Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Crocodiles

Apparently, there are now more crocs in the Northern Territory than people, more than 200,000. A good effort, when they were almost hunted to extinction, before being protected in 1974.

I love crocs, scary, monstrous critters but totally awesome.

The attached photo shows a small one which we accidentally hooked when lure fishing for Barramundi in Arnhem Land. It was about 2.5m long and we got the lure back, after a small disagreement involving a paddle, a slap on the head and a pair of pliers.

Barra fishing is done from a small Aluminium boat (tinny) with about 300mm freeboard. I have seen numerous crocs which were longer than the boat. One in particular tried to get in the boat to eat a Barra which we were unhooking. He got one leg over the gunnel, but succumbed to some persuasion. Not a big lad, about 3m, but very cheeky. He stalked us all afternoon, swimming towards the boat at high speed every time we hoked one and following us up the creek about 20m off the stern.

Come to Australia for your holidays, everything wants to kill you!

post-4302-0-00387600-1407139056_thumb.jp

If I saw that in front of me I would literally do a poo in my pants and then run for life screaming like a girl.

Yet another reason why I'm happy to stay living in Blighty where the biggest thing you'll come across in the wild is Bambi's mum!

Can you see the fishing line coming out of its mouth? The lure was a Bandit Scud shallow diver, if you were wondering.

This is a big one, eating one about the size of the one I had to chastise above.

The photo was taken by Warren Smith, a fishing guide at Melville Island Lodge where I go fishing for Barramundi. That one is around 5m, about the same size as the boat we fish from. He would weigh about a tonne. Isn't he a beauty?

He would not eat you on the spot, he would take you for a death roll, make sure you were dead by chewing you up a little, then tuck you under a mangrove root somewhere to ripen up, then he would eat you.

post-4302-0-96302100-1407225513_thumb.jp

That can be pulled of to. Done it before all though not to bundy bear extent lol.

That's bogan style, you deserve to get eaten if your doing that. What would happen if you just randomly enter some strangers house? Good odds your going to cop a hiding arnt you? Whats different.

Remember that XXXX ad when the bloke's mate tells him it OK to go in the water because there are no sharks? He then mutters under his breath, "the crocodiles ate all the sharks."

Check out this bad boy. He can jump worryingly well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2718627/Brutus-giant-croc-pictured-eating-bull-shark-star.html

Yep sure do, love the one where the bloke has to pedal the bike to power the tv.