Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Mclaren Make An Offer To Alonso

Just not the GP tyres, a non spec tyre.

There was a furore about Ferrari testing a double diffuser and Mercedes testing an engine cover in 2010.

After that, the teams came to an agreement that PE days (limited to promotional and marketing) would not include any new parts not used that season.

Fair enough, except that the Honda PU is probably defined as a new component.....

Makes me think its nt Mclaren's decision the more it is delayed. I Beleive that part of the Honda deal means they have choice on who drives thise cars. Either that or for some miracle reason they are waiting on what lewis does.

I understand that McLaren have improved their offer to Nando - he actually will have a car to drive in Australia but it may not startdam.gif Jenson is now the hot favourite to join him as he's used to driving misconceived, under performing crap made in Woking.loljump.gif

Hope so, disgusting how Mclaren have handled it. If he was a rookie them maybe fair enough but his credibility demands more respect IMO.

Another thing that angers me, even though JB himself has said it doesn't bother him, is that if Abu Dhabi was his last race then he hasn't been given the chance of a proper 'farewell' - to the fans, the rest of the F1 circus, his own team members. He'll just drop out of the sport quietly with no fanfare whatsoever.

That for a guy who's the 3rd most experienced in f1 history, a world champion, and arguably one of the best ambassadors for the sport F1 has ever had, is ridiculous. Basically, if he's not retained I'm going to be pi$$ed!

I agree with everything you said, but still remains question how come Button didn't find new seat in formula one?

With his reputation he would still easily found seat! Maybe he wants only Mclaren?

Maybe he knows how good the new Honda engine will be, that's why alonso is on his way there I mean lets face it. He always said he would retire at Ferrari so something good would have had to coax him out of there. Just a thought. Me personally, I would like to see him back at Williams with the form they had this season, has me wondering just how much of a better job he would have done than Massa, but in saying that, Massa came home quite strong towards the end of the season once he realised that its not always someone else's fault.

Brawn was Honda and before that bar, he was there for years, he didnt even know if he would have a seat in 2009 until Ross Brawn brought the Honda cars and personel, he just needed to find an engine and it just so happened that the Mercedes engine worked like a dream with the brawn/Honda chassis. But it is a similar situation in the sense he doesn't know what he is doing,very sad if they just let him go, he has kept that team afloat, yeah Magnussen gave him a run in qualify though out the season but its Sunday that counts. No points for qualify. Even Alonso wants button as a teammate, would make his development a whole lot easier and can just get on with driving, I can't understand why Mclaren wouldn't do that. It's only going to benefit them in the long run and bring those sought after results much sooner. In saying that though I can only feel Magnussen, given the chance could blossom into a very good driver, much better than his farther ever was. Maybe that's what Mclaren is doing, building a star for the future. But I can't think Magnussen's feed back would be half as good as buttons. Jenson is like a fine wine, only gets better with age and I see very similar traits to alonso now, in the fact he gives it his all though out the whole race weekend, driving qualifying laps for the whole race alonso style because that's what he has had to do, just to get in the top 5.

The fact is that McLaren is a bad option for top drivers. Consider that for a moment. It's a dive.

McLaren has done a reasonably good marketing job trying to promote themselves out of the whole they dug... for themselves. Sure, the English press has gone along... but with their now (and sadly) thunderous duplicity. But the team is in deep trouble and, here in Japan, Honda's move is viewed with natural caution and reasonable skepticism.

It is all noise and hype. And, based on what's on the record, a bad deal for everyone involved.

I disagree, I Beleive the Honda engine will be more than up to challenging the Mercedes, IF the reliability issues are sorted out and that's the main key IMO. Maybe even Renault to if they can get there so called twin turbo engine passed.

Now, now.

It's fine to believe, hope, whatever.

But the facts, as they are, tell a different story.

Sure, it is possible that Honda will be able to do amazing things. Perhaps. They can also suck. Who can say? They could be sht tomorrow and unbeatable 10 years from now.

