Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

One Hit Wonders

Kubica was very much the modern day Jean Alesi, Maldonado must even be paying the press lol.

As the article mentions, the events of the 2012 Spanish GP really are more and more baffling as time passes and Maldonado continues to underperform.

Most of us don't remember Cevert, Baghetti etc. Kubica for me cos I'm confident he would've gone on to win a few more.

Alesi had plenty of seconds but then so did Heidfeld.

How come Maldonado got a mention but not Jarno Trulli? Trulli much better than Maldonado.

Was only watching the 2004 Monaco GP a few hours ago, well, right up to Schumi's retirement because the video wouldn't buffer anymore for some reason. Yeah Trulli was great. Felt sorry for him quite often though. He always produced belting quali laps but could never keep that momentum in the race.

Was only watching the 2004 Monaco GP a few hours ago, well, right up to Schumi's retirement because the video wouldn't buffer anymore for some reason. Yeah Trulli was great. Felt sorry for him quite often though. He always produced belting quali laps but could never keep that momentum in the race.

Yeah that's true, although in 2009 he performed very well, but yeah he would just fall of a cliff midway through the race, holding up numerous cars which ended up becoming known as "the Trulli train".

hey it takes a very good TALENT to make a train LOL

How come Maldonado got a mention but not Jarno Trulli? Trulli much better than Maldonado.

Oh yeah good point. Was the article meant to be the best drivers of the one-hit-wonders? I remember the '04 monaco GP on the edge of my seat desperately hoping JB would get close enough to attempt a pass (and win).

Can you name any other one hit wonders webric? I'm struggling to think of any more.

Edit: just remembered Olivier Panis!

Umm no that's about it, hopefully someone can bring one up.

Ah Kovalainen! I think we all tend to forget that were actually TWO mclarens in 08-09!

Lol he wasn't to bad in 08, better than I expected. But one hard thump and he was where I expected in 09.

Panis was the one who put up the most entertaining race, coming from 14th on the grid, making some dare devil overtaking manovures, esp on Eddie Irvine, n he held of a late charge from Michael Schumachers Mclaren, so for me, Ollie was my pick as the best one hit wonder

Markus Winkelhock. He might not have won a GP, but he managed to lead the race despite starting dead last in his debut race...on a Spyker..at Nurburgring of all places!

He even overtook Kimi on the track lmavfa.gif

Best.Driver.Ever.

What was Schumacher doing in a McLaren?

Lol just noticed that. He has driven a sauber though and not the sportscar.

32-schumacher_sauber.jpg

Nah dc wore it at Monaco due to the weather his helmet kept fogging up so Schumi lent him one of his and that's where dc finished second I Beleive? This was a shakedown for sauber at ferraris fiorana circuit. Must have something to do with them using Ferrari power. But this is a legit pic and it's not coulthard.

Edit- disregard post, I was unaware you were still referring to Olivier panis's win. Sorry.

I've seen the Schumacher sauber photo, I'm just wondering where was Johnny? Olivier Panis was the coming man before his accident, I would love to know how close to the title fight he would have been if he didn't rub his legs up against the barrier at Montreal, he would have won one GP that year surely?

Markus Winkelhock. He might not have won a GP, but he managed to lead the race despite starting dead last in his debut race...on a Spyker..at Nurburgring of all places!

He even overtook Kimi on the track lmavfa.gif

Best.Driver.Ever.

Heh, that was the first name that came to my mind too.

Awesome name, second only to Stig Blomqvist.

The real Stig tried to kill me with an Audi Quattro in Clumber Park during the RAC rally. I had dived off the road as he approached, as you do when watching rallying and the whistles blow. The tree I hid behind was more of a sapling, about 100mm in diameter and the Quattro clipped it with the arse end.

He won the rally, so I forgave him.

A lot of people think the Top Gear Stig was named after Blomqvist, but it was actually Stig of the Dump, a character in a comic when Clarkson was growing up in the 1960's. It made paper backs and its very own TV series. Stig was a caveman and has a FaceBook page.

I've seen the Schumacher sauber photo, I'm just wondering where was Johnny? Olivier Panis was the coming man before his accident, I would love to know how close to the title fight he would have been if he didn't rub his legs up against the barrier at Montreal, he would have won one GP that year surely?

Agree, he had that Prost flying that year, he nearly won the Spanish gp in 97 if I remember correctly ended up finishing second. He was second or third on the standings at one point ahead of Schumacher. I Beleive he could have won a race that year to. One of my favourite drivers in his Ligier/Prost days.

Agree, he had that Prost flying that year, he nearly won the Spanish gp in 97 if I remember correctly ended up finishing second. He was second or third on the standings at one point ahead of Schumacher. I Beleive he could have won a race that year to. One of my favourite drivers in his Ligier/Prost days.

correct champion! Panis, Alesi, Brundle, n the great Mark Blundell, were my favourite ligier\prost drivers, as u can tell, I'm always cheering for the under dog lol