Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Japanese Gp

Not when I watched it, it wasn't! laugh.png

The coverage was on at 1ish. I was going to watch the sky replay, but they didn't show it. Did the bbc show it earlier on then replayed it at lunch time?

Yea it was on live early in the morning. Admittedly I didnt bother getting up, I'd already set it to record. FYI Russia this weekend is live too! Then the only remaining live BBC race is Abu Dhabi.

Yea it was on live early in the morning. Admittedly I didnt bother getting up, I'd already set it to record. FYI Russia this weekend is live too! Then the only remaining live BBC race is Abu Dhabi.

Odd that sky didn't show the replay, but the bbc did.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the lack of a safety car following Sutil's off. I don't think that would have made a blind bit of difference. If the SC had been scrambled as soon as Adrian went off, it would come out somewhere behind Jules, given his position on the track. So he gets to the scene before the SC, even driving to delta. And even driving to delta, it's entirely possible to aquaplane straight off the circuit. We've seen it before, many times. Even if the recovery vehicle was held back until the SC was deployed, I'm not sure it would have made that much difference. There is a gap in the barrier at that point (so the recovery vehicle can access the track), and Jules was headed straight for it.

There is footage out there and it is pretty nasty; I was knocked back by the sheer speed at which the car arrived. At that velocity I think the outcome would have been serious in any case.

Maybe three cars teams make sense now, cause teams with less money make cars that aren't safe to drive in those conditions! And they don't have enough money to secure conditions to test properly! Just remember Maria de Vilota crash!

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the lack of a safety car following Sutil's off. I don't think that would have made a blind bit of difference. If the SC had been scrambled as soon as Adrian went off, it would come out somewhere behind Jules, given his position on the track. So he gets to the scene before the SC, even driving to delta. And even driving to delta, it's entirely possible to aquaplane straight off the circuit. We've seen it before, many times. Even if the recovery vehicle was held back until the SC was deployed, I'm not sure it would have made that much difference. There is a gap in the barrier at that point (so the recovery vehicle can access the track), and Jules was headed straight for it.

There is footage out there and it is pretty nasty; I was knocked back by the sheer speed at which the car arrived. At that velocity I think the outcome would have been serious in any case.

Yep, I have seen that footage too and you are right about the speed. I thought it might have been the camera angle or field of view making it seem quicker, but I guess not, if you thought the same. Sort of makes me wonder if he had a mechanical issue as he seemed to arrive at the scene considerably quicker than Sutil did, considering it was double waved yellows by that time. Thank heavens no marshals were in Bianchi's path.

Man, the Bianci footage is HECTIC!!! Tell you what, I've said it before, track marshalls don't have it easy, they were damn lucky not to get hit!!!! Just check this Sh#t out!!!! Thoughts with Bianchi and wish him a speedy recovery!!!

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/503341/Footage_emerges_of_Jules_Bianchis_Japanese_GP_crash/

They say 110 mph. He went in hard. I did some calcs, I reckon over 200 G on impact, which is borderline survivable but that does not take into account the cranial impact.

Problem is he went of the circuit straight so he hardly scrubs of any speed when he hits the truck.

No way. Negligence on behalf of the FIA for sure. To delay the start of the race and then start it behind the safety was the right thing to do but then when this band of rain come through late in the afternoon, the conditions were twice as bad yet they kept them racing. Then could've red flagged it at 40 laps and still would have been able to dish out full points and this awful accident wouldn't have accured. They other thing, once Sutil's car was hooked up the Marshall starting waving the green flag. So "A" visibility was so poor Bianchi couldn't see the yellow flag. Or "B" Bianchi saw the green flag. Hard to say but reguardless, should have been a safety car soon as Sutil went of. Yeah Bianchi wouldn't have caught the car before reaching that part of the circuit, but he would have slowed down significantly. So I hate to say it but its the FIA for not stopping the race soon enough. Or atleast deploy the safety car. Jacques Villeneuve said that the rules need to be changed. Safety car should be deployed in every incident like NASCAR. I have to agree with Jacques on this one.

Hi everybody, I just watched a video of Bianchi's crash on GPtoday.com and it shows a green flag being waived in th post right behind the recovery vehicle, maybe I am wrong but I think they should have waited until the recovery vehicle were out of that area.

G'day mate and welcome, yeah that's right about the green flag and that's what iam confused about with Bianchi. Did he see the green flag or couldn't he see the yellow?

That green was downstream of the incident, though, which was correct, the double waved yellows before the accident were still there.

