Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

The Weather

I have been feeling sorry for myself about the weather.

Brisbane is about 1,000km south of the Tropic of Capricorn, so the myth about a tropical climate is exactly that.

I have been burning 150kg of firewood per week.

Blouse, I hear you thinking. Well, we have had lows down to 2 degree centigrade, a 100 year low.

I felt compelled to check the weather in Sheffield, near where I lived in the UK. Lows of 12-14 and highs 20-22.

It is officially warmer in Sheffield than it is in Brisbane.errrrrr.gif

Well that'll learn you for deserting the motherland ha!

When your summer comes though you can bask in the heat whilst we, in our summertime, rejoice simply when there's no rain.

I had to desert, I am a mining engineer and it was not going to see my career out. Glad I did, though.

Summer here is different, that is when we get our rain. It comes in short bursts, torrential rain for an hour late afternoon then back to sunshine. Winter is cool, but it hardly ever rains. I put 5,000 l in the pool this afternoon from a tank, we harvest water from the roof.

It snowed in Brisbane once, for about 20 minutes, but that was before i came here.

The summer heat here is fine, but it gets punishing up north when I go there for work. Step out of the plane in Mackay and it is like being hit in the face with a hot, wet fish.

Ah so aussies may seem to have it all, with their comfortabe living and great weather and beaches, but they don't have snow...kids over there are missing out!

The Victorians have had some recently, but you have to head for a mountain for real snow. Personally, I can live without it.

It is not all beer and skittles here, mossies, sharks, crocodiles, snakes, spiders, jellyfish.

I am from Brisbane, in Corinda and its not that cold. Yes anything below 20c is cold but your not used to it yet (for this winter)?

Not at all. I lived in India for a year and I am convinced that exposure to hot climates makes you incapable of coping with colder ones.

I am a complete wuss, it can be 14 in the morning and I still feel freezing.

It is not all beer and skittles here, mossies, sharks, crocodiles, snakes, spiders, jellyfish.

Does anyone actually stick a shrimp on the barbie? I have my doubts.

Yes anything below 20c is cold

It should be the height of summer here in the UK and it's currently about 15c outside!

Of course we do, it is just that Hogan was exaggerating with the prawn, calling it a shrimp.

Tigers or Kings are $7 off the boat, cooked and up to $30 retail.

Here is a Tiger, still living.

post-4302-0-83544200-1407837902.jpg

You coming back to the UK? I don't think I could ever do the flight, sounds horrific (I find it hard to sit still even for an hour)

No, Jem, Newcastle, NSW. Headed home today, off there tomorrow afternoon. The flight to Europe is a monster, I have only ever done it business class, i have to say, which is a touch embarrassing to say.

I have done a lot of long haul, the seats in Business flatten out to a bed, so you do get some sleep, but it still sucks.

I hate flying, soon as you get through the door on the plane and smell that perculated coffee smell.

Make me sick as.

I love flying. Well, I love take-off. Maybe it's just cos of the acceleration. My wife once flew to Oz and it was something like 12 hours over to hong kong, then another few hours down to australia. Dont know how people do it!