Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

The Button Saga

For the first time in several years I had a dinner with some old F1 chums I worked with the other night. Two still consult to Renault and Williams respectively. We were talking about Jenson amongst other subjects and how the loss of his late father John seems to have left a vacuum in his life. He seems to be struggling with the setup of his car a lot more than usual and is letting the team make calls he would normally make. In short, he is a little distracted. Ron Dennis's comments didn't help and were completely unnecessary. That is the opinion within the team. Certain people spoke their mind and have been moved on or replaced, hence the changes in JB's engineering team. Nevertheless, he seems pretty cool about his future. The word is that Honda would view his removal from the team as a deal-changer and that's from a very good source. His stock is sky high in Tokyo. There are also rumours that Honda may insist on their own TP/Trackside Manager. They are not impressed with Ron's involvement and the micro-management model it seems he is seeking to establish. The overall feeling amongst my dinner companions is that JB will stay at Woking for another year and then move to Grove with a Honda-sponosored drive and a new engine deal for Frank & Co. Shades of Senna and Mansell all over again.

Hmm. I had the feeling that he'd be going to Grove sooner rather than later. But unless the Honda unit is a corker why would Frank want to give up the Merc lump which has had such a positive impact?

Good call gorilla, maybe they know just how good the Honda power plant is. I mean wasn't there original plan to launch in 2015? I think it was,

Now they have another 12 months up there sleeve. I Beleive the Honda will be a screamer. Maybe Williams knows something we don't know? Like Mclaren scrapping merc for Honda aswell, who knows, maybe merc will pull the pin on engine supplying and only simply themselves. Williams might already know about this, if this scenario is taking place. I don't think JB is as distracted as you may say "insider" but then again he might be good at hiding it, without doubt his farther would be affecting him. Is this the professionalism between say a mature experiences gp driver over someone like Hamilton? IMO there is two possibly three major drivers, the while market is waiting to see and work around what they do. Alonso,Button and possibly Vettel.

...................The overall feeling amongst my dinner companions is that JB will stay at Woking for another year and then move to Grove with a Honda-sponosored drive and a new engine deal for Frank & Co..........

Do you think they mean Bottas will be going to Mac, with JB going to Williams? Can't see Massa going - didn't they do well sponsor-wise from Brazilian companies?

It's been many years since I've seen such an underrated driver as Jense, reminds me of Chris Amon. Sometimes it doesn't pay to have an unspectacular driving style...

On the subject of his Dad dieing, he obvioulsy took it hard, and he's been far more 'together' than I would have expected him to be considering the non-stop circus since the funeral - hope this break will give him time to charge his batteries.

Hmm. I had the feeling that he'd be going to Grove sooner rather than later. But unless the Honda unit is a corker why would Frank want to give up the Merc lump which has had such a positive impact?

They have a historic link with Honda and I am sure it will be an serious rival to the the Merc lump. I addition, I feel Merc might leave the arena as far as multi-team engine supply goes. VW may be on the way in too.

Yeah heard about vw potential plan to buy out Redbull. But the rate Bernie wants it (8 teams,3cars each) it will turn out just as a manufacturer series.

For sure it matters, reaction times, risk taking. Many drivers slow down when they become a father, because that last element of risk taking gets replaced by responsibility.

I am still risk taker, but I think back to some of the risks I took in my 20's and I feel cold sweat coming on.

I do not think Button is past it by any means and I would like to see him get a renewal. I think the Honda connection will see him over the line.

I dunno about Williams changing to Honda power and what is this about Mercedes stepping down from customer engines?

He's the oldest on the grid.

He's DONE !

Alonso is only a year younger than him (or maybe even the same age, 33), is he done too?

Anyway I thought the Japanese were supposed to love Jenson!

You are right, I have never heard a single hint that Alonso might be over the hill and they are much of an age.

Funny, innit, for some reason Button is being written off and I have no idea why. If he was getting hosed by his team-mate and under-performing in a quick McLaren, I could understand it. He isn't, though and the McLaren is the worst of the Mercedes powered cars, embarrassingly.

