Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spiral.out

Australia Losing Its Free To Air Motorsports

Seems to be a growing trend. I dont have Foxtel, I dont want to pay for 39 channels full of crap just to watch the odd race or game at $50 per month. Having said that, if they use the official providers coverage instead of me being forced to listen to some Channel 10 weirdo interviewing a former MotoGP champion (???) and some aging racer and then cut to the race halfway through the warmup lap, bring it on.

Alternatively there is always downloading the race the next day....

Also I dont watch the V8s, I find them exceptionally boring. Too slow, not enough manufacturers, not exotic enough, too many bogans.

Only half of the Formula 1 season will be broadcast live on free-to-air television in Australia under a soon-to-be-signed deal with Fox Sports.

Split rights between Fox and Network Ten have been mooted for months, but were initially thought to see all races simulcast across the two platforms, as is the case with MotoGP.

Speedcafe.com sources have confirmed that the proposed agreement will, however, see all races live on Fox and just half remain with the cash-strapped Ten.

Although there have been suggestions that such an arrangement could be rushed in for this season, theFinancial Review reports that it will commence in 2016, following the end of the current rights period.

The model will reflect the Fox/Ten V8 Supercars deal as well as that seen for Formula 1 in the United Kingdom, where the BBC and Sky Sports have joint rights.

Both examples see the non-live races still shown on free-to-air in delayed highlights form.

Although not always live, the complete schedule of full-length Formula 1 races have been shown on free-to-air in Australia since the early 1980s.

The new Australian F1 deal is currently understood to be awaiting sign-off from Formula One Management in the UK.

The protracted negations over the Formula 1 television rights have meanwhile left V8 Supercars in the unusual position of starting its season without having finalised its number of championship rounds.

The Albert Park support races will be elevated from non-points status to the second round of the championship if the Fox/Ten F1 deal is completed and FOM agrees to the V8 Supercars status change.

With the Australian Grand Prix Corporation fully supportive of it becoming a championship round, V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton says that the category can only wait for the final pieces to be put into place.

“In some ways we’re running out of time, because obviously they (the AGPC) will want to promote it,” he told Speedcafe.com during the weekend’s season-launching Sydney SuperTest.

“I think certainly by the time the championship kicks off, it will be good to have clarity on it.

“But our piece is done. It’s now up to others.”

The 2015 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix meeting will kick-off in just 30 days time, with F1 and the V8 Supercars to be joined at the circuit by the Carrera Cup and the Group A/C Heritage Touring Cars.

Ohh say it ain't so. That's complete bs, Australia now becoming such a greedy country. Iam the same, I struggle to watch v8's as it lacks the appeal to me that f1 has. Just as we get some quality drivers that have helped raised the status of f1 in Australia only for it to be taken away again. People arnt going to pay to watch something there not intrested in and there not even given the chance to get intrested if it moves to pay tv. What a crock.

Seems to be a growing trend. I dont have Foxtel, I dont want to pay for 39 channels full of crap just to watch the odd race or game at $50 per month. Having said that, if they use the official providers coverage instead of me being forced to listen to some Channel 10 weirdo interviewing a former MotoGP champion (???) and some aging racer and then cut to the race halfway through the warmup lap, bring it on.

same here, it's all aired on Multichoice (DSTV) pay channel, but we get em all live

Channel 1HD was supposed to be a sports station too, and now it plays rubbish, I'm not impressed one little bit either, but channel 10 have done a very poor job at telecasting the races anyhow, no pre race chat, nothing, take it over to SBS, they will do a proper job,

I remember one hd was supposed to be a sports channel 24/7 yet it shows the same movies as channel 10 at the same time wtf?

Channel 1HD was supposed to be a sports station too, and now it plays rubbish, I'm not impressed one little bit either, but channel 10 have done a very poor job at telecasting the races anyhow, no pre race chat, nothing, take it over to SBS, they will do a proper job,

I remember one hd was supposed to be a sports channel 24/7 yet it shows the same movies as channel 10 at the same time wtf?

Yep thats how ONE started out. Now it's a confused mess.

Yep thats how ONE started out. Now it's a confused mess.

If there is nothing to show, why not run a tape of an old gp or something,atleast sport so you don't catch the same film twice on ten and one.

I just can't see why there trying to sign f1 up as pay per view. If that's the case, why not promote the sport in the same way so there is actually fans who would buy foxtel to watch it.

Probably, man if your up late, usually 7mate has great Motorsport nostalgia on. Last night was classic rally from the early 90s. 7mate is great for that unlike one hd which promoted itself as a 24/7 sports channel but now the odds of actually catching sport on one instead of the same movie there showing on channel 10 is extremly rare. Iam a massive nba fan aswell and for the first year one hd was running nba games twice a week, now, not even one. Have to deal with watching the nbl and watching guys miss shots that I even make.

Also I've heard channel 1 have lost the rights to NASCAR as well? Is that true too?

Like who cares on that one, talk about BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I like NASCAR, watching those big heavy cars so close at high speed is pretty sweet.

Cant stand NASCAR. What a bloody waste of fuel

I used to be like that until I actually watched it properly, now iam right into it, the certainly is a skill required to race those things as it seems massively difficult to be competitive all the time, even Montoya couldn't run in the top 10 frequently and the resume and cars he has driven, should be able to adapt but nope.

Serious? Post a link bro wanna read what these fnn clowns have done to line there pockets even more.

This line fits in perfectly here: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Soon there will be no free to air tv, you'll have to pay for everything. Just like a thief in the night.

well I sucumbed to the Foxtell way..... cost $50 a month but hey it's what I like watching so why not, and it's only money :-) they are still printing it :-)

I got Foxtel a few months back for the Premier League.

If you are getting it for sport, you also need to suck it up and pay the extra $10 per month (extortion) for the HD channel pack. Such a difference with the sport.

well I sucumbed to the Foxtell way..... cost $50 a month but hey it's what I like watching so why not, and it's only money :-) they are still printing it :-)

How bout you give me all your money since its only money. I refuse, ill make a stand as that's the reason they get away with it because people go "oh well that's the way it is"

@admin- what a Rort yea it's only $10 extra but you imagine how much extra they make having to charge that to everyone. It should be illegal as you cant get standard definition anymore so there making an extra $10 for absolutly nothing.

@admin- what a Rort yea it's only $10 extra but you imagine how much extra they make having to charge that to everyone. It should be illegal as you cant get standard definition anymore so there making an extra $10 for absolutly nothing.

Yep, I am sure they make multi millions per month off the HD channel pack and it should be included with the base package.

Yep, I am sure they make multi millions per month off the HD channel pack and it should be included with the base package.

It should be illegal as that is charged as an alternative to the standard product, but if there is no alternative it's wrong. If it was me, I'd go to the industry ombudsman over that.

How bout you give me all your money since its only money. I refuse, ill make a stand as that's the reason they get away with it because people go "oh well that's the way it is"

Mate I am on an old age pension and figure that I may not be on this earth for long so enjoy what I want for as long as I can. The channels won't budge on pricing as they have a captive audience, like how could you get the same coverage and from where?? I have tried the broadband thingie and well that's a waste of time....