Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Verstappen To Run At Suzuka

I missed the news that the FIA granted him a superlicense.

The rules for that are bizarre. In order to get the license, the driver must be the reigning champion in an FIA series such as GP2 or have finished well in those series.

As an example, five podiums in two years in GP2 counts.

Or, if the FIA delegates agree unanimously, the driver needs to have run 300km in an F1 car. On an empty track.

He was second this year in Euro F3, winning a number of races, so he qualifies. He has also conducted the 300km of testing in an out of date car.

He will be almost two years younger than the previous youngest person to start a Grand Prix next year.

He will run in FP1 at Suzuka this week.

I'm seeing headlines like 'Stewart says Verstappen could be f1 superstar' and 'Marko compares Verstappen to Senna'. These buffoons are setting him up for a downfall.

The world won't expect too much at suzuka, but come Melbourne he's going to have the world's eyes on him and if he deals with that pressure then well done to him. I still think Sainz should've got the drive but we'll wait and see if Red Bull made the right decision.

Who is he replacing in the practice session? I'm guessing JEV. If he can get close to Kvyat's times the world will be impressed, but then Mrs Wolff got pretty close to Massa's best time at silverstone and no-one really cared.

I hate to say it but I actually hope he fails miserably at suzuka so the world can wake up and get a big dose of common sense.

That senna comment was just stupid. How disrespectful that is to senna when a child is being compared to the greatest driver of all time. Didnt they say Jan Magnussen would be BETTER than Senna? And how many points did he score over his entire career? Like 3

Better than Senna. Perhaps a little early in his career to be making such a lavish claim.

He will replace JEV, as you would expect.

I get your point, Jem, you do not mean it maliciously towards the kid, you mean a wake up call to some of the goons in F1 would be a good idea.

Indeed. Someone at RBR, maybe Marko I can't remember, was asked why rush him into F1, and the answer was that he's a 'once in a generation' talent.

For me that answer is invalid. If he truly is the Second Coming of Christ/Senna, then even more reason to nurture him and not throw him into the shark pool whilst he's still a boy.

I agree, that is BS, let him hone his skills in GP2. It is not as if they are in a hurry to groom someone for RBR with Vettel and Ricciardo in place.

Or is it........

Maybe they know something already we don't know. 3 cars maybe? Or 2 seaters?

Maybe. You think Vettel might be of to do the next "Home Alone" movie?

I think getting his arse wiped by a rookie (almost) might be p**sing him off a fair bit. Bearing in mind the 2014 car was built for Vettel, Ricciardo's performance is even more embarrassing.

If it happens again in 2015, I think he has no choice but to look elsewhere.

Well he could yet be a Ferrari driver in 2015! I dont think so, but the fat lady has not sung yet.

I would've thought RBR's back up in such a scenario would be Kvyat anyway.