I find it funny how no one is writing kimi or Vettel of and IMO button is doing better than the pair of them given the car he has.

Kimi and Vettel are getting their fair share of public flogging IMO.

F1 is a fickle world. You're judged on your last race and if you're driving a hunk of turd it's hard to keep reminding the world that you've got what it takes to win races. This is a guy who was level pegging with Lewis for 3 years and beat all his other team-mates (bar his rookie season & that dire '01 benetton), but because he's struggling to do better than 8th people question whether he should be around at all.

Sir Frank hasn't forgotten though!

Alonso is only a year younger than him (or maybe even the same age, 33), is he done too?

Anyway I thought the Japanese were supposed to love Jenson!

I support F1 drivers regardless of nationality. I'm not racist

Lol so to support a driver because he's from your country would be racist?

Anyway you didn't answer my first point!

Who was smashing every record in the book at around 30-35? Schumi.

Lol so to support a driver because he's from your country would be racist?

Anyway you didn't answer my first point!

Just because I said that Jenson is done doesn't mean I do not like him don't I ? Why do you assume that?

I comment based on what I see not based on my feeling.

For ex: I'm a big fan of Massa but I criticize him whenever he does silly crashes. But that doesn't mean I hate him right ?

Got my point now ?

Who was smashing every record in the book at around 30-35? Schumi.

Schumi is SPECIAL. And also Schumi was a young 35.

I never said that Jenson is old based on his age. I said his Done - and by that I meant he's Spent / Finished regardless of his age.

You got my point now too ?

Just because I said that Jenson is done doesn't mean I do not like him don't I ? Why do you assume that?

I comment based on what I see not based on my feeling.

For ex: I'm a big fan of Massa but I criticize him whenever he does silly crashes. But that doesn't mean I hate him right ?

Got my point now ?

Hey it's friday, don't get your knickers in a twist!

You still haven't answered my first point (about Alonso, got my question??)

Jenson is special too! "schumi was a young 35" I'm starting to wonder whether you're deliberately talking nonsense to wind us up...

Hey it's friday, don't get your knickers in a twist!

You still haven't answered my first point (about Alonso, got my question??)

Jenson is special too! "schumi was a young 35" I'm starting to wonder whether you're deliberately talking nonsense to wind us up...

Wasn't talking about Alonso. Got my answer?

Pointless discussion until the end of the season.

Let's just wait and see where Jenson end up next season.

I say not in Works team and most possibly not in F1.

That's my point. He's done and so as this replies.

I noticed that your the "LORD" of the Buttonites. Sorry to pinch you in the nerve LOL.

Enjoy your Friday. Were almost Saturday herebyebye.gif

Wasn't talking about Alonso. Got my answer?

Pointless discussion until the end of the season.

Let's just wait and see where Jenson end up next season.

I say not in Works team and most possibly not in F1.

That's my point. He's done and so as this replies...

No, I haven't got the answer I'm afraid. Because you were saying earlier he's done because he's the oldest. Bust Alonso is the same age, so why isn't Alonso done too? Then webric said Schuey was older than Jenson is now when he was still smashing records, and your answer for that is that Schuey was a young 35, which doesn't even make sense.

I think he'll be at mclaren next year although I'd rather he went to williams.

No, I haven't got the answer I'm afraid. Because you were saying earlier he's done because he's the oldest. Bust Alonso is the same age, so why isn't Alonso done too? Then webric said Schuey was older than Jenson is now when he was still smashing records, and your answer for that is that Schuey was a young 35, which doesn't even make sense.

I think he'll be at mclaren next year although I'd rather he went to williams.

It's got nothing to do with the age - in numbers. When I said a YOUNG 35 , it means a person who's 35 but feels or perform younger than that. GEEZZ I can;t believe you don't know this term.

Jenson is more of a SPENT rather than just 35 or something. Frankly I don't even know his actual age.

And stop comparing Jenson to Schumi or Alonso. Stop kidding yourself....