Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Ayrton Senna

I ask this question as iam curious on the answers I'll get. Where do YOU rate Ayrton Senna and why? For me, greatest driver I have ever seen to date and was so bloody fast. To me, he was the closest thing to the "perfect" driver and just shaves Schumacher in that reguard. How do you take Ayrton Senna and his legacy he left behind?

I ask this question as iam curious on the answers I'll get. Where do YOU rate Ayrton Senna and why? For me, greatest driver I have ever seen to date and was so bloody fast. To me, he was the closest thing to the "perfect" driver and just shaves Schumacher in that reguard. How do you take Ayrton Senna and his legacy he left behind?

In a rating from F1racing from a few years ago, he also just shaved Schumie as the greatest ever. I think Senna's unfortunate death actually added and elevated him to this status. I did'nt follow F1 religously back then, just followed the occasional race but his name was already great then, but I remember the great sadness the day he died....

Senna had great moments, especially the qualifying where he blew his teammate away at Monaco, his speed were mesmerising....BUT..... like Schumie, I always felt they were at the right place at the right time with their machinery. I'm not uncomfortable with the title of him being the greatest, not just sure if that mantle is more deserving to a driver like Fangio etc...

Statistically Schumi is better but on sheer natural speed, senna was quicker than anyone, he was hugely controversial but most great drivers are as there pushing the limits on not only there cars but the rules and the sport in general. But what people don't realise is that before senna got in f1 he had Ron Dennis wanting to sign him and pay for his races in lower categories. But he refused as he wanted to get to f1 on his own terms and not be "controlled" so he chose toleman. I don't beleive senna when he sayes Schumi and Benetton had traction control. This doesn't explain the lack of pace of verstappen for that season and both cars couldn't be that different in terms of having TC or not as the were audited all there telementary plus thorough inspection of both cars and it came back inconclusive. Weather the car did have TC or not, the point is that if Ayrton ever got beaten, he was adamant they were cheating.

Ummm Alan Jones was more a complete driver, I think he would have easily been a 2 time world champion in 1981 if things went his way, he was tough, balsy and didn't care about what anyone thought of him, and he did it the hard way, so for me it's Alan Jones

Alan jones was only good in a damn good car and then again that window of orportunity was very small. He did the job but IMO not even in the top 5

Here's my table and how I look at it.

Top 5 on Pure Speed

1- Ayrton Senna

2-Michael Schumacher

3-Jim Clark

4-Mika Hakkinen

5-Alain Prost

Top five engineer drivers

1-Michael Schumacher

2-Ayrton Senna

3-Niki Lauda

4-Nigel Mansell

5-Alain Prost

Top 5 complete drivers

1-Ayrton Senna

2-Michael Schumacher

3-Nigel Mansell

4-Alain Prost

5-Fernando Alonso

That's just a quick look at how I see it, it's hard because some drivers do things in certain areas, better than other drivers also.

I dont feel I can comment really cos I've only been watching f1 since 1998

Well why don't you do a list of drivers you know and seen. Be intresting to see other peoples take on things.

Well since 1998 for me:

1 - Schumacher (not Ralf)

2 - Hakkinen

3 - Alonso

4 - Vettel

5 - Hamiton

Good list, 1998, god damn Mika Hakkinen was fast that year. I mean woah. He was that bloody fast out the gate even coulthard who had the same car struggled to keep up and DC was an already well established driver by then. But then you could see just how hard Michael Schumacher was pushing just to keep up was astonishing. Saw some of schumis best ever driving that season IMO. But on sheer speed that year, you couldn't put anything between Schumacher and Hakkinen could you?

For me, Alan Jones is the most under rated world champion ever, I honestly thought he was fantastic, Kimi Raikkonen is easily the most over rated world champion, I don't think much of him, he was very quick in 03, 04 n 05, but I think his best days are long gone, I would have loved to have seen Alonso in that 2012 or the 2013 lotus, I dont think he would have won the title, but gosh, he would have come close