Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

What Kimi Needs To Do To Keep His Seat.

Yeah you make sense but asking this from the current drivers is near impossible granted the rules and regulations. As soon as a driver wants to push, there told to take it easy,just like alonso, who wanted to push to atleast race someone and he is called a whinger, could you imagine what other things would have been said if kimi had that out burst?

I agree. I dont think he is a whinger for it tho, legend more like.

Refueling is a ruse. F1 has died as we know it. When was the last time you can honestly remember a driver going balls out with no regards for tyre wear, brakes, being told to conserve fuel etc.

Not for years.

I know there have probably been some since then, but the Nurburgring 2005 sticks in my mind. Win or die trying. Balls to the wall. Had Kimi backed off and settled for a 2nd or 3rd, he probably would have been the WDC. Sad, but it added to his legend status over the years. Suzuka really brought it home too.

You talking about kimi passing fisi on the last lap around turn one? If so, that move was fvcking epic. Hero or zero there and just said "iam going for it" spectacular overtake, there was nothing fisi could so about it either, he defended great but kimi just drove round the outside.

That's when kimi was at his best and most exciting to watch.

The pass on Fissi was in Suzuka. Nurburgring was the suspension failure. I think.

It was a good year but Kimi was too far behind. I reckon Alonso would've walked away with it anyway.

Nurburgring '05 I think he had a major flatspot and it was clear the tyre was going to go at some point. So, you could say big balls, but on the other hand you could say stupid and should've come in for a tyre change. I was disappointed at the time though, I wanted Kimi to win seeing as he was nearly always faster than Alonso in 2005 but the stupid gearbox and engine kept failing meaning grid penalties.

Maure I don't see how everything was against Dan last year, I think the opposite - nothing was expected of him so he had no pressure. He's not as smiley now that he's a team leader.

The grid penalties Kimi kept receiving in 2005 was in a way kind of depressing. I know it helped the show with the fastest car roaring up the grid in those races but it really did ruin the Championship run for Kimi.

The flat spot sucked in the Nurburg. I still can't believe how idiotic the tyre rules where in those days. I admire the fact he went all in for the win. And at the same time, feeling if he backed off and got 2nd, or at least 3rd, he would have been just that one step closer to winning the Championship. After 2003, he really did deserve 2005, but it wasn't to be.

Nurburgring '05 I think he had a major flatspot and it was clear the tyre was going to go at some point. So, you could say big balls, but on the other hand you could say stupid and should've come in for a tyre change. I was disappointed at the time though, I wanted Kimi to win seeing as he was nearly always faster than Alonso in 2005 but the stupid gearbox and engine kept failing meaning grid penalties.

Maure I don't see how everything was against Dan last year, I think the opposite - nothing was expected of him so he had no pressure. He's not as smiley now that he's a team leader.

Wasnt it actually suspension failure that made him crash? I couldn't Beleive it tbh, how it just couldn't hold on for the last lap, bit like hakkinen and his engine on the last lap of the Spanish gp in 2001. As for dan, I agree, he had no pressure last year therefore people didnt know what to expect from him but now they do and I feel that over shadows the cars issues and people easily say he isn't impressing as much which IMO I don't agree with. He is still driving the balls of the car but its getting him no where but in the long run it will only benifit him as a driver.

Yea I wouldn't say Dan is any less impressive, but over the years F1 has shown it has a short memory and the phrase "you're only as good as your last race" often rings true, meaning his 2014 heroics will soon be meaningless. If he gets on the podium the media will go straight back to saying he's the best thing since sliced bread, exactly what happened with Bottas after Canada.

I think the major vibration caused by the flatspot, is what caused the suspension failure

Yea I wouldn't say Dan is any less impressive, but over the years F1 has shown it has a short memory and the phrase "you're only as good as your last race" often rings true, meaning his 2014 heroics will soon be meaningless. If he gets on the podium the media will go straight back to saying he's the best thing since sliced bread, exactly what happened with Bottas after Canada.

I think the major vibration caused by the flatspot, is what caused the suspension failure

Yeah agree with this post.

I too think it was a flat spot although memory...

Kimi had a championship title coming and I too was rooting for him. At the time, reliability seemed to be the problem but a few years back a friend (and common Kimi fan) looked into the stats and it turns out that Alonso only had one less engine failure overall.

Anyway, it broke my heart a little but then came 07.

Ricciardo was hired as Vettel's chambermaid. It wasn't just an issue of starting in a new team. There was also all the hype around the best-ever-driver-by-the-record-book and so on. The Aussie was swimming upstream all the way. So much so that it eventually forced Vettel's departure. The racing, the politics. It is a lot to overcome and, I reckon, there were no more than two drivers on that grid that could have done what he did.

This season though, Ricciardo is not doing as great as he did last. As I said before, this does not mean that he is sucking. Nope. In fact, he is doing rather well. But the extraordinary performances of last year are not happening now. He's got to take the fight to the Williams, at least, in order to stand out. That's what it takes. The unthinkable.

The only driver that imo is clearly excelling this year is Hamilton and, mostly, it is because of his management of the championship. Racing-wise... meh, he's just better than one guy and a half guys.

Yeah I mentioned the stats on alonso and kimi in 2005 like you mentioned but got shot down in flames.

