Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Rip Jules

I was just about to post this. So sad iam lost for words.

Wonder what dan and the other drivers are feeling right now.

1zb6ljb.jpg

There was no safety car and that's what every one is so pi$$ed over. To have that sort of machinery on the circuit in an area that is in the direct firing line for when someone makes a mistake is just mind boggling. So what if he was speeding under yellow flags, the bottom line is, that tractor should not have been on the circuit in those conditions without a safety car.

wasn't the safety car out?

Nope, yet the FIA put the blame on jules by saying he was going to fast under yellow conditions, which is bs, he is a racer and flags are the best opportunity to make up time. When I used to race karts no one would slow for yellow flags as its the best time to gain time, you need someone to forcibly stop the race or in jules instance a safety car.

There were not even double waved yellows. The FIA was at fault with procedure in those conditions - SC should have been deployed - Charlie was slow there.

Absolutely, see I understand that there so safety concious now that they don't even really have wet races anymore. But it's the inconsistancy on what they call "undrivable". I know we will never see brilliant wet weather drives in conditions like donington 93,Suzuka94,Spain 96,Monaco 97 and so on ever again but some races,I think it was Canada one year and it was just a drizzle and the race was stopped compared to races like Suzuka, it's the inconsistancy. What also p**ses me of is they carry on about how f1 is so safe that this is the first fatality since senna. In reality, Senna's accident was a freak accident and can still very well happen exactly the same way today and have the same affect, well it almost did with Massa in 2009. The cars arnt as "safe" as they make them out to be compared to 20 years ago, it's the circuits that have had the biggest safety overhaul more so than the actual cars themselves. Sid Watkins said himself, if the suspension part struck senna just 3mm above where it did, he would've walked away, just a freak accident and that's what happened to jules, exatcly the same as senna, you can blame Williams for his accident same as you can blame the Suzuka marshals, the FIA, whoever, it was just a freak accident.

I think you guys are all missing the point. He lost control under yellow flags. Its HIS fault. Not the FIA, not Charlie, not the SC, not the Spice Girls. Yellow flag = GO SLOWER.

And people who claim that yellow flags are just an excuse to catch up should be removed from the race track.

C'mon man, every single driver out there does it and if you don't think they do, then your mistaken. The fact of the matter is he didnt hit a Marshall so they shift the blame to jules, therefore able to not need such a thorough investigation and keep there "safe" sport title on tact. Yeah it was a yellow flag and he should have slowed but the fact of the matter is no driver really slows and the race director knows that,everyone knows that so not able to "control" a yellow flag situation falls on there shoulders for not psyically forcing the slow down procedure. They do know with the virtual safety car but it comes after the result it's now trying to prevent. So IMO the safety car should have been out as it now makes a mockery of all other red flagged wet situations. That's the big picture. If the crane wasnt there or a safety car came out, we wouldn't be having this coversation as he would've walked away so IMO the FIA has to hold the responsibility as its there job.

I tend to agree somewhat that if was Jules fault for not slowing down. However I have heard rumours that Manor had told him to speed up to catch up to the rest of the grid. At the end of the day, it was an unfortunate accident. We've seen lots of drivers speed up to hit the pits or do different things during the safety cars.

I saw some footage recently whilst watch the Spanish news out of Madrid. I'd never see the footage before but it showed the impact clear as day from the other side of the crane. It was sickening and brutal. Have you guys seen this footage? I certainly hadn't seen it until he passed away and then they showed it.

No I didn't realise there was any footage. The sad thing is I bet if you go on youtube and start typing 'Jules...' it'll proably auto-populate with 'fatal accident' cos everyone wants to see stuff like that

I saw the footage last night, it is nasty and I don't think a closed c#ckpit would have saved him. I was surprised at the speed of the impact, and I think perhaps the recovery vehicles should be built/modified so that an F1 car cant go underneath them. Jules' head could have been taken right off by that impact.

Yeah the footage is immensely sickening. Any other time period, Jules would have been killed instantly, but the safety of modern F1 really is better. Seeing the car go under the recovery crane and then keep going due to momentum, from watching the footage alone, you'd be convinced the driver was killed instantly. In effect he was killed then and there. But modern science and medicine kept his body alive for quite awhile.