The only real issue I can see whether conditions were bad enough to red flag it. Hindsight says yes.

All the stuff about the time the race started is irrelevant to me, it is conditions at that time that count. I read on a forum that if the race had started at 1PM, this terrible accident would never have happened. That is ridiculous. Ignoring the fact that we cannot know that, the race would then have finished at around 3PM when it was raining hard.

A safety car would not have helped, it was only one lap after Sutil's crash so the SC wold not have got there.

I am not seeing anything good coming out of this.

True safety car wouldn't have got there but iam sure bianchi would have got the message the car was coming out before he got back round to Sutil, so he could have quite possibly slowed down. Time is irrelevant and to say it couldn't happen and blah blah blah is irrelevant to, the fact is, is that it wasn't dealt with in the best possible way at the time it happened.

The other thing, that corner Bianchi went of on is an of camber incline, there would have been that much water running down the circuit towards the drivers as the try and turn in and that's what I think happened to bianchi, tried to turn in and nothing, straight of into the gravel, would explain the speed he was still carrying on impact. Vettel went of, then Sutil and then bianchi, all in the same area. Reminded me of the river just after the senna s in brazil at the 2003 race how many ended up in that wall including Schumi stunned me,

Well yeah due to poor visibility or he didnt even see the yellows at all and only saw the green.

That point behind the crash site was too close to the accident to have a green flag, that flag should have been on the next corner or post, specially being twisty area of the track, even after Bianchi's crash you can see the green flag being waived and the Marshall or flag guy looking to the crash maybe trying to understand what was going on, anyway that's only my take on that and I now that even under yellow flags they try to gain any possible advantage so there's no guaranty that this could haven been prevented by a yellow flag.

The speed he went of was basically at race speed, I think he tried to turn in and be ause the circuit is off camber and going down hill, there would have been a ton of water running down hill, Bianchi tried to turn in,aquaplaned straight ahead. He went straight of, didnt spin and because of that, scrubbed of stuff all speed.

Not good at all. Very sad indeed. You can't help but to feel some sort of sad feeling yourself as we know these guys, not personally of course but we have seen them rise thought the ranks, debut in the first f1 race. We ride all those emotions with them, just from the lounge room that's all. So you can't help but to feel like its a friend that this has happened to. Well I do anyway.

Very sad for his family. I've seen the footage and it's horrific. Maybe a perfect case of wrong place, wrong time. I can't fault the FIA for anything about this incident however, whether the safety car was deployed quickly or not. It seemed to be deployed quick quickly I felt considering how slowly some of been sent out in the past. But I really feel there is no place for big heavy tractors like that, with marshalls holding down ropes of the swinging car whilst the cars are going around the circuit. There should be some new rules when it comes to crashes that happen in the wet. Because of aquaplaning and so on, the chances of a car going off at the same spot are way way higher. Thus they need to add, change and rethink their approach to dealing with crashes in wet conditions.

Suzuka is 3+km long. When you add up both sides of the track you have over 6kms of barriers and places a car could crash. So to have two cars go off at the exact same spot very close together, means the rain may or must have caused some pooling or situation whereby what was safe in the dry, became a whole different environment in the wet.

As for drivers like Massa saying he was screaming for 5 laps to stop the race, he's one of the worst wet weather drivers on the grid. Naturally he'd want the race stopped. Kimi stated he felt it was fine and not as bad as it looked or people felt. And Smedley's comments that canopies could be implemented quickly isn't the answer either. Le Mans drivers have been killed and maimed as well. If F1 adds canopies, our sport which is already a laughing stock is that much closer to dying.

They stopped the race for an hour in Silverstone to replace the damaged railing that Kimi's car hit. Yet they let a full size tractor lifter vehicle out onto the grass runoff without seeing it as a problem. I personally think Charlie Whiting has too many responsibilities during a race. But hopefully lessons can be learned and new rules, changes to existing rules and improvements come about because of this.

This is a sad unfortunate accident no doubt. I hope Jules pulls through, but I think he may not make it in the end.

FIA have made formula one safe, no doubt about it but you can't count for freak accidents like that. At the same time I Beleive there is negligence on there behalf concerning Jules though.

I agree it was a freak accident. The only negligence I see is having the tractor on the grass run off area before a safety car was deployed. But that hasn't been the first time that's occurred either.

Jules was going awfully fast too. Was the SC out yet, where the SC signs on? Where they waving double yellows at the spot of the circuit? Time will reveal all that info I think.