Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Button Getting His B@tt Kicked....

Vandoorne to replace Button in 2015 could happen says Dennis

14 April, 2014

d12aus5256-640x424.jpg

Ron Dennis with Jenson Button

McLaren could oust veteran Jenson Button at the end of 2014 season and replace him with the team’s next young Development Driver talent.

That is the admission of returned McLaren supremo Ron Dennis, who told Formula 1′s official website that it was mainly his decision to axe Sergio Perez after a single season and replace him with in-house rookie Kevin Magnussen.

Dane Magnussen, 21, has subsequently been hailed by Dennis as having “all the ingredients necessary” to follow in Button’s footsteps and win a title.

“The decision to take Kevin [in 2014] was mine,” said Dennis.

“I took the decision because I felt that we needed to see if he could meet the expectations of our engineers, and so far he has done a great job.

“And also Stoffel Vandoorne did a great job last weekend in Bahrain,” Dennis added, “so I think he will be highly desirable by the end of the season.”

Belgian Vandoorne, who is actually a year older than Magnussen, has this year been placed by McLaren in GP2, where at the Bahrain season opener he won a race.

Vandoorne is driving for ART, after Nicolas Todt’s GP2 team entered an agreement to work not only with McLaren but also the team’s 2015 engine supplier Honda.

At the same time, Button’s contract is up for renewal.

The 34-year-old driver said in Bahrain: “I have no worries that a guy in his thirties is as good as a guy in his twenties in a Formula 1 car.”

Nonetheless, Dennis admitted that it is “possible” that McLaren’s 2015 lineup could see Magnussen alongside Vandoorne.

“Anything is possible,” he said, “but Jenson is doing a great job. He is quick and he is dedicated so there is no reason not to stay with Jenson from any perspective.

“But we still have a whole season to go.” (GMM)

Subbed by AJN.

Read more http://grandprix247.com/2014/04/14/vandoorne-to-replace-button-is-possible-says-dennis/

Headline a tad misleading as per usual with gptoday stories. The headline is based only on Ron saying 'anything is possible'.

Would mclaren really go with a magnussen/vandoorne line-up? I doubt it. I think mclaren will have the same line-up next year unless Alonso is lured over.

I can't see a mag/van lineup. Not unless Mag had been in F1 for at least 3-4 years. What this possibly says is that Button won't be at McLaren long term. And if Alonso is available and let's face it, he is since his agent really was shopping around especially at RBR, then McLaren is always going to be in the running. Ron and Alonso will be fine the second time around anyway, so that won't be an issue. It all depends on how Ferrari go this year, which is way below my expectations, and how McLaren do this year.

Headline a tad misleading as per usual with gptoday stories. The headline is based only on Ron saying 'anything is possible'.

Would mclaren really go with a magnussen/vandoorne line-up? I doubt it. I think mclaren will have the same line-up next year unless Alonso is lured over.

I agree, in Melbourne button showed he still has some serious pace about him.

I would say Button will be on a Webber-contract from now on....one more year....then another, for, one more year....and repeat...

I would say Button will be on a Webber-contract from now on....one more year....then another, for, one more year....and repeat...

I agree. Even if he has a blinder of a season and wins a few races, he's getting on a bit now and mclaren probably wouldn't give him another 3-year contract. I think a good season may get him a 1-year extension.

And if Alonso is available and let's face it, he is since his agent really was shopping around especially at RBR, then McLaren is always going to be in the running. Ron and Alonso will be fine the second time around anyway, so that won't be an issue. It all depends on how Ferrari go this year, which is way below my expectations, and how McLaren do this year.

I wonder.

RD is irrelevant. But if Alonso were to go to Macca, he would have a lot to explain. A lot. Even more than Vettel over Ricciardo's performance which is the current elephant in the room.

I can't see a mag/van lineup. Not unless Mag had been in F1 for at least 3-4 years. What this possibly says is that Button won't be at McLaren long term. And if Alonso is available and let's face it, he is since his agent really was shopping around especially at RBR, then McLaren is always going to be in the running. Ron and Alonso will be fine the second time around anyway, so that won't be an issue. It all depends on how Ferrari go this year, which is way below my expectations, and how McLaren do this year.

