Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

What Kimi Needs To Do To Keep His Seat.

koolmonkey tends to get a little irate if you talk about putting a car where it doesn't belong.

2005 - Engine retirements were equal but Kimi had 4 grid penalties compared with Alonso's 0, so he was often on the back foot.

koolmonkey is not the only one. Anyone who says a car is where it doesnt belong needs their head read.

I wouldn't say irate Jem, just specific is all. And mostly when it comes to Alonso. I respect his talent, it just grates me that people, not even necessarily posting here, but in general, keep going on that he's such a legend because he's often gotten results in dogs of cars. If that's the case, we'd see some consistency in his "talent" of getting more out of the car. I just don't see it. Like Spiral, I think there is only so much a driver can get out of car.

And instance of a driver putting a car where it doesn't belong would be like Manor taking pole and the win in the next race for example. It's not going to happen. You could put Senna, Prost, Schumi, Captain America in the seat and it's still going to come last. The drivers could be exerting more effort, more skill than the others and still come last.

Let's look at Hamilton for starters, he's totally cruising in these races. Other than the start of the race, his car is so good and so fast, he doesn't even have to go 100% effort to open up a gap. That doesn't mean he's not talented, or that it's all the car, but it's clear the car has no peer either last year or this year. Nico is the only legitimate challenger and he's not been right since Spa last year.

I will say this. I think the Super Aguri's did amazing considering their budget, and the fact they were barely even a Honda B team, more like an Arrows B team. They caused Honda some serious embarrassment, and I still to this day feel Honda did whatever it took to make them leave F1.

All the drivers on the circuit say he is the fastest out there. It's got to count for something and they have said it for years.

All the drivers on the circuit say he is the fastest out there. It's got to count for something and they have said it for years.

Thats just to make you feel better. ;)

Thats just to make you feel better. ;)

Well, it works lol.

I think the drivers all voted Alonso as driver of the decade. Let him and Lewis fly on a single lap though in the same car and I'd bet on Lewis to cross the line first.

I think the drivers all voted Alonso as driver of the decade. Let him and Lewis fly on a single lap though in the same car and I'd bet on Lewis to cross the line first.

I don't think so, this car lewis has now I honestly think it makes him look hell of alot better. Not saying lewis is bad, not at all he is incredibly quick but id rate my top 3 on pure speed like this and iam not being biased

1-alonso

2-ricciardo

3-Hamilton

I rate ricciardo very high because when I was racing karts I saw ricciardo drive a kart and his speed was rediculous, super natural and he had this aura around him as he shone above anyone else in the category. I never raced nor met him but he was at a race meet I went to in Western Australia about 10-12 yrs ago

Ah but Button was the best thing in karts since Senna but in F1 he's not the best at pure speed. And I don't think that's much grounds to rate him faster than Hamilton, who was fastest in pretty much every category he entered before F1, but each to their own

Liuzzi was better than button in karts he was a 7x world champ.

If were going to talk about fast, and seeing how this topic is about Kimi, the obvious has to be said. Kimi is now #2 on the ALL TIME fastest lap list. It's just a shame it takes him the whole races to warm his tyres up, otherwise he'd be doing alot better if he could qualify higher up.

Not sure who is faster out of Alonso or Hamilton, but I know they are both faster than Button.

If were going to talk about fast, and seeing how this topic is about Kimi, the obvious has to be said. Kimi is now #2 on the ALL TIME fastest lap list. It's just a shame it takes him the whole races to warm his tyres up, otherwise he'd be doing alot better if he could qualify higher up.

Not sure who is faster out of Alonso or Hamilton, but I know they are both faster than Button.

That's what boggles my mind about kimi, he has always been super quick over a single lap and the fastest lap records proove that, he almost gets a fastest lap every race, but can't use that to his advantage in qualy. It has to be a tyre issue on his part like you said,there is no other explaination for it.

He excelled in the Michelin era. Schumi with the Bridgestones. But the Pirelli's only seem to suit one team at the moment.

Merc have always had a tendency to overheat their tyres. So much so, they used to qualify on the front row, and then fall back fast in the race as their tyres overheated and melted basically. But right after their illegal tyre test, they found something that makes things work for them. They still heat their tyres super quick, but they last longer now.

Pirelli will probably get replaced by Michelin in 2017, and will get blamed for the boring farce that F1 has become. Nevermind their brief was to make tyres that didn't last, they will still get blamed. It's not the tyres that are causing fans to bail on F1, it's the show. The show stinks. And nobody likes unfairness. In RBR winning years, all the other teams had free reign to try and catch up. There were no limitations on aero and body work. In the Merc era, NO team has the chance to catch up because there is severe limitations on working on the engine. That's why fans I feel are starting to once and for all be over F1. It's like tying the hand of all the other teams behind their backs, and then saying "come on, you can catch up if you work harder" which Merc have said to the media over the past year and a half. It's false because as well all know, the engine freeze debacle only favours on team.

As for Kimi, I don't think he'll get on top of his qualifying issue before the year is out. All I hope for is that he has some good races, and retains his seat for next year.

He excelled in the Michelin era. Schumi with the Bridgestones. But the Pirelli's only seem to suit one team at the moment.

