Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Haas Formula

I have to agree with Eric. Haas will do this all the way or not at all. You don't throw $20m at a wind tunnel and p**s around. He knows what he is doing, he'll have a deal with Honda, get an experienced driver in plus a promising rookie. Button and Vandoorne are my picks.

Would that mean Alonso at McLaren?

I'll add a little something to this:

That's a TV ad we see every five minutes in America. That's Gene Haas' number one driver, Tony Stewart with, oh, who is that? Big-time Mobil 1 connection there. That's one link to McLaren already, no?

And I'll add another thing: Haas CNC's big rivals?

DMG Mori Seiki. Komatsu. JTEKT. Okuma. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Etc. All Japanese companies. Japan is very big for Haas, I have to assume.

Well, golly, Jenson Button has a following in Japan, doesn't he? And a Honda-powered team...oh, it's just too good for Gene, isn't it?

Hmm. I like it.

Would that mean Alonso at McLaren?

I'll add a little something to this:

That's a TV ad we see every five minutes in America. That's Gene Haas' number one driver, Tony Stewart with, oh, who is that? Big-time Mobil 1 connection there. That's one link to McLaren already, no?

And I'll add another thing: Haas CNC's big rivals?

DMG Mori Seiki. Komatsu. JTEKT. Okuma. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Etc. All Japanese companies. Japan is very big for Haas, I have to assume.

Well, golly, Jenson Button has a following in Japan, doesn't he? And a Honda-powered team...oh, it's just too good for Gene, isn't it?

Hmm. I like it.

Alonso may go to Woking. Ron is a little impulsive in that sense. I think JB is a great fit for Haas and Jens isn't greedy. He would also ensure continuity if Haas go for a Honda drivetrain and McLaren controls plus with a Japanese fiancé he is a fabulous marketing tool. He is probably the most tech-minded driver in the pit lane too.

Your probably right insider. It sounds like it would all fit into place quite nicely.

Your probably right insider. It sounds like it would all fit into place quite nicely.

Except the fact that Jenson will be trundling around at the back of the field - not something I want to witness again (having endured 07-08)!

Haas will be meeting with Ferrari and Mercedes only, so I think that rules out Honda. Plus, Honda's comments on Sky F1 match that.

The GM of Haas Formula is Joe Custer, who is hugely involved on the NASCAR side. His son, Cole, is actually a NASCAR driver...at age 16! It sounds like a lot to manage, so they'll need to get a good team principal and some other higher-level people to really take care of the program.

One name thrown around was that of Stefano Domenicali. I do wonder if we'll ever hear from Martin Whitmarsh again; I personally hope we do. I'd look at him, too, if I were Haas, only because Domenicali brings with him the Ferrari way, and the Ferrari way is far too scary for my tastes! I would much rather get Whitmarsh to teach me the tricks of McLaren, because that organization is run in a way that I think Haas would prefer things to operate. :lol:

All that from Lee Spencer: Motorsport.com

Another guy who is in the Charlotte area is Mike Coughlan. He works for Richard Childress Racing in NASCAR now. I wonder if Haas will make a run for him. Anyone with F1 experience in the Charlotte area, or even just in the U. S. (a few in IndyCar, too)...you have to try to recruit those people, because it's going to be a lot harder to sway those based in Europe to move here. They have too much to lose risking a move.

One more thing, for those who think a NASCAR background is a little odd, this from Roger Penske:

In IndyCar racing, we're all running the same car. In NASCAR we have multiple manufacturers, multiple engines, and probably a little more ingenuity as allowed from the standpoint of engineering. I would say IndyCar is a spec series, while NASCAR is a no-holds-barred, go-after-'em-boys kind of thing.

Car and Driver

:)

Thing I can't stand about NASCAR is those NASCAR commentators, shouldn't they be out rounding up some cattle?

Lol I listened recently for the first time in ages too & they do have that unique southern ricky-bobby daisy-duke howdy y'all sound!

I also saw a feature actually televised in America on nascar's 'top 10 fights' which made me lose a little more respect for the hillbillies participating

Lol, even piquet jr getting in on the action, groin shots.

Professionals who then 'fight' are not professionals for me. And yes that's bearing in mind the adrenaline and high emotions, but it's the same for f1 and you'd never see f1's top 10 fights of 2013. Even boxers are ridiculed and disciplined if they lose their cool at a weigh-in or stare-down.

People in southern USA are like the people we call gypsies/pikeys over here in britain. They swing/fight first, think later. Kinda like school-children. Having said that I'd be entertained to see Danica Patrick being in one of the top 10 fights of 2014.