Well, this may be controversial but is Nando on the wane? Two years ago he had a pig of a car and he was slinging it around all over the place. Everyone has a shelf life after all. In fact, Ferrari may have a driver team that is not as competitive as their rivals. Nico and lewis are matched on pace, are young and have a huge amount of talent and nous. Vettel and Ricciardo are pretty formidable too. I really don't see McLaren as having a problem at all. on his day, Button is a match for anyone and he is just getting better. I think he'll race well until his forties. Jay Hass would love him but he still has that double he wants and he will fight to the end to achieve it. Two rookies won't bring in the silverware at Woking and if Nando moves over, Ferrari need to get the Hulk or young Kyvat in the car. Rosberg must be on their list too and he speaks fluent Italian. Kimi seems to have lost the plot and needs to find some hunger or sling it. I hope K-Mag comes through but Ron needs JB to deliver consistently and even his knockers know that if you give him the right car, he'll do it for you.

Well the only thing bad about jenson I have to say after seeing the first few races, is his age, that's it. He still is bloody quick, we saw how fast Magnussen really is and he is struggling to keep up with jenson. Sadly like everyone, his career is now age limited, he certainly can still perform but Mclaren will inevitably have to start looking at the future.

Indeed. Hence the Magnussen & Vandoorne backing. They may be hoping Magnussen is a future team leader, similar to when Lewis came on the scene back in '07; the next year he led the team and won the WDC.

JB usually goes well at China, I'm expecting big things (well, 3rd). He's 34 but he does appear to be as fit as a 24-yr old. Assuming he beats Kevin on points this year, it'd be hard to justify booting him out.

Ohh absolutly, he is there best bet as iam yet to see any solid evidence of alonso moving back. I expect him to stay put next year, unless mag whips him from now on, but whats the odds of that?

Jenson's new management venture actually manages Vandoorne. Am I right?I think a likely scenario is for JB to stay at McLaren to see in the Honda deal in 2015, Haas will delay a year waiting for the exclusive deal with Macca to expire and then take a Honda lump and hire Jenson to lead the team. he could take Vandoorne with him. Either that or he'll move to Ferrari in 2016 as a points banker.

Nah I think button will stay at Mclaren, latest rumor is haas wants danica Patrick to make her f1 debut with his team.

Hass wants Danica in a car and so would I. Great marketing tool, weighs 50 kilos, an American and not too shabby a driver. Susie Woolf is another option. The other name I have on my lips is Paul Di Resta - the unsung hero of the W05 development. I also think that Sutil or Guitterez may be on his shopping list too if he buys a Ferrari drive-train which looks likely. Both of them are going absolutely nowhere at Sauber. EG is a bit of a tool but he is Mexican and brings a lot of pesos with him. Sutil is a good developer but seems to have gone backwards lately. Here's what I think his options are:

Ferrari DT: Sutil, Guitterez, Bianchi

McLaren-Honda DT: Button, Vandoorne, Turvey

Mercedes DT: Di Resta, Button, Vandoorne, Turvey, Woolf

Renault DT: Romain Grosjean, Mad Donald, Charles Pic

If I was Hass I would want the most powerful engine on the block and the most experienced driver in F1 - Button/Honda, Interesting - you think?

Bah, never really liked Dennis, I agree, button does need to try harder, and he can only do that if the car is better than the crap it is now,did Dennis sleep in and miss Jenson's drive in Canada? Bloody joke, he's the one carrying the team. Same as what marco said to Vettel pretty much.

I have massive respect for Big Ron but ouch it does seem he's suggesting that Jenson isn't pulling his weight. JB could either use that as motivation to rise to the heights he did in 2011 or think 'well screw you then, I'm not enjoying this any more and not wanted anyway so I'm off'.

Personally I think it's an unfair view. Austria was the only race all year, in my opinion, where Kevin was the dominant mclaren driver all weekend. Kevin raced at A1 ring last year, JB hadn't been there for 11 years, not an excuse but perhaps a factor. JB has buckets of silverstone experience so should have the upper hand next weekend, but he's never really gone well there for some reason. No excuses if Kevin upstages him there.

I have massive respect for Big Ron but ouch it does seem he's suggesting that Jenson isn't pulling his weight. JB could either use that as motivation to rise to the heights he did in 2011 or think 'well screw you then, I'm not enjoying this any more and not wanted anyway so I'm off'.

Personally I think it's an unfair view. Austria was the only race all year, in my opinion, where Kevin was the dominant mclaren driver all weekend. Kevin raced at A1 ring last year, JB hadn't been there for 11 years, not an excuse but perhaps a factor. JB has buckets of silverstone experience so should have the upper hand next weekend, but he's never really gone well there for some reason. No excuses if Kevin upstages him there.

Still unfair, maybe rons copying markos approach towards Vettel. Difference is button is carrying the team, Vettel is not, therefor Mclaren would be much further behind without Jensons results this year. Un called for IMO.

Button was always another Webber, doesnt have the x-factor. Had his only world championship given to him by a car that was so superior he couldn't lose.

yep yep coolio.gif