bad result, it could have been much worse. A bad day for Kimi and Vettel but who knows what tomorrows can bring.

A bit sad that we still don't know the performance of the cars for Q3 on a dry track. It seems tomorrow will see 58 laps on slicks. I won't be boring either way.

icon2_flag.gif

Lewis didn' sound too unhappy either, he just seemed like a guy trying not to get carried away. Vettel was slamming the wheel at the end of the main straight on his last lap. This season could be a real character builder for him...except that Ric's pace seems to say otherwise. In any case, it was really impressive from Ric as he had to cope with all the pressure of being the new guy at the top team and also the rain.

Alonso was fifth, but he was also more than a second behind the top three, which includes an RBR, weird tire strategy or not. I hope it was the usual one off that happens at Australia...Kevin Magnussen did great, but I think that he was closer to McL's true pace than JB.

The Williams need a bigger Martini livery for their cars, outside the pit, you can't see the Martini stripes and it looks like a dishwasher.

How many cars went off? I doubt more than 10 seconds passed between off road excursions from the drivers. There was more gravel on the track than marbles....And that's another thing! F1 has lost its marbles! Wait... :eusa_think: Almost no marbles on track, that's a good sign.

Vettel was slamming the wheel at the end of the main straight on his last lap. This season could be a real character builder for him...except that Ric's pace seems to say otherwise. In any case, it was really impressive from Ric as he had to cope with all the pressure of being the new guy at the top team and also the rain.

I think Vettel got caught offside for the first qualifying session. Good that he'll have to have a different race than usual, in the middle of the pack, fighting every corner, wheel to wheel... It seems their car works so anything can happen. The true pace difference between both drivers is something we don't know but as you said Ricciardo had an impressive session. I don't know what his talent can do in the race but he won't forget AUS 2014.

Alonso was fifth, but he was also more than a second behind the top three, which includes an RBR, weird tire strategy or not. I hope it was the usual one off that happens at Australia...Kevin Magnussen did great, but I think that he was closer to McL's true pace than JB.

I think Ferrari tried to produce a solid car for the race as usually problem is it's not as good for Q3 as usually. It's been the case for the last few seasons. It was probably a one off but I think they were having even more problems on a dry track so... I only see two teams with a winning car (RBR, Mercedes) the rest are in a different league.

F1 has lost its marbles! Wait... eusa_think.gif

Absolutely! :'(

Things to be excited about so far, IMO:

1) The sound: yeah, I know most people don't like it but give it a chance. I think that if things were the opposite, and we were moving from the new sound to the old V8/10/12 sound people would be even more furious: "That sound is so boring!! Always the same pitch!! And so whinny! And it's too loudn you can't hear anything else! This is a farce and F1 will lose all his fan base!".

At first I thought the new sound was no better, no worse than before, merely different. Now I think it is better. I like the rumbling sound, I like hearing the turbos, I LOVE being able to hear clearly the people (when they cheer against Vettel, tsk tsk), I LOVE being able to hear the tires screeching under braking...makes those terrifying moves so close to the wall even more thrilling.

2) The rookies: Kvyat and Magnussen did great. Ricciardo (not exactly a rookie) did great as well. I never rated Ricciardo too much, to be honest (and I was a long time Webber supporter), but he was great.

3) The unstable cars. Geez, most cars were a hnadful in the wet, but also in the dry! I hope that stays with us. Watching most drivers wrestling their cars (something I am used to see from watching most of Alonso's drives) is beautiful, makes drivers stand out more than in the past.

4) In this particular race, there are some interesting battles: Kimi and Seb (and Jenson?) charging from the back, Ricciardo hungry for glory alongside Lewis, nonetheless. Nico ready to bide his time and make his move. The ambitious rookie and the ruthless veteran: Kev vs Nando...

Yup, F1 has its highs and its lows, but every year I get goosebumps when the F1 weekend arrives...

Oh, and even if there are many, many changes in F1, two things never change:

1 ) Alonso in 5th place

2 ) Alonso's teammate a second behind and spinning in the wet tongue.png

*ducks and runs*

1) The sound: yeah, I know most people don't like it but give it a chance. I think that if things were the opposite, and we were moving from the new sound to the old V8/10/12 sound people would be even more furious: "That sound is so boring!! Always the same pitch!! And so whinny! And it's too loudn you can't hear anything else! This is a farce and F1 will lose all his fan base!".

At first I thought the new sound was no better, no worse than before, merely different. Now I think it is better. I like the rumbling sound, I like hearing the turbos, I LOVE being able to hear clearly the people (when they cheer against Vettel, tsk tsk), I LOVE being able to hear the tires screeching under braking...makes those terrifying moves so close to the wall even more thrilling.

I think the sound is not as good as it was but it's ok and I don't think it made any fan not to enjoy the qualifying session in Australia. Same will apply to the rest of the season and people will discover the positives of the new sound that you have already pointed out and maybe more.

2) The rookies: Kvyat and Magnussen did great. Ricciardo (not exactly a rookie) did great as well. I never rated Ricciardo too much, to be honest (and I was a long time Webber supporter), but he was great.

I miss Webber. :'(

I never rated Ricciardo as a skillful driver and suddenly... I wonder what it could have been if things had worked out for Vettel. It's worrying, they were nowhere 3 weeks ago.

Have no clue about Kvyat and Magnussen but today they looked good.

3) The unstable cars. Geez, most cars were a hnadful in the wet, but also in the dry! I hope that stays with us. Watching most drivers wrestling their cars (something I am used to see from watching most of Alonso's drives) is beautiful, makes drivers stand out more than in the past.

That's a very positive feature with the new rules. Things will get better but let's enjoy what we have now.

