Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Bernie Wants To Change Engine Rules

To be honest I support what Bernie wants to do.

To me Formula 1 should be about extending the design charactics of the modern race car and it's power plant.

I feel that all that is needed for the rules with regards to the power unit is that it must consume X amount of unleaded fuel, like the stuff that you and I use in our road cars 95 ron unleaded fuel, and that the race distance is as it is now OR a 2 (two) hour race at every circuit and for the power unit to last 5 races which would include qualifying, but not practise.

To me it would be very interesting to see what the engineers would come up with for a power unit , be it 10 cyls/4 cyls/turbo/supercharged/electric/ whatever, the solutions would be limitless, even maybe turbine, like who cares the one limiting factor would be the FUEL CELL limit of say 60 litres !!!

What is your opinion?

He has lost money, that's the only reason why. It's because so many people have turned away from the sport and its costing him. That's all it is, he doesn't care about anyone but himself.

We've talked about this for years.

The fact is that F1 is no longer about the motorracing fans, or the engineering, or the racing. It has not been about these things since arguably the early 90s. Today it is about the viewers. And fighting for viewer attention is outside the DNA of any sporting competition. Consider what Ecclestone would do with the Olympic Games, for instance. It's a clusterfvck of epic proportions.

I stopped caring for the championship after it became a political game in 07-08. I still watched races but eventually had to stop too when, off the top of my head, Webber's race (and championship options) were torpedoed to use him as bait and Whiting looked the other way (as told), or when, to just name one other example from a thousand, we heard "Rosberg is faster than you... but he's been ordered to stay behind you and not one soul will ever complain or remember. Just look contrite at the camera from the podium".

I only returned this season for two reasons. First, to see Kimi give it to Alonso. Second, to see the driver that has broken the most records in the history of F1 demonstrate his skill with a second best car. I don't need to say how that's turned out. My hopes were utterly crushed. It's the stuff of clinical depression. It even achieved the impossible. The tragedy of the outcome was so profound that even the most vociferous haters have finally shut the fvck up in shock.

My friends in the business go on chatting up the "issues" while we dine but I find it difficult to bother paying much attention. It's the script of a soap opera, not the concerns of a sport. How RD is now blaming Hamilton for 2007, how Wolff had to answer allegations of conspiracy every time Hamilton did not come on top and what a PR disaster they avoided by giving Hamilton a missile and Rosberg a lemon in Abu Dhabi, etc, etc, etc.

So now Alonso is in McLaren, a team only desired by drivers that have no other option in F1. Since I heard claim that McLaren had pursued Alonso for at least an entire year, the timeframe can only mean that he had plenty of time to evaluate what Ferrari can do in the near future. Considering he's landed in a sewer of a team, imagine the answer to that evaluation with the kind of knowledge he has access to. It reminds me of a friend's comment when RBR failed to support Ricciardo this season... "the proof that RBR has become one of the top teams in F1 is that they think it is OK to lose".

Speaking of which, there is nothing to look forward for next season except Ricciardo. I wish him well, but it is not enough. If the preseason does not throw up something interesting, I'm out. Little lost, of course. I'm not a viewer.

EDIT: Gremlins.

Mclaren are one if the best teams on the grid now. A works engine soley for them and the best lineup in the sport. I don't think they'll be that far behind like this season. I can think of a few seasons where they did worse than this year and those haven't been mentioned or do I have to mention them? If that's how you see it. The whole sport has always been rigged mate and your only catching on now? The most popular always win or the one they can market the best always wins. There's to much money involved its the same with every sport. Just look at the Chicago bulls and when Michael Jordan was there. There has never been a more marketable athlete than him and never will be. Just look at all the shoes and clothes he makes. He is still one of the top ten highest paid sportsman in the world and hasn't played basketball for over 10 years. Does that say enough?

I hope you are right about McLaren's future. The record shows a team in freefall.

The "rigging" might be the new normal in some sports but it is neither acceptable nor necessary... nor sine qua non of what ultimately is a natural evolution of voluntary demonstrations of pure skill. Rigging is, in fact, against the very spirit of sporting (and artistic, btw) performance. You can't have one and the other. There are many examples of this inability to coexist throughout history (e.g., theater and brothels).

Wish you well, my friend.

It might take Honda a while to get running but they have always had good engines in the past with good top end. No matter what the formula is, we have seen the same prevail. Mercedes has always and still does have the best top end, Renault still lack the top end speed, so in that aspect it doesn't really change that's why I feel Honda will do just fine and with alonso and button with Magnussen as third driver, a very strong team indeed. But I feel seasons like 94 and 95 seemed worse than this years, or it's just buttons driving that made it that tad better on the outside? Nothing wrong or against Magnussen here tbh, he had a fantastic year but common sense had to prevail here and I think they made the right decision. I Beleive Magnussen got overshadowed with the Kvyat hype. Yes kvyat had an awesome year also and IMO did better to impress than Magnussen, but Magnussen did have a good debut season also.

I like Button and all. More than many others on the paddock, that's for sure, as a driver and as a person. But what's he gonna show that he hasn't already?

If not already proven, I favor new blood. They don't need to be children either. There are plenty of drivers out there.

Anyway, I'm out of here. Supercross starts in just a couple of weeks. Plenty of excellent competition and zero "rigging". Even the hype is tolerable after dealing with F1 this season.

See you in the preseason. You are one of the good guys. Hope you stick around.

