Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Hamilton's Bling

Not at all, doesn't bother me in the slightest if you are hating on Lewis, you can hate whoever you feel like hating, the person is irrelevant, the actions are the relevant point.

It just makes me laugh that people spend so much time following people they supposedly hate. I don't spend that much time following people I like, let alone people I don't like. It seems like a complete waste of time to me and seems to fuel your hate even more.

Still, IMO I will never forget that. You don't see Michael Jordan screaming racism every time he picked up a foul. Soon as he went the racist card. I lost all respect for him. If he wants to be like that, did he every concider why he got into f1? Maybe that's the only reason, awesome marketing tool, just like eminem to hip hop, but he won't admit that, it's his skill that got him there. It did but iam saying if anyone ever said that to him, he would disagree, but in context it's no different than what he said, it just suited him and his situation at the time.

I can see now why you lost so much respect for Lewis after that comment, being that you actually thought he was being serious. It is thus:

It was purely a joke and he wasn't actually suggesting the stewards are racist. He was asked why he keeps getting so many penalties, he had no answer so he stupidly said, with a smile, "i dunno, maybe 'its cos im black', thats what Ali G always says". Now, Ali G was a fictional character played by Sacha Baron Cohen on a comedy show about 10 years ago which I would guess was only popular in UK, and one of his catchphrases was "is it cos im black?" - it was an extremely moronic attempt at making light of the situation, but obviously it was gold for the media.

He said it in a way that was derogatory, Ali g is a comedian. Two totally different scenarios.

He shouldnt have said it at all but I'd bet a lot of money he wasn't seriously suggesting that the stewards were racists, he was trying to make a joke out of it.

I haven't seen the vid for a while but I remember thinking it was obvious he was joking, he was even smiling when he said it

I just watched it, he guffawed as he said it. Silly thing to say, but that is it.

Hey, Jem, we get TV as well! We even got Sacha as Borat, Bruno and the Dictator, legendary!

I do not like his image conscious personality. Or maybe it is because he is black.

Must be a different video, because iam pretty sure he was quite upset and just flung it out there. At the end of the day, doesn't matter if he was joking or not, I spat my coffee out when I heard it, I couldn't Beleive he said that at all and I was like "lewis, why did you have to go there for" since then I struggle to see him the same as I did before.

He's into bling, and the lifestyle it depicts - within his 'social standing'; well off, rapper-type stuff, music contacts he's possibly made through his g/f. He also either (of two extremes), wears his heart on his sleeve, or plays the 'poor disadvantaged black kid' (see his comments re Niko, Monaco, and his comparison of their lifestyles... which is bull**it - Keke wasn't rich, Lew's dad was when he got Lewis into Ron, and his business dealings took off).

His comment re Ali G might have been an innocent off-the-cuff comment, though as 'me Grandma used to say, "many a true word spoken in jest". We all live our lives with influences of family before/with us - though imo I think he's prone to the 'poor me' stature that some *coloured people can lean on or use.

Mentally, he's still a roller-coaster of emotion, still very child-like in many ways (constantly looking to impress for support etc) and as a fan of motor sport I think it's a weak thing.... you drive the balls off your car and nothing else matters - end of.

He's a magician behind the wheel in terms of reacting to the car and squezing the best he can get from the car, so yes, a mighty fine driver. Each to their own in fan-boy-land, but I think very little of him in real life (the only driver to not take his hat off to the Jules tribute the drivers joined together for example)

*I am colour blind, though I don't do pc.

I don't do hate either. I'm just one of those that think he loves himself too much and if he put as much work into charity as Schumi, JB, Trulli and a couple of others have done, I might change my mind about him - those drivers that work to either put something back into the sport or to share/spread their money and experience with others.

But for now, he's a self centered little knob........ with huge driving skills :-P

Good post and agree 100%. He is a fantastic driver, I place him behind alonso though IMO. But he is the second best driver but its becoming under threat from ricciardo. So based on expereince, he is a better driver than ricciardo but on outright pace, iam not so sure now. I used to see it like this at the start of the season.

Alonso

Hamilton

Vettel

Rosberg

Now I see it like this

Alonso

Hamilton/ricciardo

Vettel

Rosberg

Hard to say but I certainly think lewis is mega behind the wheel but to fragile in his own mind and it affects his driving. I do t really like him much as a person either, but he is a darn good driver.

