Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

The Bahraini Thread Of Bahraini Posts On The Bahraini Race And Such

So, first two practices are over. The cars look gorgeous at night. In a surprising plot twist, the Mercs are on a league of their own, a second ahead. It's deja vu all over again.

Pros: LH and NR seem closer in performance than the MW/SV couple, so at least we will have two cars racing at the front during the championship if reliability permits.

Cons: Nikki Lauda and Toto Wolff are even less likeable than the obersturmbannführer Marko and Christian Spice duo. What's even worse, having Lauda and his nonsense does not mean that Marko stopped spewing his own. His latest comments on Webber want me punch him in the face. And then punch him in the face some more.

Pros: Neither Lewis nor Nico will sound as annoying as the yahoos and "that's how it's done" from Seb.

Cons: The press hype will mean that it won't be long before we will be forced to watch 2 hours specials about Roscoe and his love life.

Pros: God save the Queen is a lot better than the Austrian anthem.

Cons: we will keep hearing Deutschland über alles till the day we die.

And now for something completely different: Kvyat is officially my new favorite rookie (sorry, K-Mag, I was never a fan of your father and your head has a funny shape), Hulkenberg and Nando are battling even during practices, I like that.

End of FP3. The 6 fastest times came from Mercedes engines. Williams look good, FI looks good, Kvyat look great! :)

There was some weird glitch with transmission and all the screens and telemetry went black. Sabotage? Bernie? Luca? Morlocks?

Vettel out with a puncture that got him spinning into the gravel.

One of my favorite circuits (not talking about location; location is irrelevant to me because I can't attend them in person :P), even if I don't have anyone to back me up there. This track puts on a good show. I do miss the 8:00 AM start time for me, but so be it.

I'm happy to see Checo looking more comfortable in the Force India. His Malaysian retirement was not his fault, and he did collide with Gutiérrez very early in Melbourne, but even so, he has looked sloppy in practices and qualifying this season, with Hülkenberg far ahead. That's not exactly a surprise, though a bit disappointing to date in that I really did want those two to have a close teammate battle with two totally contrasting driving styles getting the same car to the same place in the end. The hope for that is not lost, in my opinion, and this weekend could be a good one for it.

Funny how Mercedes-powered cars dominated the Bahrain test, but did not hold as large of an advantage in the last two Grands Prix. I wonder if the extra mileage of testing is helping here, or if the Mercedes engine is just so suited to this one track.

Oh, I like the circuit as well, the problem is that the racing usually is not on par with the circuit's capabilities of delivering good racing, but t hat's not dow to the track itself. It is one of the best Tilkedromes out there (even more so with Turkey out of the calendar), and at night it looks better than Singapore.

Checo indeed seemed quite competitive which is great. I hope he and Hulk can have some great battles. This year will be the year of intra team battles it seems! Except at Sauber. Gutiérrez is crap.

I jinxed the Hulk :(

Anyways, I am not saying anything new when I say that the advantage the Mercs have is ridiculous. The onboard cameras show everybody struggling with their cars, except for the Mercs, these guys aren't even trying! This isn't even RBR's level, this is First half of 2009 BGP level. But the big difference is that Rosberg/Lewis is much closer than Seb/mark or Jenson/Rubens. The Williams are slowly climbing up the field as well. I am hoping for a 4 driver's fight between noth Williams and both FIs. Ift he Ferraris can also be there, all the better ;)

Talking about the Ferraris, Alonso, my man... :( And Kimi seemed a little more competitive this time!

It only took having a night time GP to finally make Bahrain look easy on the eyes. It looks way better under lights.

I don't mind Marko's comments about Webber actually. Webber's had more than his fair share of outbursts and negativity. Marko is right, Webber couldn't start a GP to save his life. Ricci so far is far better in that department.

One thing that occurred to me, why does Lauda not wear any sort of team uniform, even a shirt with Merc's logo or something? I know the deal with his hat, but he looks like he's dressed to goto the horses or dog races or something.

Re Maldonado, you can start shooting me any time but let me say this first: he was exiting the pits, on cold tires and hugging the inner kerb, he was guilty of not judging in a fraction of a second that it would be best to let Gutiérrez through and risking Esteban doing exactly what he did, i.e.: closing the door aggressively.

The result was spectacular (perhaps due to the new noses?) but far from the most ill--judged move of the decade.