Merc have always had a tendency to overheat their tyres. So much so, they used to qualify on the front row, and then fall back fast in the race as their tyres overheated and melted basically. But right after their illegal tyre test, they found something that makes things work for them. They still heat their tyres super quick, but they last longer now.

Pirelli will probably get replaced by Michelin in 2017, and will get blamed for the boring farce that F1 has become. Nevermind their brief was to make tyres that didn't last, they will still get blamed. It's not the tyres that are causing fans to bail on F1, it's the show. The show stinks. And nobody likes unfairness. In RBR winning years, all the other teams had free reign to try and catch up. There were no limitations on aero and body work. In the Merc era, NO team has the chance to catch up because there is severe limitations on working on the engine. That's why fans I feel are starting to once and for all be over F1. It's like tying the hand of all the other teams behind their backs, and then saying "come on, you can catch up if you work harder" which Merc have said to the media over the past year and a half. It's false because as well all know, the engine freeze debacle only favours on team.

As for Kimi, I don't think he'll get on top of his qualifying issue before the year is out. All I hope for is that he has some good races, and retains his seat for next year.

why doesnt kimi go out and do 10 laps instead of 3 for quali

Yeah exactly, that's why kimi was so quick for most of the race back them because those tyres would be good at the start, fall of a cliff and then come back to life towards the end of the race. It just seems he struggling with this current spec of car and tyres, he did well at lotus because the car suited those pirelli's so well. I read though, that Michelin will only return if they can run 18 inch rims.

Yeah well that would help wouldn't it? Bet he would love to run extra laps but it would be Ferrari calling the shots.

I don't know why. As stupid as it is, the 3 laps he does, are probably still quicker than if he did 10 laps. In a race, the car is hot, the wheel hubs and brakes are hot and they all contribute to boosting the tyre temps. I don't think 3 laps is enough. I wonder if you put a heat gun on the car after a full races vs 3 laps. I would think the car would be hotter after a full race.

So in a race, this all suits Kimi. He can preserve his tyres and push on. In qualy, maybe he's just not aggressive enough, or as we are all thinking, is that 2-3 laps is not enough time to get proper race temperatures into the tyres.

Anyway, it's good to see Seb going well in Austria. Fingers crossed we get a race other than Mercs for 1 and 2.

Wasnt there a rule brought in this season that the tyres can't spend as long in tyre blankets?

Annoyed Raikkonen tried to explain to media afterwards,

“I got some information and obviously it was wrong. I was doing the same thing I had been told when I was out. I never got the information that what was first the plan is now not possible and obviously we missed the lap completely.”

“The information I had was three laps and they noticed we went out too late at some point and we were not going to have three timed laps. I was doing the normal thing and I was told that the plan had changed suddenly. The point is they sent me out too late, we missed the one lap and obviously it cost us a lot,” continued the Finn.

And added, “I did the plan as I was told. There was a mistake at some point. The plan changed but I was never told.”

I missed qualifying, but when I saw Kimi's grid result I was disappointed for him. He's never been one to blame others historically. By that I mean over his whole career he's very rarely blamed anyone for anything pretty much. Other than Perez in Monaco, and the spin at Montreal, you could count his visible annoyance with others, not just the media, on one hand. Thus I have to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, because when he's F'd up in the past and crashed, he's been the first to apologize to the team. When others have crashed into him, he's not made much of a fuss about it either ie. Lewis hitting him at Montreal. So I can only surmise he's pretty p**sed off at the moment. And if they gave him wrong info, it's not been the first time they have done that. Ferrari have mucked his pitstops and strategy up multiple times. No doubt he's under pressure to perform. But he still got blamed for the spin in Montreal when it wasn't his fault. If they gave him wrong info for qualifying, I don't see how that is his fault either. But it will still count against him. This is F1. If you don't perform even if it's not your fault, you end up losing your seat.

At any rate, I have a feeling he'll have a good race. He qualified 18th but is starting from 14th, so that's +4 places already lol. Vettel had a blinder in Montreal, so it's possible Kimi could get into the points ok. Maybe a 6th or 7th would be a good result considering the circumstances.

why they chose to give Kimi that whatshisname engineer from that whatshisname mediocre team that went broke completely baffles my mind!!!!!!! Im too stumped for words

Kimi needs to keep his mouth shut if he wants that seat next season,that's one thing Ferrari won't tolerate and that's people having a go at the team. They sacked Alain Prost for doing the same thing and it wasnt even the end of the season.

I wish Kimi would have stayed silent too, but this is a new Ferrari, so maybe it's taken as "fighting spirit", and not as a team putdown. Kimi's never put down a team EVER. Not even Lotus when they shafted him of millions earned in performance bonuses. Not even after Permaine the little f'tard lost the plot over the radio to him.

At the end of the day, Kimi wants to do well. I genuinely believe he wants to be at Ferrari next year. If Alonso got mostly a free pass in Montreal for his radio outburst, then Kimi should probably be allowed the same leeway a little too. He's too good to be qualifying 18th, so something clearly went wrong in the communications.

Brad, I think Kimi's been given the wrong engineer too. But maybe all his first choices were taken. At any rate, he needs a new one who is more experienced.