Good list, but IMO and not because iam an Aussie but I Beleive ricciardo is better than Bottas. But Bottas has certainly stepped it up in terms of his own performance and would be a highly sort after driver now.

Yep. Pretty much even I would say in terms of Potentials.

I do like them both for their modesty. At least they are now.

Bottas has suprised just like daniel has IMO. Iam honestly suprised due to his performances this year, that he hasn't won a race yet. Yeah the mercs are dominating but ricciardo has won races and I believe Bottas can to. Just hasn't been there to capitalised like ricciardo has. I certainly think on outright ability, Bottas has shown us all he is one of the best.

Alonso

Hamilton

Vettel

Rosberg

Now I see it like this

Alonso

Hamilton/ricciardo

Vettel

Rosberg

IMO I think Rosberg is flattered by a dominant car. He's very good, no doubt, but this year has just proven that he's not on the same level as the big boys eg Hamilton. He can beat Lewis over 1 lap, and that's no mean feat, but in races he can't hold a candle to him.

He does deserve to be high up the list but I reckon Bottas could be better than him. Ricciardo's had an amazing season but for me it's still too early to say he's as good as Lewis, time will tell.

As for the main topic I don't think it'd be right to judge anyone for how they choose to dress or what accessories they wear. I bet most of us do or wear things that aren't everyone else's cup of tea, doesn't mean we should be judged for it!

Same as the tatts. Whats the point? How's his back going to look when his 60 or 70? Horrid. But again it's my opinion. Iam not judging lewis at all, but to be a formula one driver is an honor and I believe should be displayed at all times. That's why all drivers are the way they are, he is trying to make a mark for himself and himself only. If it didnt come of disrespectful to other drivers, don't you think others would "display" themsleves to the public like he does? I think so, but that's why the formal suits are worn, they drive free ferraris, it's because it's an honor to be a formula one driver, not a chance to show everyone who is less fortunate and can only dream of doing what he does, the amount of money you have to spend on crap. Call me jealous maybe, but he talks about how hard it was where his father came from and how hard it was for him and was quite vocal on nicos up bringing aswell to do what he does. He remarks in the past and present come accross as he is asking for beneficial treatment because he is "different". Sorry lewis your crap don't float here. Or maybe it's because your black. Iam saying that with a smile on my face like lewis did.

I think this is all a bit of an OTT reaction to an expensive necklace. I agree that it may attract comment, I disagree that he does so because he wants attention. Kimi has tattoos, Jenson does, my wife does, who cares?

Also I haven't seen anything of him displaying himself to the public, I'm not sure where that comes from. You should read his column on the BBC sport website, he must've said 1000 times this year how grateful he is to have the life he does. Are you saying it's disrespectful to wear expensive items because you're showing the poor how rich you are??

I just find this all ridiculous. Rich people, whether they're sports stars or singers or whatever, will drive around in supercars and wear expensive jewellery, yet for some reason you have a problem with Lewis wearing a big necklace when celebrating a title win with his team.

If Rosberg rocked up to Austin with a new gold watch would you say he's abusing his position as an f1 driver??

Others may have tattoos but you don't see them with there shirt of as one of the first pics on google when you google they guy. Sheesh, seems like he makes an effort to stand out, is all we are saying. When he came into the sport he was a quiet well focused driver, but now he has found his spot and feels comfortable, to me it feels he has now overstepped the mark in terms of what is respectful. Wearing the big glasses and things like that while still in uniform. It's like he has no regard for ethics. You can't buy his fitted Mercedes hat, even from the official f1 site. Reason being is he has it custom made because he thinks the one Rosberg and the team supply will cramp his style, what a douche.

You have absolutely no evidence to say that Lewis thinks the same cap as Rosberg will cramp his style! I also fail to see in any way how he's overstepped the mark, I'm starting to wonder whether you're just winding me up cos this is all total poop!

You're acting like Lewis is the only person in F1 who does, or has done, things like this, there have been several before him, not that there's anything remotely wrong with wearing bling, growing/cutting your hair (Magnussen), wearing baggy overals (Villeneuve), changing your facial hair every week (Alonso), surrounding yourself with girls (Hunt).

