Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Past Drivers Who Deserved A Better Shot

Correct, I think he had a pair of 3rd's in Belgium and Hungary, there was certainly potential there thats for sure, was he WDC material? probably not, but could he have won races? Certainly.

He was quite good in karts aswell if iam not mistaken.

He was quite good in karts aswell if iam not mistaken.

and F3

This old Dutch guy I used to work with said he used to live on a property back in the day next to the Verstappen family and said they were a bunch of gypsy's but he said when jos was a kid he learnt how to drive in the family paddock in old studerbaker's as apparently his father used to run a parts shop there also. Don't know how true that is but he has showed me old photos of when he went to spa in the 60/70s and saw the f1 races there and old photos of when he saw giacomo agostini race. So I guess it could be true, I've known him for about 15 yrs and never came accross as the guy to pull your leg so to speak.

Yeah nah Jos was a missed talent, that went begging, even in the Minardi I thought he was still pretty good, what he did in that simtek was astonishing, how close was he to replacing Johnny Herbert for the remainder of 1995? I thought Flavio wanted Jos back in the race team? Talking of past drivers, what ever happened to Pedro Diniz and Ricardo Rosset? I haven't heard a bar from them for years n years

Don't know about Diniz but i pretty sure rosset drives in the American Le Mans series.

Edit: I stand corrected, just checked Wikipedia and Ricardo rosset races in the Brazilian stock car championship. The series barrichello won last year.

And pedro Diniz has now become a partner in his fathers supermarket chain.

Yeah they dissappeared but I never thought much of Diniz anyway. I know Toranosuke Takagi raced in the Indy cars with not much success but he went back to Japan to race in th gt series and I think won the gt championship in 2005 but I don't know what he has done since though.

In case you were wondering what Yuji Ide is up to these days, he races in Japanese 'Super GT'. This season he currently has 0 points.

Yeah nah Jos was a missed talent, that went begging, even in the Minardi I thought he was still pretty good, what he did in that simtek was astonishing, how close was he to replacing Johnny Herbert for the remainder of 1995? I thought Flavio wanted Jos back in the race team? Talking of past drivers, what ever happened to Pedro Diniz and Ricardo Rosset? I haven't heard a bar from them for years n years

Rosset was utterly useless in an F1 car, Jos destroyed him in 1996 at Arrows, and he sunk himself with that horrific display in the 1998 Tyrrell, funnily enough alongside Tora Takagi.

Diniz was never more than a solid midfield driver, if he'd ever made it into a top team I'm certain he would've been found wanting.

Yuji Ide was a triumph of sponsorship over ability.

In case you were wondering what Yuji Ide is up to these days, he races in Japanese 'Super GT'. This season he currently has 0 points.

Yeah I knew that but his championship position doesn't suprise me lol. What I've always wanted to know is why keichi tsuchiya never tried to make it to f1. He is the greatest drifter ever and the guy can drive and win in anything, a multiple Japanese gt champion and I think he has even won Le Mans once before. Also, anyone remember Channock nissany? The guy who complained the Minardi had to much grip lmao.

Yeah I knew that but his championship position doesn't suprise me lol. What I've always wanted to know is why keichi tsuchiya never tried to make it to f1. He is the greatest drifter ever and the guy can drive and win in anything, a multiple Japanese gt champion and I think he has even won Le Mans once before. Also, anyone remember Channock nissany? The guy who complained the Minardi had to much grip lmao.

Keiichi was a factory driver for Toyota back in the late '90s before he started drifting, he did have a P2 overall at Le Mans but I don't think he ever won it, I'd say he never attempted F1 because he isn't from a wealthy family and likely couldn't afford it, immensely talented though.

Chanoch Nissany is an interesting one, he didnt start racing until he was in his late 30's, and was in his early 40's by the time he stepped into the Minardi, thing is though that he'd won multiple national titles and had F1 expierience testing that year's Jordan at Silverstone twice before he arrived at the Hungaroring, a track he knew like the back of his hand from racing in Hungary, so it wasnt as if he was ill prepared for his debut, so its utterly astounding to me that he could be so god awful that day.

Keiichi was drifting way before he attempted any motor sport. That's what attracted the big company's because he was drifting around corners of the race track and was considerably faster. That's what initial d is based of, keiichi and his ae86.

Keiichi was drifting way before he attempted any motor sport. That's what attracted the big company's because he was drifting around corners of the race track and was considerably faster. That's what initial d is based of, keiichi and his ae86.

Well there you go then, admittedly I'm not well versed in the world of drifting.

Well there you go then, admittedly I'm not well versed in the world of drifting.

I love it, I got a pretty worked old school r31 skyline and it gets sideways nice and easy :)

I love it, I got a pretty worked old school r31 skyline and it gets sideways nice and easy smile.png

More of a single seat man myself.

More of a single seat man myself.

Yeah I used to have one of them also, I had a crg kart running a leopard water cooled 125cc. Was my pride and joy (aside from my nissan) but a recent accident made me have to sell it.