Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Where Will Ricciardo Be In 2016?

No a wandering minstrel used to come to our village and tell us all about it.... smile.png

word of mouth.... unreliable..... thats how WebRic believes Alonso is fast.

Dont need that mate, I have common sense and common sense (if you had any) would proove alonso is fast. Lol.

I think Bottas has already signed with Ferrari for 2016. Hamilton will win this year's WDC and probably jump to Audi-RBR in 2017. Lewis has nothing to prove and another WDC in a different car would appeal to his ego. Ricciardo isn't going anywhere. Toro Rossa have the chance to really strike out on their own and their driver team is awesome. Renault will invest there - they have to. Williams won't put Mrs Woolf in a car but Mr Haas might. She needs sponsorship but she can get millions. I think Magnussen could and should replace Bottas and Massa may have to make way for Palmer. I am very impressed with young Jolyon. Lotus may want Kimi back IF they pay him this time. It's all open country, folks. I just can't wait for the finished article from McLaren-Honda and watching the fur fly as Jens and Nando go at it. Roll on.

If we are to believe rumours then Danica Patrick is more likely to get a Haas seat than Suzie (who hasn't raced in about 10 years I think)

Never going to happen

Ill hold you to that and just remember I said it when I rain down on you when your wrong.

Ill hold you to that and just remember I said it when I rain down on you when your wrong.

Oh dont get me wrong, Jenson will smash Alonso (hes doing that already) but McLaren is years from the top :P

How is button doing that already when alonso is ahead of him in the championship by getting the teams best result so far? Sorry wrong again just like you are about kimi, lol.

Ah but to be fair, in the race that Alonso scored that result, Button wasn't even able to start

Yeah I know, but it is what it is Jem. When button has finished, he didnt get close to that.

No way. Very good line up as I like both drivers emensly but alonso just has that more fight than button. The good thing about this line up is that button will keep him honest and not play the alonso mind games. But IMO I feel alonso will have the edge as I don't think there is any better driver out there. See button has to have everything working or have the ability to save the tyres and that's his strength but as out right pass, he is a shade under alonso. But and it's a big but, he has done well in qualifying against alonso so even though I said what I did, maybe just maybe, button has pulled something out and is delivering on pure ability and has rose to the challenge. But my heart sayes he simply doesnt have the pure pace but time will tell and I will salute you Jem if your prediction is correct.

On the subject of McLaren, Boullier says their performance isn't good enough - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32737663

I was more interested to see that Button will only be there in 2016 if McLaren take up their option on him, & the $20m difference in salary.

That's a good question, where would he go if Mclaren let him go? Be stupid to IMO but stupid things happen in this sport. Alonso and button are the ideal combo in terms of developing the car. We have one aggressive driver and one super smooth driver. What better combination is there to develop a car car that is super smooth and can be driven aggressively. It would be a super car once they get it all sorted.

I just hope we don't have protracted negotiations/indecision like we did in 2014, that was an absolute farce.

If it aint broke don't fix it - they have 2 champions, 1 who's willing to drive for £20m less than the other - no brainer! Sir Frank would probably snap up JB.

Well Jenson did say when that situation with the whole Benetton thing that he would drive for Williams again one day didnt he? Honestly Mclaren and Honda have much bigger issues to worry about than there line up. It's not the drivers that are the problem. We know that for a fact.

True that. I doubt they'll even think about drivers until the last 1/4 of the season.

When JB was at Benetton he probably thought he'd go back to Williams but Montoya was a revelation

I agree that Ricciardo looked better because Vettel had no motivation. It seemed Vettel was being mature and classy in defeat by saying nice things of the team and Ricciardo and never throwing a public fit or anything, but in hindsight, I think it was not so much growing up as it was that he just did not care anymore. I believe this because of Vettel saying that he thought about leaving F1 altogether and did not like the style of racing in the new rules. Vettel had no competitive fire in 2014 (and we should remember he had a kid and any driver will tell you that being successful in racing requires a singular focus that fixates on being the best in racing, and obviously having a family means you are focused on more than just racing). He ran poorly, which made Ricciardo look better.

Adding to that, we all wanted Ricciardo to be the best. Again, that singular focus -- it makes drivers seem cold, terse, boring, bland, stoic, whatever. So, someone like Ricciardo, warm, friendly, smiling, we wanted him to better than he is because we want someone like that to succeed in F1, right? The gap was not as big as it looked in points. Many races, Vettel ran ahead of Ricciardo all day, only to get beaten by him in the final stint on strategy.

BUT there is more to it. Ricciardo had overtakes that were some of the best of the whole season in 2014. He pulled off upsets no one else managed. All of these things are impressive no matter what Vettel did. So, Ricciardo is very, very good.

What is his future? Sadly, I see him as Alonso. 1, for his driving style -- he overtakes a lot like Alonso does, but 2, for timing. Alonso timed it perfectly in 2005 and 2006. The regulations changed (V8 engines, no tire changes in 05), Ferrari declined a bit, Schumacher was nearing his first retirement, and Alonso was the hottest, brightest, youngest star to take charge. But as soon as he got there, younger, brighter, hotter stars Hamilton, Vettel, and Kubica positioned themselves to take many of the glories we assumed would be Alonso's. And amongst them, Vettel took many of Hamilton's glories by being the hottest, brightest, and youngest just in time for another rules overhaul in 2009 to lead Red Bull into an era of dominance.

