Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Lauda And Berger Corner-Names Ditched By Red Bull

It's sad and rather disrespectful IMO that to gain some extra sponsorship money, these 2 corners of the A1 ring (now Red Bull ring) have been renamed.

The 'Niki Lauda curve' is now called 'Pirelli'. The Jochen Rindt corner has not (yet) been renamed.

"I'm very disappointed," Lauda said

"I can only presume it is because I am now at Mercedes and we are beating Red Bull,"

Is he right? Myself, I think this is all money (which rules everything of course) rather than a deliberate slap in the face to Lauda.

It's bloody rediculous, I mean do they really have to sell out corners? Whats next? Durex condom corner? These drivers deserve something in there honor.

Exactly. Just imagine if the 'Senna S' at interlagos was renamed. It wouldn't happen. Not surprised Niki is angry

That's even more of a kick in the guts to them, we all know it would take serious guts to rename senna "s" and we all know it wouldn't happen as it would cause an uproar, that's even more offensive to these drivers who have lost there name

I think that whatever the real reasons, renaming a Niki Lauda corner, named in his honour as Austria's greatest driver, to 'Pirelli' is a huge insult.

They can't say it's for advertising,as they could keep it the same name and just advertise Pirelli there like in the past. You don't see pics of lauda up on the billboards.

Tough sh!...

That's life. Nothing remains the same forever.

It's common business sense. F1 is in dire straights and it needs business to continue the sports. Otherwise there will be corners named after heroes without F1 cars racing around them...

I couldn't give a toss about Lauda and Berger losing corners named after them when you look at the circumstances of the A1 Ring. If RBR had to sell some corners to help pay to get the track into tiptop shape to host a race, then good on them. What did Lauda and Berger do to help RBR in all of this? This is a financial decision plain and simple, but I would expect nothing less from Lauda to stir the sh*t over whatever issue he has an "issue" with from week to week. The guy just doesn't know how to live on the down low. He's always involved in some issue, or creates one by what he says.

End of the day, this is one big NON issue for me.

See this is the problem, f1 has "sold its soul" all for the sake of money. And honestly, it's doing nothing. Here in Australia, you try find a fellow f1 fan besides on a forum, you can't, it's near impossible. So all this,money spent from Bernie all the way down to this Austrian gp issue, to "attract" new fans and make it a global phenomenon has failed IMO. Honest f1 fans can't sit here and say that they prefer these newer cars over the last best f1 cars in which I Beleive was 1997. After that, all these constant rule changes every single year and now with the rediculous double points crap, all to boost tv ratings is a joke. It's all in vain IMO as its done jack crap to its popularity where iam from. All for them to get fatter pockets. They could have down it another way, why not ask the public to vote?

Let RB suit themselves, at the end of the day it says more about their attitude to F1 than anything else, lets face it when Matschiwitz or whatever his name is thinks it won't sell any more of his teeth rotting obese making drinks he will walk away from F1 with no thought to the fans who have loyally supported his team and golden boy. Its a open secret from what I gather that RB will walk away if they have a prolonged period of failure,