Admittedly I've never googled Lewis, I will do so I can try and see what you mean, but I'm baffled by all this over a bl00dy necklace and supposedly taking his top off, something I've never seen.

Swearing, or being offensive, that kind of thing, fair enough. But it seems like you're condemning the guy for showing a little personality, something we as fans should be desperately craving.

p.s. just googled 'lewis hamilton' in images and had to skip 5 pages before finding a topless pic, which appears to be for a photoshoot a year and a half ago.

Man I hardly disagree with you on anything but this is out of control, nothing would have been said if he didnt mention it or show it to someone to make a story about it. That's what iam getting at and if I must I will dig through to find the story where lewis refused to wear the team Mercedes hat as he didnt like it. Ohh here it is

http://www.grandprix247.com/2013/08/25/hamilton-refusing-to-wear-team-cap-and-wants-to-design-his-own/

At the end of the day Jem, I think he is a total goof ball but he is one good driver. I remember in the 1988 NBA slam dunk comp. Michael Jordan come out in his full game uniform to participate in the contest but wearing a gold chain. Made him look like a sellout. One and only time I saw him wear it so he must have felt the comments people made as it was a hot topic with the commentators. Especially at that time as he was the first to be endorsed the way he was. IMO,lewis comes across like he loves himself, there I said it. 200_s.gif

I didnt know about the cap story, fair enough.

Re this necklace though, correct me if I'm wrong but he didnt try and make a big deal out of it or tell everyone, he just put it on with his celebratory team shirt after the race, which is why I dont get why it's a cry for attention. Today's drivers are corporate robots and we should be happy when any of them show us some personality, is what I think.

You say he's always got his shirt off to show off or whatever but there doesnt seem to be much basis for that. I suppose I see a lot more of his comments re remembering where he came from and being grateful for his life etc as I read his column and follow him on facebook, so I can see that he's not this arrogant douche who flashes his cash everywhere; plus all the stuff he does for various charities.

When a guy wanders around with a kilo of gold around his neck, he will attract comment, Jem. That is why he does it.

I wanna see Lewis wears his gold necklace and walk around in the streets of Brazil byebye.gifbyebye.gifbyebye.gifbyebye.gif

Others may have tattoos but you don't see them with there shirt of as one of the first pics on google when you google they guy. Sheesh, seems like he makes an effort to stand out, is all we are saying. When he came into the sport he was a quiet well focused driver, but now he has found his spot and feels comfortable, to me it feels he has now overstepped the mark in terms of what is respectful. Wearing the big glasses and things like that while still in uniform. It's like he has no regard for ethics. You can't buy his fitted Mercedes hat, even from the official f1 site. Reason being is he has it custom made because he thinks the one Rosberg and the team supply will cramp his style, what a douche.

It's actually 62 pictures before there is a topless one of Lewis and even then it's side on, showing the tattoo on his arm. Fernando Alonso - 64 pictures, posing on a yacht with some gorgeous bikini clad girl. He probably bought the yacht just to rub our noses in it, ungrateful F1 driver that he is. Mark Webber - 27 pictures and that's not even to show a tattoo. Man he really is one attention grabbing show off. So google conclusively shows that Webber is the worst of the whole lot of them and he is not even in F1 anymore! :whistling:

By the way, that's if you ignore the headings on the top of google's image search for the recommended suggestions, like tattoo, for example, if not, then Alonso is exactly the same as Lewis, as in the 4th picture in.

I say it in jest, but the point is, you will interpret stuff like that the way you want to and people see things differently, at the end of the day.

Pabloh - that's right, I don't care about the hype over drivers and who likes who because at the end of the day it's my decision based in what I see and how it comes accross. If certain drivers arnt like the pictures show, if it was me, I'd be doing what I can to "clear" my name and proove people wrong.

Jem - fair enough about lewis and his chain but I want to know is why? Why wear something like that, that is made for a certain occassion in your normal day to day doings and think its normal and not get a reaction out of it. It won't work, why wear it at all? It's to make him look and feel better, simple as that, that's the point iam making, why wear it when your going to put your race suit on anyway. He wouldn't wear it in the car. So he puts it on for photos of when he wants to get seen. That is the whole argent right there.