Professionals who then 'fight' are not professionals for me. And yes that's bearing in mind the adrenaline and high emotions, but it's the same for f1 and you'd never see f1's top 10 fights of 2013. Even boxers are ridiculed and disciplined if they lose their cool at a weigh-in or stare-down.

People in southern USA are like the people we call gypsies/pikeys over here in britain. They swing/fight first, think later. Kinda like school-children. Having said that I'd be entertained to see Danica Patrick being in one of the top 10 fights of 2014.

She almost did, I think she had a pretty heated argument with Milka Dunno.

Latest news is that Gunther Steiner (part of the Haas team) has said that although he has no idea what Stefano Dominicali has going on these days, he will 'certainly be talking to him'. Might as well aim high. Stefano could be tempted in an environment where he will perhaps have free reign and not have The Godfather looking over his shoulder all the time.

People in southern USA? Brazilian Nelson Piquet, Jr. had a fight, mentioned here. Australian Marcos Ambrose just punched Casey Mears. Both came up in formula cars; in fact, Mears, from California, did, too. Who are the "hillbillies" now? :lol::P

In fact, other NASCAR fights have involved: Tony Stewart from Indiana, Joey Logano from Connecticut, Kevin Harvick from California, Greg Biffle from Washington, Boris Said from California, Juan Pablo Montoya from Colombia, Brian Scott from Idaho, Carl Edwards from Missouri, Jeff Gordon from Indiana/California, Clint Bowyer from Kansas...none of these are in the southern USA!

In fact, the only drivers from the southeastern USA are: Dale Jr. (never fought), Brian Vickers (never fought), Austin Dillon (never fought), Denny Hamlin (has fought), Ricky Stenhouse (never fought), David Ragan (never fought), and Reed Sorenson (never fought).

You know why there aren't fights in F1? Because you don't have 43 drivers on a track under a mile in length. If F1 put 43 cars on a 0.75-mile track, I guarantee you these drivers would "fight" (to the extent that fighting is in NASCAR, which is mostly shoving and flailing). They just don't have enough instances of the kind of racing that sets tempers off. And there are probably things we don't see in all forms of racing.

Not that I'm a fan of the fighting; I'm not. And I do agree FOM would not be making F1 ads with fighting; remember the time Sutil and Trulli had a heated argument? They didn't use that footage for marketing. NASCAR would've.

The problem with Top Gear is not that it is scripted; the problem is that people don't know it is scripted and think the episodes when they come to the U. S. are featuring real people really throwing rocks at them. They really shaped a lot of people's views on this country. :lol:

Anyway...

The Domenicali rumors are definitely out there...but Haas seems to be running Ferrari engines. Does that complicate it?

The problem with Top Gear is not that it is scripted; the problem is that people don't know it is scripted and think the episodes when they come to the U. S. are featuring real people really throwing rocks at them. They really shaped a lot of people's views on this country. laugh.png

Haha the sad thing is you're actually right, people do believe Top Gear's sham situations, I must admit when I watched the USA-special with the 'nascar sucks' cars and getting chased etc, I believed it all. It was only a few years later after seeing some clearly obviously staged situations, that I then doubted everything I'd ever seen on Top Gear previously.

And after seeing your list of nascar pugilists I will respectfully withdraw my previous comments, I stand corrected. Blame the BBC though lol.

Just youtube nelson piquet and Elio Salazar, they got it on, lucky none of th fight for a living.

Just youtube nelson piquet and Elio Salazar, they got it on, lucky none of th fight for a living.

Yea I've seen that one before, pretty embarrassing really isn't it (for them)!

Mate a joke. Should have just hugged it out, bloody pussies.

Lol I remember that, that little weasel got what he deserved, there's heaps of "bully gets owned" clips on youtube. Good on him I say.

Would love to see a charity boxing match between Seb and Mark. I think I know who'd get owned then!

Lol I rekon, seb would be one of those loud mouths at the pub who randomly comes over to you drunk as a skunk and tries to start you, you defend yourself and he presses charges. Little pretty boy

Like justin bieber. Actually that's going a bit far, seb needs a dressing-down perhaps (sometimes) but justin bieber just needs a good old-fashioned beating.

Mate that's what seb needs to, he needs to feel the wrath of my Lebanese spinning heel kick.

That's a move that I'd like to see a demonstration of please. Probably doesn't compare to my gravity-defying spinning bird kick.

That's a move that I'd like to see a demonstration of please. Probably doesn't compare to my gravity-defying spinning bird kick.

Hahahhahah I doubt it would either mate lol.

Haas has confirmed he won't be entering until 2016, and will have an England base for working on the cars between races, but will still have HQ and aero dept based in USA.

As the world revolves around Jenson, that obviously rules out that 2015 option.