Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Mclaren Make An Offer To Alonso

Thats what I said earlier, his ties with Japan, it's a match made in heaven, it a no brainer to sign him IMO.

Although I'm naturally desperate for JB to stay in F1, it would be absolutely hilarious if they decided after all these months to retain him, for him to then say "hmmm, no thanks"

I hope he does.

Can't believe the latest BS from Boulier saying that, in effect JB's points tally and qualifying record is meaningless when it comes to their decision. wtf.gif So what other measure are they using to assess the drivers? the size of their pecs? :)

Uh huh. So Mr B, in 2015 you're happy to benefit from all the lovely prize money he has brought in, but don't want to acknowledge it....

I hope JB sticks two fingers up at them and finds himself a cushy drive somewhere else. Or retires to a desert island with his girly. milk_carton.gif

I hope he does.

Can't believe the latest BS from Boulier saying that, in effect JB's points tally and qualifying record is meaningless when it comes to their decision. wtf.gif So what other measure are they using to assess the drivers? the size of their pecs? :)

Uh huh. So Mr B, in 2015 you're happy to benefit from all the lovely prize money he has brought in, but don't want to acknowledge it....

I hope JB sticks two fingers up at them and finds himself a cushy drive somewhere else. Or retires to a desert island with his girly. milk_carton.gif

He knows what he is doing but, he did sign Maldonado at lotus. Lol

That's right, he said time and time again, he will only remain in f1 if he can have a winning car, he also said even if Mclaren make him an offer he still might turn them down. I guess that depends on how far they have come in terms of making that winning car.

To be brutally honest, if I were JB I would move on. This is not the pinnacle of motor sport anymore. As Webs says, it's more like over-priced GP2. It certainly isn't what Jens signed up for at all. Bernie has destroyed what was the envy of the racing World in the 15 years Button has been in it. It is now a pathetic slave to his bank account. The teams men who gave it credibility, zing, zest and ethos have gone - Senna, Mansell, Schumacher, Brawn, Byrne, Luca, Kubica, BMW, Toyota, Flavio, Montoya, Hakkinen and so many more. They have kicked the soul out of Newey and tied his hands. You have nothing more to prove Jens, certainly not to me or people like fatty Boullier who couldn't tell a quick driver from a slow snail. Go man, and do your thing where you will be lauded and loved.

To be brutally honest, if I were JB I would move on. This is not the pinnacle of motor sport anymore. As Webs says, it's more like over-priced GP2. It certainly isn't what Jens signed up for at all. Bernie has destroyed what was the envy of the racing World in the 15 years Button has been in it. It is now a pathetic slave to his bank account. The teams men who gave it credibility, zing, zest and ethos have gone - Senna, Mansell, Schumacher, Brawn, Byrne, Luca, Kubica, BMW, Toyota, Flavio, Montoya, Hakkinen and so many more. They have kicked the soul out of Newey and tied his hands. You have nothing more to prove Jens, certainly not to me or people like fatty Boullier who could tell a quick driver from a slow snail. Go man, and do your thing where you will be lauded and loved.

Yep well said, agree 100%

To younger fans this is still pinnacle of motorsport. They all dream to be F1 drivers, but to us too many changes have happen. Maybe this is the evolution as it should be. Just look how cars have changed through the late 60's to 70's and in 80's. Not to mention later. Maybe we are the problem, with not accepting changes,

That's 100% correct. How many times we bitch and moan about the regular changes? 5 races in and we forget about them. Just hard to let go I guess. Like now, I don't really car how the cars sound, gotten used to it but the racing has improoved. But you still get goosebumps when you watch a clip if the NA engines.

I still hate the v6 hybrids and the (lack of) sound they make. I know the furore has died down and the rules aren't going to change, but it still saddens me.

Even Webber said the other day that it's "embarrassing" when an F1 car leaves the pits. I've accepted it won't change though.

For all of us the era we remember most fondly will be the one which existed when we first started watching the sport, because that's what we fell in love with, whether that's the 80's, 90's or whatever, and any change to that will usually feel like a bad thing.

These engines are very powerful , just the problem is that minimum weight of the car has increased! They will get even more powerful later! With less car weight and better tyres these cars could produce lap times of best Formula one years! But the main problem is sound! They have to resolve that problem as soon as possible!

They would have to lift the engine freeze for that to occur.

Maybe in next few years that will happen, or maybe FIA could decide to allow more fuel to be burned so RPM's could go to the limit of 15000 and sound would get better!

We should get an announcement either later today (when you aussies will be fast asleep lol) or tomorrow morning. Hold onto your butts the wait is finally over.

My poor wife is going to have to deal with me being in a terrible mood all weekend!

See the realistic way I look at it. Ok, if Magnussen wasn't performing, then he would be gone, but why would Mclaren distroy a young kids career when he is performing just so a 30 odd year old can do one or maybe two more seasons? They wouldn't and that's how I think it will play out, bye bye Jenson. Thanks for all the memories.

See the realistic way I look at it. Ok, if Magnussen wasn't performing, then he would be gone, but why would Mclaren distroy a young kids career when he is performing just so a 30 odd year old can do one or maybe two more seasons? They wouldn't and that's how I think it will play out, bye bye Jenson. Thanks for all the memories.

Suppose it depends how you define performing - Jenson scored twice as many points as Kevin, and in 2015 you can bet your hat that Jenson would bring more points to the team again.

Not only that, but in this new Honda era they need all the driver expertise they can get, and with 2 veterans you have that experience in buckets, and that will be invaluable. Then there's the marketing side, everyone will be talking about Alonso v Button in the same way we did Alonso v Kimi this time last year.

Basically if it's points and WCC they want, Jenson is the obvious choice. But Kevin's a lot cheaper and could be kept for the long-term, so there's strong arguments both sides. I'm just annoyed that it's friday morning and WE'RE STILL BL00DY WAITING!!

A team spokesman has said this afternoon (UK time) that no announcements will be made "until next week at the earliest"

I have expressed my opinion many times that the driver fiasco all boils down to Dennis v the majority shareholders at McLaren. He has not produced the top line sponsor he was tasked with and to be honest he may be out. Who knows? Certainly not Jenson.