Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Where Did This Driver Go?

He understeered of quite a lot due to lack of grip but kubica wasn't having any of it. Good battle though.

When I think of rain battles, I think of Spa 2008. Kimi vs Hamilton was great. Was completely gutted when Kimi span off. Would have meant he'd have won that race 4x times in a row, and then 5x with 2009 great win.

There are those races that stick out in ones mind where you'd trade anything to change just one thing.

Nurburgring 2005 is at the top of the list for me.

Spa 2008 is right up there too.

If we're talking rain races in general, here's my list of the greatest drives I ever saw.

1- Schumacher, Spain 1996

2- Schumacher, Spa 1995

3- Senna, Donington 1993

4- Schumacher, Monaco 1997

5- Schumacher, Silverstone 1998

I know there mainly Schumacher but in all honesty, I always thought schumi was better than senna in the wet. When schumi was in his prime and we had a wet race, we knew he would be the fastest and I haven't seen a driver since who can drive like he did in the wet.

If we're talking rain races in general, here's my list of the greatest drives I ever saw.

1- Schumacher, Spain 1996

2- Schumacher, Spa 1995

3- Senna, Donington 1993

4- Schumacher, Monaco 1997

5- Schumacher, Silverstone 1998

I know there mainly Schumacher but in all honesty, I always thought schumi was better than senna in the wet. When schumi was in his prime and we had a wet race, we knew he would be the fastest and I haven't seen a driver since who can drive like he did in the wet.

Yeah, Schumie was also the best racer for me in the rain, closely followed by Hamilton and Button, then Vettel...

When I think of rain battles, I think of Spa 2008. Kimi vs Hamilton was great. Was completely gutted when Kimi span off. Would have meant he'd have won that race 4x times in a row, and then 5x with 2009 great win.

Man, gutted when he spun out. Was one of the best wheel to wheel combats EVER! I remember also having "battle" with the Hamilton fans on the other side of the sportsbar, we screamed our lungs out supporting our respective driver

Raikkonen used to be ridiculously quick back in the Mclaren days didn't he? Biggest mistake he made was to leave IMO. If he stayed on, he could've been at least a double world champion IMO.

There's no way to know that WebRic. And in all honesty, he should have been a 2x Champ before 2006. After 2005, you'd think 2006 would have been another great year for McLaren, but the highlight was seeing Kimi in full race gear walk away from his smoldering car and onto a yacht at Monaco.

Thus having gone through all of that, Ferrari wanted him and I can imagine it looked like a pretty good option. 2007 wasn't a bad year for Kimi.

There's no way he would've won a title before 2007 IMO. Renault and Ferrari were just to strong and the fragile yet quick Mclaren just didn't have the strength. He would've won in 2007 and 2008 IMO.

What are you talking about. 2003 and 2005 where well within reach to be won. 2003 was an epic season. Show me a driver who did that good in a car nearly 2 years old? It's unheard of. And 2005 is legendary. So yes he could quite have easily been a 2x Champ before 2007.

Yea but he didn't though, we have gone from "what if" to what "actually happened". It could've been possible he might have been champion before 2007 if certain things didn't happen,

But Schumacher could be an 8 or 9x champion but he isn't. So I think he could have been champion in 2007 and 2008, prior, no because it didn't happen that way. But it's cool man, that's your opinion so Iam cool with that.

I read the other day an interesting point that Prost's career was 10 points away from having 7 WDC's instead of 4! And, if they didn't have that stupid 'only the best 15 results count' or whatever it was in the 80's, he would've actually been 1988 WDC too.

Kimi should've been 2005 WDC, and would've been if it weren't for mclarens useless gearbox that kept failing

V8 Supercars had a rediculous rule where you could scrap your worst results but that info on Prost is interesting indeed.

I read the other day an interesting point that Prost's career was 10 points away from having 7 WDC's instead of 4! And, if they didn't have that stupid 'only the best 15 results count' or whatever it was in the 80's, he would've actually been 1988 WDC too.

Kimi should've been 2005 WDC, and would've been if it weren't for mclarens useless gearbox that kept failing

Such a sweet and sour year in F1 for me. Yes he should have been the champ. He went for it 110% regardless of how fragile the car was. Alonso played it safe and ran the numbers. He won. But when most think of 2005 they think of Kimi, McLaren, Suzuka, Nurburg. He deserved it, but it wasn't to be.

Not sure if ur joking webric......Kimi was usually the fastest package in '05 whereas Irv was usually 3rd fastest after Schu & Hakkinen, but benefited from mclarens constant mistakes or break-downs, plus a gifted win from Salo and another from Schu in Malaysia. Don't get me wrong, as a brit I was gutted when he didn't end up winning it!

Course Iam joking bro, he didn't have it in him simple as that. Schumi should have been 97 champ IMO despite the whole Jerez debacle, he was the fastest driver that year IMO.