Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Goodwood

I recorded the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago and finally watched it tonight.

Incredible. Some amazing machines going up the hill. John Surtees in a period Ferrari F1 car being followed up the hill by Raikkonen in a V8 Ferrari F1 car had me close to tears. Button in the 2011 McLaren, bloody marvellous. He was pumped, obviously loving it.

It is on the bucket list, along with the Monaco Grand Prix and Isle of Man TT, both of which were planned this year until my mate got the hard word from the wife.

Pussy.

One question Andy, where's the money coming from? I have two kids and a stay at home Missus who looks after my youngest and I can't even afford to attend my home gp, let alone something like Monaco or Isle of Man, oh how I envy you.

Sounds great, I always seem to miss it on TV, and have always wanted to go. No excuse considering I'm in UK, but unlikely to happen for a while now with baby on the way.

I stopped even considering silverstone a few years back cos the price is ludicrous. I dread to think what monaco would cost!

Sorry guys, did not mean to sound like a knob.

I run a consulting business, WebRic, it does well.

Monaco is expensive, getting there, accommodation, balcony viewing, stupid really, although some of the viewing looks spectacular.

I will admit that the lack of noise put me off to quite a large degree.

Monaco and the TT are a week apart, meaning that it would end up being nearly a month away with travel, not much good if you have a wife and young kids. Mine grew up!

I've been to the Festival on a couple of occasions and heartily recommend it. watched the Revival on the idiot box last night - must go to that one.

On TV, it looks quite free from restriction in terms of access to the area where the cars are and the hill. Is that true in practice or is it deceiving on the box? How about getting in and out, is it like Silverstone or is access OK? Any information you can give me will be much appreciated.

I like the look and concept of the Revival, possibly preferable to the FOS.

Damn, this bucket list is getting longer and longer.

Sorry guys, did not mean to sound like a knob.

I run a consulting business, WebRic, it does well.

Monaco is expensive, getting there, accommodation, balcony viewing, stupid really, although some of the viewing looks spectacular.

Monaco and the TT are a week apart, meaning that it would end up being nearly a month away with travel, not much good if you have a wife and young kids. Mine grew up!

Fair enough, you've done your time being "tied down" so live it up. That's why I had my kids when I was young. So I've got plenty time to do what we want later when ther capable of taking care of themselves.

That's a good point, it just wouldn't be the same. It'd make me sad hearing it, having experienced the screaming V10's in past years.

What does your business consult on?

That's why I had my kids when I was young. So I've got plenty time to do what we want later when ther capable of taking care of themselves.

That was my plan too, I've got a 6-yr old and I'm about the same age as you; but a few months ago I managed to knock her up again oops! My wife, that is.

Makes me interested to know what we all do for a living. Preventing explosions sounds rather more interesting than my job

On TV, it looks quite free from restriction in terms of access to the area where the cars are and the hill. Is that true in practice or is it deceiving on the box? How about getting in and out, is it like Silverstone or is access OK? Any information you can give me will be much appreciated.

I like the look and concept of the Revival, possibly preferable to the FOS.

Damn, this bucket list is getting longer and longer.

Access is great. You can just wander around the paddock and meet the drivers, and get close up to, and into, the cars. Most of them are there for the same reason we all go - it's great fun - so by and large they're happy just to chat with us mere mortals. The only thing between you and the hill is a row of straw bales, and access into Goodwood is fine; nothing like as bad as Silverstone and really well organised. There are a couple of (expensive) hotels nearby, but I stay on the coast as it's not far to drive.

The Revival is on my list as it's real racing rather than demonstration runs. And I believe you get in for free or reduced rates if you arrive in period dress or with a suitably aged vehicle.