Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

Did Vettel Pull Off A Masterstroke????

Who's checking testing??

ok, I know what u gonna say, it's early days in testing (only 2nd day) but that new Ferrari looks bloody fast!! With all the poison gone at Ferrari and Kimi's invaluable feedback into car development, what they've done with the car is to refine it and strip it off all the caff! Boy oh boy, if this is true...

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]09:12 [/b]It's taken six flying laps, but Vettel finally posts a time slightly slower than his best from day one. It's still a 1m22.6s though, so quicker than anyone else has managed this week.
[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]09:10 [/b]Vettel's latest lap is a 1m22.4s - again quicker than his timesheet-topping effort from day one.
[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]09:09 [/b]While Vettel is setting quick lap after quick lap, Bottas is doing regular passes through the pits on a set of unmarked Pirelli tyres.
[b]09:09 [/b]Gentle drop off for Vettel as he logs a fourth consecutive lap that is quicker than anyone managed yesterday. This one is a 1m22.338s.
[b]09:08 [/b]The third lap of this run for Vettel is still a quick one. It's not quite the high 1m21s pace he set on those first two laps, but it's still a 1m22.1s.
[img]http://cdn.images.autosport.com/live/icons/stopwatch_icon.jpg[/img][img]http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1422868056.jpg[/img][b]09:06 [/b]Vettel goes even quicker on his next lap of this run - shaving a bit more time off with a 1m21.884s.
[img]http://cdn.images.autosport.com/live/icons/stopwatch_icon.jpg[/img][b]09:05 [/b]Vettel sets the fastest time of this test so far - and by some margin too. He's just banged in a 1m21.926s on medium tyres, which is seven tenths quicker than he went yesterday.[/size][/font][/color]

Remember this is on mediums

09:15 Hamilton's lap falls away in the final two sectors, so he crosses the line nearly a full second away from Vettel's best after being up in the short first sector.

Vettel has come in, bringing that eye-catching medium-tyre run to a close after seven flying laps.

stopwatch_icon.jpg

09:13 Hamilton joins Vettel in going quicker than anything we saw yesterday. The world champion is up to second with a 1m22.490s, and he's on course to go even quicker on his next lap.diums

09:27 Hamilton pits, bringing that consistent run to an end.

09:26 Hamilton's pace on the unmarked Pirellis has dropped by one second over 10 laps. He's still going, and Nasr has headed out to join him.

09:20 This Hamilton run has settled into the low 1m23s now, with six flying laps on the board so far.

It's clear Vettel is on a mission here...

09:45 Vettel improves his fastest time to 1m20.984s

09:45 Vettel heads back out - he's out on the medium rubber and looks set to do another 10 laps. Verstappen is the other driver on track, and is on mediums.

Before I get too carried away lol..

09:48 EDD STRAW: "While it's nice for Ferrari fans to see the team up top on the timesheets, it's important to remember that on day two of testing, the laptimes are of limited value. Certainly, it's not a bad thing, but still need to see much more of the various cars to get any clear evidence of where Ferrari is in the competitive order."

Anyone with experience would realise its more about laps than times at this stage. Yeah Vettel did well, but like I said, it's more about the reliability ATM, we won't really know for sure until the last test before Melbourne, so you think Ericsson's time was legit also? He was only 4 tenths behind Vettel. Be intresting with Raikkonen also, as Ferrari are still running push rod suspension and that only was what kimi hated about the 2014 car, he admitted that, it's alonso who likes the pull rod, so the question I want to know, has Vettel got more pull than kimi already? As Iam certain if he had the chance or choice, kimi would not have kept the pull rod, that leaves Vettel who asked for it.

Merc looks to be in the best shape at the moment as nico did over two race distances.

Man that lotus looks beautiful, hope it's better than last years. Marinara is driving today isn't he?

ok, day 2 they are ,cool.

That's what I mean, it's all over the place at this time of year and always is. Pirelli though, rekon laps will be up to 3 secs quicker this year per lap, can't see that happening. Even can't tell the pecking order usually in Melbourne right away, It's usually 3/4 or even 5th race before we can obviously tell how things will pan out.