This season though, Ricciardo is not doing as great as he did last. As I said before, this does not mean that he is sucking. Nope. In fact, he is doing rather well. But the extraordinary performances of last year are not happening now. He's got to take the fight to the Williams, at least, in order to stand out. That's what it takes. The unthinkable.

The only driver that imo is clearly excelling this year is Hamilton and, mostly, it is because of his management of the championship. Racing-wise... meh, he's just better than one guy and a half guys.

What exactly do you base that "Ricciardo is not doing as great as he did last" on? Are you referring to the fact that his results are not as good, therefore what you mean is "Ricciardo's results are not as good this year as last year" or do you mean that his driving is not as good this year, therefore what you mean to say is "Ricciardo is not driving as well as last year". How do you know the extraordinary performances are not happening? Are you intimately familiar with his cars capabilities? So it takes the unthinkable in your mind? What is the unthinkable? Do you mean the impossible? I assume you don't because that is impossible. How does one take the fight to Williams when ones car cannot go fast enough would be my question.

I agree with you about Hamilton.

I think ricciardo is actually driving better tbh, the overtaking moves are still there but there is nothing more that can be done because of that car he has. Canada he was using an engine on its last legs and therefore wouldn't have the hp output of a fresher engine like Kvyats.

Of course it is about results. Specifically getting the car where it does not belong. Simple to say as that although, of course, few, very few, are able to do so. Thus, extra-ordinary.

The thing is that DLR might have driven the best races of his life on that HRT at the back of the field. But without results to show for, he's a goner... and who misses him? Same goes for everyone else. There is no shortage of drivers that have spoken in this manner about their mid and back of the field performances. I believe them. They might have driven the wheels off their cars. Still, no results, no glory. That's how it works.

Show me something extraordinary and I'll call it extraordinary. Last year, Ricciardo was a superdriver. This year, he is not. Hopefully this will change for the better and soon. There are already too many guys just going round and round, phoning it in.

And, btw, so that there are no mistakes. With Kimi gone, Ricciardo and Alonso are my two guys now. And the first is on account of last year alone. So I not putting him down at all. Rather, this is me saying, bring it on.

If he doesn't, what's left of this wtf season? I no longer expect Vettel to superdrive and I can't figure out if Rosberg is beaten or just mentally masturbating himself all the way to enlightenment.

Your right, results yield better opportunities but we on this forum know, results don't always tell the true story. People like us can tell who is good and who isn't reguardless of what they drive and how they perform. But if there performances sink to below our expectations for to long, then we have to start discussion on weather the driver has lost his edge or just consistantly lucks out on rides given to him. Two types of people base drivers on results and that's team personel and outsiders who have little to no idea about the sport.

I can't figure out if Rosberg is beaten or just mentally masturbating himself all the way to enlightenment.

ahahaaa

With Kimi gone. hmmmm, Dunno if I will even watch unless they change the rules.

If there is something that's for sure going to happen is death, taxes, and changes to the F1 rulebook.

I get what you are saying, WebRic. For me, results are a fundamental part of the assessment of the driver. To be honest, I don't know how to say it better. A driver that puts the car ahead of where it should be is the superdriver. That's my standard for that title. It is not meant to be given often but, when it is, it says a lot. That's the point, really. Distinguish the brilliant from the rest.

I don't like to bring up Senna because I think he's been deified way too much and, besides, let the dead rest in peace. But you might remember some of his drives. I do. There were times when I was in utter disbelief, you know, as in how the fvck did he do that? That's why he had super-races and super-seasons and why he was, at times, a super-driver.

If there is something that's for sure going to happen is death, taxes, and changes to the F1 rulebook.

I get what you are saying, WebRic. For me, results are a fundamental part of the assessment of the driver. To be honest, I don't know how to say it better. A driver that puts the car ahead of where it should be is the superdriver. That's my standard for that title. It is not meant to be given often but, when it is, it says a lot. That's the point, really. Distinguish the brilliant from the rest.

I don't like to bring up Senna because I think he's been deified way too much and, besides, let the dead rest in peace. But you might remember some of his drives. I do. There were times when I was in utter disbelief, you know, as in how the fvck did he do that? That's why he had super-races and super-seasons and why he was, at times, a super-driver.

Yeah I know what your saying and senna was a one of a kind driver. Donington 93 is classed as the greatest ever lap. The sport nowadays doesn't allow for drivers of his calibre, because there is to many rules to stop them from flexing there elbows so to speak. The only way we will ever know is to get rid of driver aids.

koolmonkey tends to get a little irate if you talk about putting a car where it doesn't belong.

2005 - Engine retirements were equal but Kimi had 4 grid penalties compared with Alonso's 0, so he was often on the back foot.

koolmonkey is not the only one. Anyone who says a car is where it doesnt belong needs their head read.

So in other words there has never been any spectacular drives in non competitive cars that made you go "wow, that's not supposed to happen"

So in other words there has never been any spectacular drives in non competitive cars that made you go "wow, that's not supposed to happen"

It's all semantics but at the end of the day a car can only do what its physically capable of doing. If a particular driver seems to drive the wheels off it, good on him and shame on his team mate. There might even be another driver on the grid who could do even better.

It's all semantics but at the end of the day a car can only do what its physically capable of doing. If a particular driver seems to drive the wheels off it, good on him and shame on his team mate. There might even be another driver on the grid who could do even better.

Yeah that is true when you put it like that.