V10 engines are so not planet friendly and Renault, Merc and Honda will probably lose the support of their boards. No other manufacturers will come in, that's for sure. Give it up Bernie. Just let them tweak the existing units when they need to if you want real competition.

Go Bernie! Bring back the V10's wahoo! I'll go back to buying grand stand tickets again as I'm sure a lot of other fans will too after being underwhelmed track side in 2014

Yes for me it will be a dream come true. Will be very interesting to see how the voting goes on the 18th and whether Mercedes powered teams and Honda will conspire against the return of V10's

Go Bernie! Bring back the V10's wahoo! I'll go back to buying grand stand tickets again as I'm sure a lot of other fans will too after being underwhelmed track side in 2014

What we want won't sustain F1 in the long term though I would love to se the V10s back.

There's nothing wrong with these engines. It's only the sound. David Coulthard got the chance to drive this years Williams and he was literally blown away. He said the power from these turbo engines are incredible, most powerful Grand Prix car he has ever driven. So in that aspect I think performance isn't an issue. It's the sound that has driven everyone away, but given the chance it showed it produced some awesome racing. That's what people have to do, is just let it be and it will come of its own. I for one would love the sound back but honestly it doesn't bother me. This years racing made up for the lack of sound IMHO.

What D.C. was refering to when he drove the Williams was not the power of the Turbo but the torque of the electrical motor which is instant. SO now all they have to do is allow these v6's to rev up to say 18 thou and then the exhaust noise will come.

That's correct. See Bernie wants to implement more changes so it costs more money and more smaller teams fold and his plan of a only large manufacturer championship comes to light. Remaining teams fill the extra slots with a third car which in turn Bernie doesn't get sued for not reaching the required grid numbers to host a Grand Prix. Genius plan but I can see right through him. But that can be all avoided and minimise costs by doing the very thing you mentioned. Let them drive them on the limit with fuel power available.

If the v6 turbos are gone then so am I it is wrong on so many levels .

1. There is nothing wrong with with the performance of the v6 30% less fuel and very similar performance to the so called all conquering v10 engine

2. Turbo engines with tricky torque have undoubtedly made the racing better this year

3. since when in the history of formula 1 has anyone had to instantly give away there advantage a certain ...red bull and ferrari were allowed to bend to rules for years and know one said boo to them . Since when did red bull give all the other teams there traction control and there various iterations of the blown diffuser like never so why are mercades being bullied into giving all the teams there ers units or loose the v6 engine for good .

As for bernie all he cares about is money if he was that bothered about the sound he would have never had the v8s inthe first place

I agree 100% mate. These engines have no doubt provided some fantastic racing this year. I to wasnt fond of the sound but like I also mentioned, I don't care either anymore. Yeah I still love the screaming v10s or 8s but this is a new era and iam used to it now. There's nothing wrong, just let them run them at the full capacity,not restricted rpm and stupid fuel flow rules. Just let them run them hard and like mentioned many times, the sound will come then. There not revving hard enough to extract a worthy note. That's all it is and all that has to be done if anything, not reverting back to the past. Yeah tbh I would love the loud NA engines to come back but this formula can be exciting and is the future. Just the rpm restrictions are really hurting the cars and sport in terms with the sound.

Having just read Bernie's article again, all I can make out of what he wants is this:-

1. Everyone to run the Mercedes ers system ? WHY... and like what ICU would you use?

2. The Wiliams whatever HYBRED power unit, that is made up of secret stuff ? Has Bernie really lost his marbles ? Open the gates up like that and the cost of development soars..

Just leave it how it is, the price of these units will come down in time, just increase the rev limit and reduce the fuel used per race THEN we will have an environmental power unit that mat eventually see it's way into normal road cars.

It's his plan so small teams have to fold and all that's left are teams like Ferrari,Redbull, Mclaren and only large teams like this will participate and fill the remaining grid slots with a third car.

I guess like all racing we do need the small teams, if not just to make up the grid slots, but for somewhere for some entreprenarial person to loose vast sums of money proping up the team but still paying Bernie his franchise amount of cash for the priveledge of a place to loose money......oh and I gues to some degree a very small place in F1 History !!!!!

Having just read Bernie's article again, all I can make out of what he wants is this:-

1. Everyone to run the Mercedes ers system ? WHY... and like what ICU would you use?

2. The Wiliams whatever HYBRED power unit, that is made up of secret stuff ? Has Bernie really lost his marbles ? Open the gates up like that and the cost of development soars..

Just leave it how it is, the price of these units will come down in time, just increase the rev limit and reduce the fuel used per race THEN we will have an environmental power unit that mat eventually see it's way into normal road cars.

There's Formula E if you want environmental friendly engines. Why should F1 have to be all green & hippy? Never has been & there's only 20 cars of their kind running in the world. Since its inception F1 used to be about raw horsepower, noise, glamour & gladiator drivers. Now the drivers are goodie two shoes corporate marketing athletes driving quiet battery orientated cars on a fuel saving mission. It just isn't F1

There's Formula E if you want environmental friendly engines. Why should F1 have to be all green & hippy? Never has been & there's only 20 cars of their kind running in the world. Since its inception F1 used to be about raw horsepower, noise, glamour & gladiator drivers. Now the drivers are goodie two shoes corporate marketing athletes driving quiet battery orientated cars on a fuel saving mission. It just isn't F1

Yep well said. We have certain drivers who break the rules them go down the racism path when they don't get there way. It's a whole circus literally.