Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Austin Qualifying

So far they got rid of a practice session and the Sunday morning warmup, along with in season testing. Why even have the race? Just draw new out of a hat and do the championship that way. Least they could finally save some money and not just line bernies pockets.

Vettel wants an entirely new PU, meaning a pit lane start. The FIA have told RBR they can uses some of the unexpired components along with a new ICE. That would mean he can qualify and take a grid penalty.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/10/lots-for-teams-to-consider-ahead-of-us-grand-prix-will-vettel-do-qualifying-after-all/

I think he knew that already Andy but I think he thinks its pointless, on the type of circuit that it is, even if he got pole he would start tenth so he is on the back foot already. That Renault engine has been the Achilles heal for Redbull in recent years.

Just can't understand why they didnt switch to merc power when they could, just boggles my mind. Can't beat em, join em, worked wonders for Benetton in 95 when the Renault engine was the one to beat and Williams thought they had an exclusive supply. Could you imagine that Andy? If they got the merc engines and there aero superiority, we would have an Aussie world champ this year.

Yeah sounds like it. I keep seeing headlines stating "vettel may sit out qualifying". But that could be interpreted either way I guess. Weather he chooses to or not or allowed to or not.

Iam sure they would have if they threw enough dollars around. You can do anything with money in that sport, just look at Ferrari, 3 world champs and two cars. Maybe they might run a Ferrari two seater, with seb and fernando in the one car lol. Then it would be even more funny when seb blames his team mate.

I think this " Sitout" by vettel is a way of showing up how stupid the rule on engine useage this year. Like who in their right mind would change the rules so dramatically and then enforce this useage rule !!! Answer ONLY F1 . They seem to think out a lot of the problems but never seem to get all of them sorted out except " On the Run" like the safety car rules etc etc.

And of course if you were in Seb's shoes would you be concerned ? Like he isn't competing for the championship, and hell he won't be with this team next year, so just go along for the ride, it isn't Seb that is depleting the qualy field it's the stupid bloody rules.....

I agree, it is a protest to show the FIA/FOM how dumb it is.

I doubt Mercedes would have supplied RBR. The only way MGP were going to beat RBR this year was by means of a superior engine.

It's not just the engine Andy. It's the merc gearbox that gives them the most advantage. So much so, all the other teams are trying to mimic the idea for next season, the power plant was just a bonus.

I assume you are talking about cartridge gearbox used by MGP and FI. Other teams are indeed copying it, but that is normal practice in F1.

The gearbox is considered superior because it is narrow, allowing for tighter bodywork at the rear, aiding aero efficiency. The RB10 clearly has better aero than the W05, which says the advantage the W05 has is related to power and power down.

I do not think the extra power is a bonus, the Mercedes powered cars are clearly much faster in a straight line and have excellent power down. which is why those cars dominate so often, not just the ones using the cartridge gearbox.

The main advantage which MGP gained is the split turbo, allowing reduced heat sink, a denser incoming air charge and hence more power. I also thnk that the hybrid systems are more manageable than some, notably Ferrari.

Yeah the mercs have always had better top end but I don't think people were expecting them to still be the dominant engine in this new engine formula, well I know I certainly didnt. I expected Renault to be ahead.

Rosberg on pole by 4 tenths.

Qualifying 10-7 to Rosberg in 2014, the first time Hamilton has been out qualified by his team-mate over the whole season. Two races left, the season goes to Rosberg.

Hats off to the lad, he was expected to be trounced, particularly over a single lap.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/01/austin-qualifying-rosberg-stumps-hamilton/

I tried to stay awake to watch it but fell asleep and I was quite suprised to wake up and see nico on pole by so much, how good is Bottas hey? Where's felipe? I thought he said is is faster than Bottas.

He is dreaming.

Rosberg was totally on it, hooked up, smooth and clean.

Hamilton had a whinge about the brakes. Actually, lots of whinges.

He looked as miserable as a wet weekend in Brighton at the press conference. I thought it was churlish of him not to congratulate Rosberg. Contrast that with Bottas, genuine, decent young man.

Race at 6AM QLD time, bring it on.

He is dreaming.

Rosberg was totally on it, hooked up, smooth and clean.

Hamilton had a whinge about the brakes. Actually, lots of whinges.

He looked as miserable as a wet weekend in Brighton at the press conference. I thought it was churlish of him not to congratulate Rosberg. Contrast that with Bottas, genuine, decent young man.

True but in fairness neither of them have been congratulating each other for the past 4 or 5 races.

Then Nico decided to start having a strop in the pre-podium room knowing there was a camera watching it all.

Bottas seems a lovely dude but throw him in an intense title fight and who knows what animal might come out!

Nico gets filthy doesn't he. I thought lewis and seb were bad. His body language is so disgusting he is like he is about to cry. The first have of the year, made nico look so solid and couldn't loose his mind. But now at certain times and events, he looks like a spoilt little boy.

Long may it continue, I want to see the 2 protagonists showing emotion as much as possible, all adds to the drama!

Just shows, what can break them hey? Nico seems alot like webber in the sense he holds grudges. The other thing to, I think Rosberg knows deep down that this might be his one and only chance, where as lewis, if he keeps his head together, can always challenge for a title.

Yea Nico probably knows this is the best shot he'll ever have.

I am just praying that this title, which has given us such entertainment all year, is not decided on the double-points gimmick. It's sad to say but I think even Nico would be on the receiving end of some major backlash from the fans if that were to happen.

The mercs have been bulletproof since Nico's bizarre steering wheel malfunction, let's hope it stays that way for just 2 more races!

Can't wait for next season, if Redbull build a decent car, ricciardo has to be a favourite for the title surly.