What I don't understand is why it took so long to release the SC? And why there was nobody around to help Esteban? Those seconds with Esteban sitting inside his car immobile were awful.

would,nt shoot anyone for a opinion but its not really a one off, he has history on doing stupid things in F1 and lower formula, he never learns, frankly if it wasn't for the money no one would take him, from what I read in the past it was only money that kept him racing period after nearly killing a marshall

Anyone care to organise a sweep stake on how long it is before Vettel chucks the toys out with Daniel driving like he is harhar.gif

It was at the same time exhilarating and painful to watch Seb like that! :D

All over the world Vettel fans will be crying in their cola and complaining how unfair it is that he does not have a competitive car, should,nt gloat really but after many years of hearing how it was,nt Redbulls fault they had the best car is nice to hear the cries of anguish

Oh, and one more thing: what the heck is that Lewis dude doing at the top of the podium??? There was one and only one absolute, dominating, a$$-kicking winner in this race: Martin Whitmarsh. His protegé on the podium and McLaren being the worst of all the Merc powered teams? Somebody buy this guy a drink!

It was exciting, it was also almost autistic as every car was racing against his teammate more than against other cars (except for the Williams vs FI battle).

Thanks to that, it also showed some interesting things about some drivers, for example: Bottas might be ballsy, might be quick, but does not know how to overtake. Ditto for Rosberg, BTW, he was beaten by Lewis when the race was Nico's to lose merely due to Lewis' superior racecraft, and Nico is no rookie. Bottas seems to confuse "getting the car ahead of my competitor" with "making the overtaking manoeuvre actually stick" and got trumped again, and again. Ricciardo was another guy that seemed quite feisty, but not too effective when it mattered. Kimi gave him a hard time in that abysmal Ferrari which by then was overtaken even by some GP2 backmarkers again, thanks to Kimi's superior racecraft. And then Seb made him sweat in an RBR that took an arrow to the knee. He was still impressive, nonetheless.

Massa was flattered by Bottas' lack of experience, btw. When pressured by Bottas the guy was awful, car all over the place, more likely to cause a collision than keeping the place. Good for him and his ego boost, but as a driver he is hopeless.

Perez over Hulkenberg? That's a surprise. That one is perhaps the most interesting battle of them all atm. Hulkenberg was again impressive, so kudos to Sergio for being even more impressive.

Ferrari...what can I say? To motivate his drivers, he has made them watch the entire race again but playing it backwards: "Wow guys, look how many cars you overtook! Good work!" To have the best driver and the best drinker in F1 racing in a red coloured HRT is such a waste...

McLaren...who? Button was doing great. No, seriously.

Everybody else: nothing. Well, Lotus brought a car home, and tested the nose design as a weapon with amazing effects. Chilton has no DNF yet and the Toro Russia was far behind. Never saw Kamui but I think he finished the race at one moment or another. And Bianchi has become newest potential victim of Sutil's next glassing.

Ferrari...what can I say? To motivate his drivers, he has made them watch the entire race again but playing it backwards: "Wow guys, look how many cars you overtook! Good work!" To have the best driver and the best drinker in F1 racing in a red coloured HRT is such a waste...

The Ferrari engine seems to be seriously under-powered, I wonder if there is anything they can do to fix that. Given that the top-10 went almost team-by-team seems to indicate that everyone got the most out of the car and these results give a faithful representation of the order of the teams.

It looked like Ferrari may have tried to split the strategies between Fernando and Kimi, Kimi's middle stint was quite a bit longer than Fernando's, making him lose 10+ seconds there... I wonder if they were thinking of trying to pull a 2-stop with Kimi had the safety car not come and give them a free pit stop. Or maybe they are just trying to figure out what is the optimal time for the mid-race pit stops and little variation helps them do that (lose time mid-race vs. have worn tires at the end).

Wow what a race! Great to see the 2 Mercs fighting wheel to wheel at the end although I doubt Paddy Lowe was enjoying it too much. Good race out of Force India too. Massive result for them. Poor McLaren had a nightmare of a race. Both cars grinding to a halt in quick succession. Button being swallowed up at the restart was heartbreaking to watch. Ferrari too had a fairly mediocre race by their standards. Just weren't in the running at all! Overall definitely one of the better Bahrain GP's up there with the 2012 edition.

The Mercs did great. Were they running some 3 seconds faster than the rest?

Vettel has a lot explaining to do.

Good for Force India and Williams. It's gotta be the engine but still.

Earth to Ferrari: you are pathetic.