4) In this particular race, there are some interesting battles: Kimi and Seb (and Jenson?) charging from the back, Ricciardo hungry for glory alongside Lewis, nonetheless. Nico ready to bide his time and make his move. The ambitious rookie and the ruthless veteran: Kev vs Nando...

Some other interesting things: 100 kg. of fuel for the race. Unfortunately it might not be a problem in Australia if we have a few SC periods as expected.

Yup, F1 has its highs and its lows, but every year I get goosebumps when the F1 weekend arrives...

Every year the first race of the season is a bit special.

Well, that was fun. Lovely noise and lots of changes of underwear out there today. You can't beat a bit of twitchiness.

Well, that was fun. Lovely noise and lots of changes of underwear out there today. You can't beat a bit of twitchiness.

Ah, finally a discerning gentleman. Welcome aboard, I reckon you are new around this place?

Piece of advice: never trust the scouser.

Oh, and even if there are many, many changes in F1, two things never change:

1 ) Alonso in 5th place

2 ) Alonso's teammate a second behind and spinning in the wet tongue.png

*ducks and runs*

well, it's not like he set the world on fire either with his qualifying performance. Very soon, I shall laugh at you and Alehop's vaunted faces!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL WAS KIMI DOING PLAYING WITH SWITCHES AN ALL!!!!

Ah, finally a discerning gentleman. Welcome aboard, I reckon you are new around this place?

Piece of advice: never trust the scouser.

Why thank you, sir. My shaman tells me I have been here in a past life. Can't say I remember, but can only imagine that I was some sort of great leader.

Why thank you, sir. My shaman tells me I have been here in a past life. Can't say I remember, but can only imagine that I was some sort of great leader.

That's what Kimi said at Ferrari.

PC nitwits...sick of 'em. So what if the crowd cheered when Vettel missed Q1? It's called...wait for it...passion! You go to a footy match, and there is always boo's, and cheer's etc, yet no one gives a Sh#t because you're all there having fun.

Kev's doing OK. The kid has a good head on his shoulders and will hopefully have a good season. I still can't understand how Kyvatt is out there. A couple years ago, he was here in NZ getting down-troued by pretty much everyone in the TRS series, including by kids like Mitch Evans. I foresee a revolving door policy at STR over the next few seasons and would not be surprised if Vergne is gone at the end of the season and Kyvatt too, likely replaced by Sainz Jr and someone else with a bit of cash.

Looking forward to the race. Haven't watched winged motocross bikes racing before....

PC nitwits...sick of 'em. So what if the crowd cheered when Vettel missed Q1? It's called...wait for it...passion! You go to a footy match, and there is always boo's, and cheer's etc, yet no one gives a Sh#t because you're all there having fun.

Kev's doing OK. The kid has a good head on his shoulders and will hopefully have a good season. I still can't understand how Kyvatt is out there. A couple years ago, he was here in NZ getting down-troued by pretty much everyone in the TRS series, including by kids like Mitch Evans. I foresee a revolving door policy at STR over the next few seasons and would not be surprised if Vergne is gone at the end of the season and Kyvatt too, likely replaced by Sainz Jr and someone else with a bit of cash.

Looking forward to the race. Haven't watched winged motocross bikes racing before....

Pffft...Apple Mac halfwits...sick of them. Wait...that's not what you meant by PC, right?

Anyways, I didn't say "F1 IS A FARCE WITH ALL THIS BOOING AND NUVOLARI AND THE V12 AND VILLENEUVE VS ARNOUX AND I AM DONE WITH F1 NO, SERIOUSLY, I'M DONE!" I merely pointed out that I didn't like it.

And I enjoy F1 with a passion as well. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an Apple user neener neener.

I love the new style, love how they have to fight the car, just watching lewis's pole lap and how the car stepped out on in basically in a straight line, havnt seen that in years, have to really feather the throttle now instead of just smashing the gas pedal,it will sort the men from the boys, just still trying to cope with the sound, I've been playing f1 2013 just to remember what an f1 car should sound like, few months from now, we won't even notice/care if the season so far has been entertaining.

Pffft...Apple Mac halfwits...sick of them. Wait...that's not what you meant by PC, right?

Anyways, I didn't say "F1 IS A FARCE WITH ALL THIS BOOING AND NUVOLARI AND THE V12 AND VILLENEUVE VS ARNOUX AND I AM DONE WITH F1 NO, SERIOUSLY, I'M DONE!" I merely pointed out that I didn't like it.

And I enjoy F1 with a passion as well. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an Apple user neener neener.

Don't get me started on them Androids!

R2 fricking D2 is taking over!!

I love the new style, love how they have to fight the car, just watching lewis's pole lap and how the car stepped out on in basically in a straight line, havnt seen that in years, have to really feather the throttle now instead of just smashing the gas pedal,it will sort the men from the boys, just still trying to cope with the sound, I've been playing f1 2013 just to remember what an f1 car should sound like, few months from now, we won't even notice/care if the season so far has been entertaining.

Ahhh, that's the spirit!

well, it's not like he set the world on fire either with his qualifying performance. Very soon, I shall laugh at you and Alehop's vaunted faces!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Hahaha... It can be a great race for Vettel and Kimi if they can finish ahead of Alonso, but it could even an epic one if they crash into each other on the first lap. rolleyes.gif

It wasn't a past life, you can't remember because you went out of memory one night and... What's the name of that shaman, Paul? biggrin.png

Ahhh, that's the spirit!

I think it's awesome to see how each driver is having to adjust there approach, it's fascinating, even though iam a fan I can't express how well ricciardo did, Magnussen and kvyat also did very well, but i just love how the car won't take the abuse like last years cars, so drivers like Vettel who just stamp on the pedal are finding it very hard to be patient with the throttle.

Apart from the expected uncertainty, the racing is... POOR. Overtaking for extremely different performance is not what I call exciting.