Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Austin Qualifying

If Red Bull look quick in pre-season testing then yea I would say he's one of the favourites, but given that 2015 cars will likely be an evolution of 2014, you'd have to say he'd still be the clear 3rd favourite behind Lewis and Nico IMO.

True but in fairness neither of them have been congratulating each other for the past 4 or 5 races.

Then Nico decided to start having a strop in the pre-podium room knowing there was a camera watching it all.

Bottas seems a lovely dude but throw him in an intense title fight and who knows what animal might come out!

I was on holiday so missed most of the coverage and the race. What did Nico do?

Just gutted lewis beat him fair and square and was nothing he could do about it. Just his body language was pretty horrendous after the race. It would have been a blow for nico to have Hamilton pass him on the circuit instead of the pitstops as that could have lost him the championship right then and there and he could do nothing about it.

I think he was letting off vibes like a child does when he doesn't get his way. I think he wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't "crunch" time towards the end of the season. But there wasn't any variables that played a part in lewis beating him, it was done on pure skill, lewis was just faster and knew when to take the advantage, nico played it to safe. But in saying that lewis did come from a long way back to pass him so maybe he simply was caught of guard and by that time it was to late to defend or do anything.

But the other day you seemed to be condemning Lewis for doing the same thing in the press conference?

I only saw snippets of post-race but it seemed like Nico was berating the team rep in the pre-podium room whilst there was a camera on them both

The thing I don't get is the ers system is not like kers, it's not manually operated, so I don't know what nico is getting at, if anything it would be a glitch or some sort of temporary failure. Because the ers runs all the time. I think he didnt want to admit defeat so easily. I mean lets face it, lewis drove brilliantly and nico simply had no answer for it, played it to safe IMO.

He said that he figured out how to drive the circuit quickly about 10 laps after getting overtaken, by which point it was apparently too late. I don't personally buy that, especially as the same thing has happened for 5 races now (ie Lewis having better race pace).

He just got beaten, simple as that.

I dunno about ERS, I was under the impression it can be regulated, used when needed, because it is limited to a set amount of energy per lap.

Iam sure it's on all the time to cover the hp loss between the turbo engines and NA from last year.

I looked it up, 4 MJ per lap are allowed to be harvested and deployed. That is equivalent to 60 kW for 6.67 seconds per lap. The energy could be used on a different strategy, 120 kW for 3.33 seconds or 30 kW for 13.34 seconds.

If it were to be on continuously, say over a 1min 35s lap, it would provide 4.2kW over the lap. That could never happen, of course, as it is used only during acc, the harvesting taking place under brakes. Assuming it is half acc and half dec, that would be 8.2 kW.

From the sound of it, he saw Hamilton coming, hit the ERS and did not get it. I think he had the button replaced by a switch, but basically he c#cked up.

Personally, I think it is irrelevant, Hamilton was going to get him at some stage.

Why can't the ers button be used in formula one 2014 game? Seeing its trying to be realistic as possible to the sport itself, all other previous titles, 2010,11,12 and 13 you could manually use the kers button but in 2014 with the introduction of ers it's not manual and is running the while time during gameplay,hence why I said what I did. Iam pretty sure I've heard elsewhere that it does run at all times, just the flow rate I think can be adjusted, that's it, but like you said, Hamilton would have got him anyway.

I think this is it here Andy - explains it use and why it's on at all times.

http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/how-f1s-energy-recovery-system-ers-will-work-in-2014/

I could have interpreted it wrong iam not sure.

That is how that guy believes it should work, as opposed to how it does work.

In practice, the MGU-K is only allowed to harvest 2 MJ of energy per lap but it can deploy 4 MJ, hence if it ran ERS deployment full time the energy store would be empty straight away.

This explains it, Renault calls it power scheduling, ERS usage is built into the software in quite a complex manner. The power usage is dependent upon demand (throttle position), but also energy availability in the energy store. If there is sufficient energy available, the software will allow the full 120 kW to be deployed. If not, it will allow what it can, which may be zero.

I have no idea why Rosberg wold not have ERS available when Hamilton passed him, you would think they would have similar amounts in the energy sotre, unless Hamilton had been conserving, which we know he can do regarding the combustion engine.

http://www.renaultsport.com/IMG/pdf/rsf1-moteur2014-presskit-en_final2.pdf

Section 8.

Couldn't load the link. But it's not like kers where it is an actual button to push is it? It still requires harvesting to be used. Wheather it's acceleration or braking. It's just throttle controlled instead of a button, is that correct.

It is, but the software controlling it is complex. There is a certain amount of energy in the store and the system decides how best to apply it, based presumably on sensors gathering data lap by lap. I can imagine a button which over-rides all that for emergency use and that may be what Rosberg meant.

Yeah that sounds more like it as I haven't seen any driver use a button like we clearly saw in the past.