Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Impressions Of 2014

Last night my mrs spent 5 straight hours watching a program on the laptop in our bedroom with headphones on. At the end of the night I said it was a bit lonely this evening & I wouldnt want this to become the 'norm', and I got shouted at. Go figure!

Last night my mrs spent 5 straight hours watching a program on the laptop in our bedroom with headphones on. At the end of the night I said it was a bit lonely this evening & I wouldnt want this to become the 'norm', and I got shouted at. Go figure!

Silly question to ask her mate, you should have known it would have been your fault,everything's your fault. Lol

Every time it happens (ie me raising my own feelings) I think afterwards 'next time I must remember to just say nothing' but I never learn lol. I am needy though and I guess I just need to learn not to be.

5hrs, one program?? Sports Relief is not until tonight, you know ?? :lol:

I can only imagine what you would have been accused of looking at if it had been you on the laptop for 5hrs!!

Oh and that's why remote shutdown commands were invented for computers :whistling:

I wasn't unhappy with Melbourne but the engines do sound wimpy. That can't be fixed, not really. You can do stuff with the exhaust - perhaps. The old 1977 Renault-Gordini V6 1.5 L turbocharged engine, the first regularly used turbo engine in F1, was massively unreliable but I do remember it being reasonably loud. Mind you, the alternator was louderloljump.gif

I wasn't unhappy with Melbourne but the engines do sound wimpy. That can't be fixed, not really. You can do stuff with the exhaust - perhaps. The old 1977 Renault-Gordini V6 1.5 L turbocharged engine, the first regularly used turbo engine in F1, was massively unreliable but I do remember it being reasonably loud. Mind you, the alternator was louderloljump.gif

That's what I was thinking, maybe some type if exhaust modification.

A resonator chamber? Personally, I don't mind the noise, or lack of it. But then again my ears are broken anyway.

A resonator chamber? Personally, I don't mind the noise, or lack of it. But then again my ears are broken anyway.

Mine are shot to bits but this debate simply highlights the larger question: was the move to a quieter, slower, greener, massively complex formula wrong? If you talk to Mateschitz, Flabbio, Bernie, LdM about it then it was. My opinion? It's inherently wrong. It is not F1. Bring all the innovation you want to the party but leave the cars fast as hell, noisy beyond belief and let the drivers dance with the Devil.

The new formula and engine noise debate in particular will rage on until they get back to Europe the spiritual homeland of F1. Only then will we see what the Europeans think & going by a poll I read today 78% of Italians don't like the new formula & 85% of Spaniards don't either so I don't hold high hopes of acceptance once they hear it in person.

I also think we'll get a true reality check on reliability this weekend in Malaysia too as the ambient temp in Melbourne was only 21 degrees for the race. In pre-season testing in the heat of Bahrain is where the Red Bull's could hard string together a decent amount of laps let alone a race distance simulation. So if the cars survive the hot temps of the next two races it should be safe to say they will have reliability licked

Hey peeps, how about this for an add on thought for debate....

What if F1 is trying to attract the wrong manufacturers? Companies like Honda, Renault, Mercedes etc are mass car producing manufacturers and what they stand for maybe better suited and promoted within the new Formula E environment. Then all the green loving environmentally firiendly people that prefer squealing tyres & electricity over brutal sounding screaming engine noises would be right at home.

I read Ross Brawn said that the old formula of V8 engines was not going to attract manufacturers like Honda back to F1. Perhaps Ross wasn't asking the "right" manufacturers a leading question.....What I mean by the right manufacturers is exotic sports car companies like Lamboghini, Maserati, Ferrari, Aston Martin & the like who's image is much more in keeping with F1 - Glamour, fame, horsepower & awesome sounding engines and everything else in excess that both F1 & these car manufacturers so obviously have in common. I wonder if Ross has asked these exotic sports car companies that if F1 was to go back to a V10 or V12 normally aspirated engine would they be interested in being engine suppliers? I'm pretty confident Ferrari would've been on board & to the best of my knowledge the other sports car companies still produce V10 & V12 brutal awesome sounding horsepower units! Wouldn't this be much more aligned to what both F1 is about and these sports car manufacturers that turn your head when you see one of their products pass you by in your local neighborhood street?

The new formula and engine noise debate in particular will rage on until they get back to Europe the spiritual homeland of F1. Only then will we see what the Europeans think & going by a poll I read today 78% of Italians don't like the new formula & 85% of Spaniards don't either so I don't hold high hopes of acceptance once they hear it in person.

I also think we'll get a true reality check on reliability this weekend in Malaysia too as the ambient temp in Melbourne was only 21 degrees for the race. In pre-season testing in the heat of Bahrain is where the Red Bull's could hard string together a decent amount of laps let alone a race distance simulation. So if the cars survive the hot temps of the next two races it should be safe to say they will have reliability licked

Yea I think RBR had cooling issues in testing, so if they're going to fail due to cooling then Malaysia & Bahrain will be the places where they'll fail.

What's the source for this info on polls? I imagine Italians will be happy as long as a Ferrari wins, and unhappy if Ferrari don't win - same as always.

Regardless of what everyone says about engine noise, for me the noise did contribute to my enjoyment of the experience.

Mine are shot to bits but this debate simply highlights the larger question: was the move to a quieter, slower, greener, massively complex formula wrong? If you talk to Mateschitz, Flabbio, Bernie, LdM about it then it was. My opinion? It's inherently wrong. It is not F1. Bring all the innovation you want to the party but leave the cars fast as hell, noisy beyond belief and let the drivers dance with the Devil.

Seems they were dancing with the Devil anyhow. More power than grip left most of the drivers really digging down deep for some talent to help them manage the cars. I think this is a good thing. But then, I'm not into the whole 'innovation' thing so the current cars just don't bother me much. I'm here for the drivers. Put them all in shifter karts and I'd tune in just the same. I can appreciate the speed but only so far as it makes the cars require talent to drive in anger. After all, Clark, Rindt, Amon and many others delivered up some of the Golden Era's best drives and many become Legends....all in cars with much less power and noise than the 2014 F1 cars. It really isn't about the cars, and it never will be. Cars change but courage and skill are constant.