It is all about timing. Ricciardo was the hottest, brightest, and youngest in 2014. But his timing is not right. Red Bull is not the team to be with now and can't be until at least 2017 when the rules change. But by 2017, Ricciardo will not be the hottest, brightest, or youngest. Verstappen, Sainz, Vandoorne, whomever will overtake him in that. It will leave him like Alonso: in good teams, winning races, but never the guy. Same will happen to Bottas. It happened to Nico H., too. It's all timing.

You might counter by asking how 29-or-whatever-year-old Hamilton got in the best seat for 2014. Well, for one, sacrificing 2013 to get there, but two, look at the 2012 grid -- no real prospects. Nico and di Resta were pretty good, but no one was calling them these once-in-a-lifetime kind of talents. You can just tell if folks have "it" and good as they are, they didn't mesmerize. Checo was very good at Sauber. However, he was a major risk and we see at McLaren the risk was not worth it. The thing with Checo is Mercedes knew they had a good engine for 2014, the best one, and even though Checo looked good in 2012, it was obvious he would still be too raw to deliver the WDC in 2014. Ricciardo and JEV had yet to prove themselves in 2012. Charles Pic was really just bland. You see, Hamilton got his "second chance" because of timing. There was no one better. Driver development went stagnant in the economic crisis because all the feeder series went to pay drivers and that gave Hamilton a window.

But now it is not so stagnant, some of the future are already on the grid at Toro Rosso. Ricciardo, Bottas, no second chances. Too bad but that's this sport. You time it right, even someone like Massa can compete for titles. Time it wrong and generational talents like Kubica never amount to what they could've.

True that. I doubt they'll even think about drivers until the last 1/4 of the season.

When JB was at Benetton he probably thought he'd go back to Williams but Montoya was a revelation

IMO Montoya just jumped in to a half decent car straight away.

I agree that Ricciardo looked better because Vettel had no motivation. It seemed Vettel was being mature and classy in defeat by saying nice things of the team and Ricciardo and never throwing a public fit or anything, but in hindsight, I think it was not so much growing up as it was that he just did not care anymore. I believe this because of Vettel saying that he thought about leaving F1 altogether and did not like the style of racing in the new rules. Vettel had no competitive fire in 2014 (and we should remember he had a kid and any driver will tell you that being successful in racing requires a singular focus that fixates on being the best in racing, and obviously having a family means you are focused on more than just racing). He ran poorly, which made Ricciardo look better.

Adding to that, we all wanted Ricciardo to be the best. Again, that singular focus -- it makes drivers seem cold, terse, boring, bland, stoic, whatever. So, someone like Ricciardo, warm, friendly, smiling, we wanted him to better than he is because we want someone like that to succeed in F1, right? The gap was not as big as it looked in points. Many races, Vettel ran ahead of Ricciardo all day, only to get beaten by him in the final stint on strategy.

BUT there is more to it. Ricciardo had overtakes that were some of the best of the whole season in 2014. He pulled off upsets no one else managed. All of these things are impressive no matter what Vettel did. So, Ricciardo is very, very good.

What is his future? Sadly, I see him as Alonso. 1, for his driving style -- he overtakes a lot like Alonso does, but 2, for timing. Alonso timed it perfectly in 2005 and 2006. The regulations changed (V8 engines, no tire changes in 05), Ferrari declined a bit, Schumacher was nearing his first retirement, and Alonso was the hottest, brightest, youngest star to take charge. But as soon as he got there, younger, brighter, hotter stars Hamilton, Vettel, and Kubica positioned themselves to take many of the glories we assumed would be Alonso's. And amongst them, Vettel took many of Hamilton's glories by being the hottest, brightest, and youngest just in time for another rules overhaul in 2009 to lead Red Bull into an era of dominance.

It is all about timing. Ricciardo was the hottest, brightest, and youngest in 2014. But his timing is not right. Red Bull is not the team to be with now and can't be until at least 2017 when the rules change. But by 2017, Ricciardo will not be the hottest, brightest, or youngest. Verstappen, Sainz, Vandoorne, whomever will overtake him in that. It will leave him like Alonso: in good teams, winning races, but never the guy. Same will happen to Bottas. It happened to Nico H., too. It's all timing.

You might counter by asking how 29-or-whatever-year-old Hamilton got in the best seat for 2014. Well, for one, sacrificing 2013 to get there, but two, look at the 2012 grid -- no real prospects. Nico and di Resta were pretty good, but no one was calling them these once-in-a-lifetime kind of talents. You can just tell if folks have "it" and good as they are, they didn't mesmerize. Checo was very good at Sauber. However, he was a major risk and we see at McLaren the risk was not worth it. The thing with Checo is Mercedes knew they had a good engine for 2014, the best one, and even though Checo looked good in 2012, it was obvious he would still be too raw to deliver the WDC in 2014. Ricciardo and JEV had yet to prove themselves in 2012. Charles Pic was really just bland. You see, Hamilton got his "second chance" because of timing. There was no one better. Driver development went stagnant in the economic crisis because all the feeder series went to pay drivers and that gave Hamilton a window.

But now it is not so stagnant, some of the future are already on the grid at Toro Rosso. Ricciardo, Bottas, no second chances. Too bad but that's this sport. You time it right, even someone like Massa can compete for titles. Time it wrong and generational talents like Kubica never amount to what they could've.

Very good post and I agree with most of it. But people also are forgetting, seb would have had priority on getting upgrades and parts before daniel so theoretically ricciardo was always using out of date machinery compared to seb and IMO that just made him stand out even more and show his true talent.

Never going to happen

I don't think you are right. We'll see.