Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Closed Seaters.

It is possible for the camera to enhance light, my own SLR sees more light than the human eye at high ISO, but a light on the side of the camera would not achieve anything unless it lit the whole track, which is unlikely.

There is a lot of difference between a light on the side of a camera and what is done at the Singapore GP.

It is not possible for an slr to see more light than the human eye, even at high iso and even with the fastest lens. And by that time, the quality would be so bad as to not be worth it anyway.

They sit on the side of the lens, parallel with the lens itself so the side of the light is what actually lightens up the lense, your correct as a direct bulb would produce to much glare, there more or less there to light the area of which the lens with look through if you know what I mean. The picture is exactly like you mentioned about an interview but minus the flood lamps. So it will produce the same lighting effect without transferring the light anywhere but in the point of view of the camera.long story short, it's basically like tapping a flashlight on the side of your camera, but even the bulb is different, it's not a high tense bulb in the sense it blinds people.

Surely all that would do would increase immediate foreground light and make anything beyond a limited distance (very limited, unless it is a huge light) appear even darker?

Yep all good. Anyway, what you think of those pics I posted? Do you think lowering the driver would make it abit safer?

Well, I would prefer that to closed c#ckpits, for sure. I think it would make it safer, I just don't know at what expense to visibility.

Yeah but that's not what formula one is about. If there going to that extent, why not just blow the brains out of a touring car and use them.

They surely cannot get much lower and still see where they are going?

Pablo, the Canon 1DX can take sharp, low noise images at an ISO of 204,800. I can stand in a dark room unable to see anything at all and the camera will capture an image. It needs less light than I do, or my 22 year old son, come to that.

The 1DX has redefined low light shooting.

They surely cannot get much lower and still see where they are going?

Pablo, the Canon 1DX can take sharp, low noise images at an ISO of 204,800. I can stand in a dark room unable to see anything at all and the camera will capture an image. It needs less light than I do, or my 22 year old son, come to that.

The 1DX has redefined low light shooting.

Yes, I know about the 1dx. However, the reviews I have read have suggested an ev range of about 11 or 12, whereas the human eye has up to 14, but due to the way the eye works, it is more complicated than that, which is why we can register stars, for example, without needing a longer exposure, like a camera. Also, the reviews I have read about it still suggests iso 25,600 is just about usable, but anything after that requires cleaning up, which is what I said about noise in high iso pictures.

Nobody on any photography forums I have been on has posted pix from the 1dx in complete darkness, then again, there are not so many of them about in the amateur/semi pro world, I would guess. So, as I said, we will agree to disagree.

Yeah but that's not what formula one is about. If there going to that extent, why not just blow the brains out of a touring car and use them.

Exactly. And therein lies the problem, motor racing, especially open c#ckpit racing, is just inherently dangerous.

Exactly. And therein lies the problem, motor racing, especially open c#ckpit racing, is just inherently dangerous.

That's what we all except but struggle to when a horrendous incident happens like this.

That's what we all except but struggle to when a horrendous incident happens like this.

Yep indeed. I quite like the idea of this virtual safety car if they can manage to sort that out, though.

Well that's probably the only reasonable solution isn't without actually governing the car from race control.

If Massa and whoever else want closed c#ckpits then there are plenty of other forms of motorsport they can switch to.

F1 is dangerous, always has been, and everyone involved accepts that simply by being involved. F1 is open wheeled and open c#ckpit.

It'd be safer if the cars were wrapped in pillows or made of rubber so they bounced off things, but that's not f1. And neither is having a closed c#ckpit.

It's a sad fact of motorsport, but accidents will happen, and people will get hurt.

If Massa and whoever else want closed c#ckpits then there are plenty of other forms of motorsport they can switch to.

F1 is dangerous, always has been, and everyone involved accepts that simply by being involved. F1 is open wheeled and open c#ckpit.

It'd be safer if the cars were wrapped in pillows or made of rubber so they bounced off things, but that's not f1. And neither is having a closed c#ckpit.

It's a sad fact of motorsport, but accidents will happen, and people will get hurt.

Yep absolutely, play with fire, your gonna get burnt.

I disagree it could be 100% safe when and only when money doesn't become the number one agenda. When safety is priority over everything, then it could be, but it really has to be Nd not a bunch of douche bags just saying it is.

I don't think it's possible for it to be impossible to get hurt (or even killed); these machines are cornering at 180mph sometimes, wheel to wheel, and no matter what you make them out of, or what the barriers are made of, the risk of injury or death will always be there.

Looking at some of the close up photos that have made their way around the internet of the accident and the medical team treating him, you can see that his head doesn't look have have sustained any real injury. The helmet protected him from outward injury. The problem is, that injuries like bianchi's occure because the brain is floating around in soup inside the skull. Even with a closed pit, his brain would still have smashed against the inside of his own skull. And there really is no way to prevent such injuries other than to have the decceleration happen over a longer period of time, ie. slower.

In the old days this was never a problem because drivers died way before anything like this happened. Now the risk of injury in a crash is almost only due to things that can't be secured inside of the body. Bianchi's injuries are almost identical to Schumi's, the helmet protected the head but the brain still smashed into the skull.

Yes that is correct. But if where talking like this, then nothing we do in our everyday lives are safe. Any freak accident can happen, I guess then it can be 100% safe in the fact no driver will die like they did in the past, it's the internal injuries than do the damage, so basically they get damaged from the second impact if you know what I mean, the reaction. That's what you mean hey?

I tend to agree, a diffuse axonal injury would have resulted, most likely, with a closed c#ckpit. The only thing I can think of which may have mitigated the injury is an airbag. Same velocity change but over a slightly longer time duration equals brain exposed to reduced rate of deceleration and hence G.

Schumacher suffered a different trauma, resulting from point impact when his head hit a rock, he does not have DAI.

The prognosis is not encouraging in either case.