Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Mclaren Make An Offer To Alonso

A few good F1 drivers tried DTM (frentzen, DC, Hakkinen, Ralf) with not much success. Button's been in single seaters since he was about 2 foot high so I wouldn't have huge expectations although it'd definitely get me a lot more interested in WEC!

It seems like there is two types of race drivers. Drivers who drive open wheelers, can't really drive tin tops. Same as tin top drivers arnt to flash in open wheelers. Wonder why that is. One extreme to another I guess.

I think Di Resta managed the switch pretty well (from dtm to f1) even if he didnt set the world alight. Brundle was very handy in the sportscars, and Herbert. Would've been interesting to see someone like Loeb, Tom Kristensen, Alain Menu, Andy Priaulx etc try out an f1 car

Yeah I guess that's true, but they were "there abouts" wernt they? Not like front running drivers. Although I always thought di resta could've been affront running driver given the chance. Forgot all about him when I posted the previous comment.

Di resta's the only I can think of...generally teams will look to up and coming talent from single-seater categories, for obvious reasons! I would imagine Di Resta had some kind of single seater background before DTM.

I suppose it's different skills and demands. Roger Federer may not be great at table tennis but probably would be fairly good after a bit of practice.

I half expect the mclaren livery will change for 2015. Here's a pic from the 'thisisf1' website, although it is no doubt merely a design from the website itself, not from mclaren.

post-498-0-27299600-1415887246_thumb.jpg

Yuk, to crowded. I expect them to change but that design is horrid.

Something like this would be perfect. Minus the Telmex logo of course. Reminds us of the old days but modernised.

1380629_536212173135623_1685907284_n.jpg

That looks far too much like a BAR!

And given that BAR are now Mercedes I don't think they'd be able to go with similar colours.

No way, If anything a super Aguri which were Honda. It has some bar colors but more of a Aguri IMO. Anyway, they have to go back to the red and white wouldn't they? Be wrong if they keep the chrome/silver, which reminds us of the Mercedes.

Ohh yeah, would get more people watching I rekon, reminiscing of the good ol days.

Is there any info on how it went? In comparison to this years merc engine?

They couldn't run it at race speed, but it went without any bigger problems! Car stopped once but they started it in a moment again, so it was much better than renault engine!

Didnt know Mclaren ran Renault engines lol. Why run it if they didnt run at race speed, whats the point? I know there gathering data but still, pointless IMO.

Well, they could compare cooling requirements of the engine before two day test in Abu Dhabi, etc! Every mile is useful!

They have said that one of the things they were testing was data communication between the circuit and Woking and the circuit and Japan. I do not believe that, the car does not need to be at a track to test the links.

I can find nothing on the net to suggest that they ran the car at sub race speed, but the fact that it ran 100km without fault is good news.

Interesting that there was talk of Honda being months behind on PU development. I think not....

They have said that one of the things they were testing was data communication between the circuit and Woking and the circuit and Japan. I do not believe that, the car does not need to be at a track to test the links.

I can find nothing on the net to suggest that they ran the car at sub race speed, but the fact that it ran 100km without fault is good news.

Interesting that there was talk of Honda being months behind on PU development. I think not....

I've read that at filming day you can't run at race speed!

Same as when merc was testing this year to find a solution to the sound. Yeah right, the just cut a cone out, sprayed it silver and nabbed a free test session. Funny stuff the lengths they go to.

I think there's a rule on the tyres you can bring, so that you can't get any decent data from the 'filming day' running which all teams are allowed to do 60km of. So at a guess they'd be grooved or scrubbed or something, I'm not sure.