Moreover, even if they succeed and they succeed right away, whose engine was McLaren running until yesterday? Honda can do brutally well and McLaren, as shown on the record, can continue fvcking up royally.

McLaren, right now, based on their performance the last few years, is a losing proposition. Add to that the reason that got them in this mess to begin with and the team goes from pariah to leper. The bottom line, if you can avoid them, you steer clear, way, way clear.

The team ended up like this when Dennis left and whitmarsh took over, takes more than a day to clear up the mess that clown made. I don't like Dennis either but it can't be denied that the run of succes in the past was down to the management of Dennis and I Beleive getting Honda is the first step in the repairment stage.

Whitmarsh was just fall guy... one of many. RD's spin of blame while owning up to none is the fundamental reason for the train wreck that McLaren is today. Just go back and read the public statements of the big players once RD's deception could no longer be sustained. It's all on the record.

Like I said some time back. RD has qualities. There are simply not redeeming qualities, in any manner whatsoever. This is his mess.

His past achievements cannot be denied, of course, as is his success as a businessman. However, his more recent and present catastrophic failures cannot be denied either.

But please don't misunderstand. I too want strong on teams on the grid next season, including McLaren. It is just not there now. If similar claims were made about for example Ferrari, I would be skeptical too, less so than in McLaren's case naturally, but skeptical nonetheless.

Whitmarsh was just fall guy... one of many. RD's spin of blame while owning up to none is the fundamental reason for the train wreck that McLaren is today. Just go back and read the public statements of the big players once RD's deception could no longer be sustained. It's all on the record.

Like I said some time back. RD has qualities. There are simply not redeeming qualities, in any manner whatsoever. This is his mess.

His past achievements cannot be denied, of course, as is his success as a businessman. However, his more recent and present catastrophic failures cannot be denied either.

But please don't misunderstand. I too want strong on teams on the grid next season, including McLaren. It is just not there now. If similar claims were made about for example Ferrari, I would be skeptical too, less so than in McLaren's case naturally, but skeptical nonetheless.

Yeah you make a fair point.

And as Maure pointed out, something I'm keeping in mind, which is that the Honda engine is just one part of the equation. Even if it's power matches mercedes, the aero guys at mclaren have got it horribly wrong for the last 2 years so what's to say they're suddenly going to design a gem?

They've recruited Pete Pedrolomou or whatever his name is from RBR, who's already given them a RBR front wing, but I'd imagine it'd take more than just him. I'm still on the fence as to whether I actually want mclaren to succeed or fail miserably, depending on their decision next week!

Yeah your right there. How many times have we seen cars that have the power but throw it all away because the aero is designed of a paper aeroplane.

I agree with everything you said, but still remains question how come Button didn't find new seat in formula one?

With his reputation he would still easily found seat! Maybe he wants only Mclaren?

What seats were available? He only wants a winning car and so he should. No seat at Mercedes, Williams or RBR. So, there you have it.

That's right, he said time and time again, he will only remain in f1 if he can have a winning car, he also said even if Mclaren make him an offer he still might turn them down. I guess that depends on how far they have come in terms of making that winning car.

Although I'm naturally desperate for JB to stay in F1, it would be absolutely hilarious if they decided after all these months to retain him, for him to then say "hmmm, no thanks"

Well tbh I think he would need a pretty attractive offer from the WEC. If he gets something like Webber did, he will be gone IMO.

I'd rather him to go America, he could become high profile over there. I love motosport but even I was barely aware of WEC before Webber went there

I'd rather him to go America, he could become high profile over there. I love motosport but even I was barely aware of WEC before Webber went there

Scrap that all together. What ever happened to giving Aussies v8s a go jense? You said you would. That would be awesome to see him team up with webber at Bathurst.

I think that Button enjoys his position in Mclaren! It is British team ,so he has a specific status in public! Being nice guy as he is, newspapers don't write badly about him! And we all know how influential British press is! And now cooperation with Honda, and he already has great reputation in Japan!

It would be ideal position for British WDC!

He is feeling very comfortable here, a bit spoiled, but who can blame him!