Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delivery_Driver

Verstappen Replaces Vergne At S.t.r

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/497298/Verstappen_confirmed_at_Toro_Rosso_for_2015/ Well that did not take long, I hope that J.E.V does end up getting a seat somewhere else, I think red bull were fair to let J.E.V to know pretty early in the season, but thoughts on Max Verstappen being the youngest ever person to race a formula one car from next season? And what happens now to Antonio Felix Da Costa and Carlos Sainz jr and countless others?

Hmmm but Raikkonen was a competent driver, did he only do 21 car races before his debut? I think this is Max's first year this year in single seaters n his got a gig at a pretty good formula one team as it turns out

Yes, 23 in Formula Renault. The FIA rules talk about success, championships in lower categories, not getting involved in incidents etc but it is largely down to their discretion as far as I can see.

I had to Google it, he has done 27 races in FIA F3, won 8.

Wow pretty impressive record. As for Raikkonen though, he wasn't 17 when going for super licence.

@delivery driver - vergne simply isn't quick enough. Out paced by Ricciardo and now Kvyat. Vergnes best year was his first. It's been to long now without a "big" result.

Still can't Beleive he jumped da Costa and Sainz Jr for the seat. They must hold confidence in him, now where does Mercedes stand in this picture? Didnt he already sign with them?

But Vergne is better than Massa and Perez, and younger, I know what your saying about the big result, but massa for instance has not won a GP since 2008, n stayed at Ferrari for 5 further years n is getting smashed by bottas this year, I don't know what their long term plans are with Da Costa but I think sainz may end up with a buy a drive at sauber or caterham, J.E.V will fit pretty nice at sauber wouldn't he, he is better than Sutil n his Mexican team mate

I think both Mercedes and Red Bull made him an offer, with Red Bull clinching the deal.

I imagine the deal was sealed on the basis of the STR seat in 2015. Otherwise, he would be in a Mercedes backed F3 car in 2015.

One of the benefits of a junior F1 team, I guess.

I think that's what persuaded him to sign, Redbull

Saying they'll give him a TR seat.

@delivery driver - No way is vergne faster than Massa or Perez. Massa is doing better than Raikkonen if you want to analyse like that. Massa scored more points and was closer to Alonso than Raikkonen is and Perez all though hot headed and arrogant is bloody quick. Can't say much more for vergne, other than a few 6ths or 7ths in qualy that's all he has done and the hype surrounding him compared to Ricciardo at the time, sheer disappointment if you ask me.

Nobody survives at STR for long if they get beaten by their team-mate.

I can see Vergne in a Formula E car next year, I do not see him in F1.

My reasoning is that there is nowhere for him to go, unless he can find the money to pay for a drive.

This can only end badly. He's going to be waaaaay out of his depth. Survive the year, maybe return in 2016, still be out of his depth, and then F1 career over before his 19th birthday. Completely stupid managment move. If Jos is managaing him, he's doing a p**s poor job.

Half the GP2 field, and a quarter of the GP3 field would eat Max up, and spit him out....he would be weighed and measured and be found wanting. If anyone deserves a seat in F1 at the moment it's Coletti, quickly followed by Palmer and Nasr.

Bad, bad, bad. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I see the general consensus here is that this is not a good idea - and that's exactly how I feel too.

I too thought of Kimi in 2001 but Kimi wasn't a boy. Max V is literally a CHILD. Surely there must be a minimum age for obtaining a super license? I guess not.

Alguersari is the current record holder for youngest ever f1 driver. Max is going to smash that record by nearly 2 years. What I want to know is, why rush?

And daddy Carlos Sainz and junior Carlos Sainz must both be thinking WTF, where's my drive then??

I feel for JEV. First he loses out on the RBR seat to Dan, now this. He's leading Kvyat in quali & races, I think people forget that simply because Kvyat has stuck it in the top 10 a few times. Vergne has too, on MORE occasions, but hardly anyone notices.

I do not rate Kvyat - at all. The voice in the back of my head says to me, that, yes, people can get better at their craft over time, but the season he came to NZ to compete in TRS, he was spanked all over the race track. There are a tonne of drivers better than him.

Sainz Jnr is a great driver. I'd take him over Max any day of the week for my team.

Coletti, ditto.

Jolyn Palmer is proving to be a metranomic driver and always at the pointy end

And Nasr is plain quick.

Alex Lynn - I rate him highly too.

In that season of TRS, Mitch Evans was the Champion - currently 4th (from memory) in GP2 standings, and of course past GP3 champion. Second was Nick Cassidy, another Kiwi plying his craft in Europe, but missed out on a GP3 drive through lack of $$$. Third was Jamie McNee, who is just a young'un rug rat here in NZ. Fourth was Scott Pye, now a V8 Supercars driver. Then Kvyatt in fifth. He won one race, but was out driven by Alex Lynn five times. Daniil had this massive slump in the middle of the season (one that lasts five consecutive weekends), and came back reasonably well towards the end, but I can't but recall the gulf in talent between Mitch and Cassidy to the rest of the field that year....

Money talks. Especially Russian money, it seems.

But, yeah...I'd put at least ten other drivers ahead of Max Verstappen that are not currently in F1....(drum roll please)

Sainz Jr

Coletti

Palmer

Nasr

Lynn

Mitch Evans

Richie Stanaway

Stoffell Van Doorne

Stephane Richelmi

Jack Hawksworth

Jonny Cecotto Jnr (even if he is crash prone :P )

Vergne is worthy of a Sauber drive I think, that makes sense surely, n Sainz jr in for Markus erriccson

can't do any worse than Sutil can he?

That's right champ, vergne is young, but has a bit of experience on his side now, so a team like sauber could really benefit from his speed, skill and experience, I just think he has been unlucky this year with his car constantly breaking down

But the way it is ATM, like Andy said, he won't have a drive unless he can bring money.

How much sponsorship is Sutil bringing to Sauber? I don't think it will be many millions, I know his bringing money from medion, I like the idea of Vergne to Sauber, let's make a petition to make that happen yeah

Lol I could think of quite a few drivers id help before vergne.

Just heard a very brief interview with Max on the radio in my car. First of all, his english for a 16-yr old is great! Definitely getting an A* in that school subject!

He's not short on confidence. He said last year he made the jump from karts to cars and has done well, and that's a much bigger step than going from cars to F1. Naive? We'll see.

He was asked if he's worried about the danger of F1, and he said "no not really. The cars are so safe now and I think there's more danger cycling in the city than driving an f1 car". He is right there.

Bad BBC: their sport correspondent kept pronouncing 'Jos' incorrectly!