Anyone with experience would realise its more about laps than times at this stage. Yeah Vettel did well, but like I said, it's more about the reliability ATM, we won't really know for sure until the last test before Melbourne, so you think Ericsson's time was legit also? He was only 4 tenths behind Vettel. Be intresting with Raikkonen also, as Ferrari are still running push rod suspension and that only was what kimi hated about the 2014 car, he admitted that, it's alonso who likes the pull rod, so the question I want to know, has Vettel got more pull than kimi already? As Iam certain if he had the chance or choice, kimi would not have kept the pull rod, that leaves Vettel who asked for it.

First time I read about Kimi hating the pull-rod, thought he only had a problem with the front end, the way the car turned on entry....

Anyway, remember Webric, a fast car is a fast car. I think Vettel has now proven this car means business these last 2 days, testing or not. He did it on mediums whilst the Sauber did it on soft, so there's more time to come, ideally I want Ferrari to be as close to Merc as possible, but early signs are good, in my humble view...

How much fuel was in that Ferrari though, it's only testing times, I remember back in 2001 when Jean Alesi was belting around Barcelona in the Prost much faster than anyone else in pre season, come the 1st race, he qualified 14th n finished 10th, so we will see what the score is during the year

I've been thinking how Ferrari could make such signnificant gains when I remembered this.... could this be the reason?

autoronaldo.com/ferrari-spends-e40-million-new-technology/

autoronaldo.com/f1-ferrari-hires-austrian-company-work-engine/

Don't get me wrong brad, there's clearly some improvement but its to early to get excited and what "delivery driver" said makes sense also, don't count your chickens just yet mate. The thing that I see is that the gap between him and second is to large, therefore I Beleive he is running more in qualy trim than anything and anyone else. Yeah kimi did have a problem with the car turning in and that's down solely to the pull rod suspension as that makes alot more understeering car in slower corners but a snappier faster front end in fast corners, that's why you always saw alonso sawing away at the wheel all the time, that's his driving style. So unless kimi and get to grips with the suspension, I suspect seb to have it over him from the word go.

Even Vettel himself is playing down his and ferraris pace, he also stated that merc are in the best position and there obviously targeting reliability more than pace, which IMO means they know there quick. I still think merc will be ahead still, although they might not have the dominance they had last year, but they will be quick. Just how long they have run so far before issues have struck is what stands out to me and Vettel thinks the same.

...besides Allison's brilliant technical mind

Must have skipped this post before, you mean the same Allison that did last years cactus Ferrari.

Hey there, WebRic. Still swatting hater flies, I see.

I was just told about Ferrari's performance. It would be fan-fvcking-tastic if it worked out. Kimi broke my heart last year.

It just boggles my mind, how the knowledge here is incredible but with that knowledge some should know that testing means nothing especially this early on. I'd love to see the Scuderia finally pushing at the front again as iam a massive Ferrari fan at heart, have been every since Alesi drove for them, but it's to early and at this point of time, it's all about reliability and most laps run more than pure pace. If that's the case, who here honestly believes that sauber will be quicker than Redbull,Williams, Mercedes and Mclaren. I sure as heck don't think so, takes more than 12 months to turn around from a deficit like that. But hey it's my opinion and I think that's what some fail to see or read. The post is dissected to reply and talk about what benifits them.

It just boggles my mind, how the knowledge here is incredible but with that knowledge some should know that testing means nothing especially this early on. I'd love to see the Scuderia finally pushing at the front again as iam a massive Ferrari fan at heart, have been every since Alesi drove for them, but it's to early and at this point of time, it's all about reliability and most laps run more than pure pace. If that's the case, who here honestly believes that sauber will be quicker than Redbull,Williams, Mercedes and Mclaren. I sure as heck don't think so, takes more than 12 months to turn around from a deficit like that. But hey it's my opinion and I think that's what some fail to see or read. The post is dissected to reply and talk about what benifits them.

You make good points now and earlier up the thread.

We've got 5 weeks and change to Australia. There are plenty of kms to cover and, hopefully, we'll get some beautiful upsets in performance. Otherwise, F1 is screwed for yet another season.

Must have skipped this post before, you mean the same Allison that did last years cactus Ferrari.

He wasn't responsible for the design of the car, he joined at the start of 2014...

My point is that the car looks fast out of the blocks. It's an assumption based on the first 2 days of testing. From testing last year we deduced that Merc was on form, RedBull was in trouble and Mclaren in even deeper trouble. We could see it right from the start. It's very simple...