Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Magnussen To Take Maldonado's 2016 Seat?

Yea not someone who just pays the bills. I also read somewhere that they made alonso an offer to come back, weather its true or not.

That's true, it will be another element of f1 gone, since we don't get hardly any engine failures or overtakes anymore as bs penalties for the slightest bit of contact discourages the driver to make moves that would have been attempted say ten years ago.

Yeah I read that, well if he hasn't paid then boot him, he doesn't hold enough merit IMO to be there based of skill.

Isn't Total a French oil company that sponsors Renault? I wonder how they would possibly mix with PDVSA the Venezuelan oil company who sponsors Maldonado?

I hope that Magnussen gets the ride from either Maldonado or Palmer, but preferably Chrashtors seat.

Isn't Total a French oil company that sponsors Renault? I wonder how they would possibly mix with PDVSA the Venezuelan oil company who sponsors Maldonado?

I hope that Magnussen gets the ride from either Maldonado or Palmer, but preferably Chrashtors seat.

Good point but didn't TOTAL pull out not to long ago? Or am I thinking of something else? You think Maldonado would be a good teplacemt for Hamilton?

A one time Grand Prix winner, replacing a driver who has won 43 F1 races, and also a...3XWDC...who still hasn't yet reached his prime.......Naaaah...I hardly think so.

You think Lewis got those results by battling away like schumi did or senna did back in the day?

Hasn't reached his prime? His best year was his first and he hasn't been able to replicate that quality of driving since, but that's my opinion.

second that one mate......... Glamour boy will pay this year........I Hope and hope that his team mate wipes the floor with him

Me too. Knowing my boy Kimi ain't going to win it, I'm gunning for Vettel, but moreso Nico, because we all know Merc are going to murder the other teams again this year even if Ferrari improve. Especially with Hamilton's driving skills. Oh no!, no no no, it's not the car, it's all him. I promise. He could fall asleep in that car and he'd still win. He could put his brother in that car, and it's might still win. You could put Maldonado in that car, and he'd crash then win, and then crash hahahaha

So go Nico. Because I want something different. And for F1 to pretend it isn't a forgone conclusion whose going to win all the races, titles and so on.

Me too. Knowing my boy Kimi ain't going to win it, I'm gunning for Vettel, but moreso Nico, because we all know Merc are going to murder the other teams again this year even if Ferrari improve. Especially with Hamilton's driving skills. Oh no!, no no no, it's not the car, it's all him. I promise. He could fall asleep in that car and he'd still win. He could put his brother in that car, and it's might still win. You could put Maldonado in that car, and he'd crash then win, and then crash hahahaha

So go Nico. Because I want something different. And for F1 to pretend it isn't a forgone conclusion whose going to win all the races, titles and so on.

says who? Don't give up the faith brother

Don't give up faith? Lmao, having hope for kimi is still like thinking webber could've won the title anytime after 2010, we want it to happen but it simply won't.

But back to the "Lewis and his prime" comment, the only time Lewis have ever driven with any class or solid mindset was his first season and that's the truth. Back then he had his farther to keep him in check mentally and that showed big time on the circuit. The first few races we saw him in f1, he was the greatest talent the sport had ever seen and that's the god honest truth also. But since splitting with his dad and parting ways with mclaren, yeah he has won races and titles but IMO he has long lost that aura that surrounded him when he first came in and for that IMO, he hasn't driven on the level we first saw him when he entered the sport and with such dominant machinery now, looks a lot better than he actually is. Look when he gets rocked, even with the best car he fails to win and that's his Achilles heel, his mentality and everyone knows it. Even if he gets stronger in that area, everyone will still try have a dig at him, if Lewis approached his racing now like he did when he first entered the sport and drove the same, I'd have bucket loads more respect for him, but since the mentality of "oh my god iam here" compared to "I deserve to be here" has gone to his head, I'll just forever see him as a driver in the right place at the right time, nothing more. Now shoot me down for being honest.

I am undoubtedly alone in opining that Magnussen is no real upgrade. He was substantially worse than Pérez at McLaren in terms of matching Button. His absence in 2015 was completely unnoticed by me.

Button outscored Magnussen 126 to 55 in 2014. 73 to 49 over Pérez in 2013. I realize Magnussen was a rookie, whereas Pérez was a third-year driver, but even still. He was as mediocre as they get, but everyone decided he was a superstar because the F1 media told them he was a superstar a few years before he made it to F1.

In the intervening time, he had superstar-ed his way to 7th in Formula Renault 3.5 as a rookie, beaten in the standings by a guy who missed the first five races—and beaten by some margin, at that. Until Stoffel Vandoorne hit a stretch of unlucky retirements, he was about to lose the 2013 title to him. Vandoorne was a rookie; Magnussen was the experienced one.

There is nothing special about Magnussen. There is nothing bad about him. He's not worth being excited over. He's not worth being upset over.

As for the comment about Renault not needing Maldonado's money, hardly. Big company, sure, but F1's expensive. You can always use Maldonado's money. The problem isn't that they don't need it and can get a better driver. The problem is that nationalized oil companies aren't really enjoying the current oil prices, jeopardizing whether there is any money at all. Maldonado with $0 and Magnussen with $0 probably comes out with Magnussen, because the stewards call Maldonado on so many things based on reputation (not saying he's never wrong, but they never call any other driver for doing the same things Maldonado does), which hurts the team's already slim chances of scoring points (weighed down by a Renault power unit and Jolyon Palmer). But if there's any way Maldonado can bring funding, they'll keep him.

Are you serious? Given his experience, he was the best rookie in the field in 2014 with maybe the exception of Kvyat, but that's up to each individual like I suppose. But IMO he gave Jenson a decent run when he had the ability to do so. Much better driver than his father ever was and many forget he scored a podium in his debut race, severely underrated IMO, you compare him on results in lower categories and I agree he didn't set the world on fire but neither did Mark Webber, he never won a title in anything except an Aussie karting title and look at the high reguard people place him in now. Yeah he just won the WEC title but the point Ian trying to make is that there have been plenty of "mediocre" drivers in lower categories that when on to excel on f1 but also a lot the other way around. How many have we seen in lower categories classed as the next "Schumacher" or "senna" only to be completely bamboozled when getting to f1. Martin Brundle is a great example of this, blitzed almost everyone in lower categories and gave senna a damn good run also but come f1, blah, yeah he didn't get the same opportunities as senna but what I've learned from Motorsport, competing and watching is you sleep on the bed you make. In other words, if your good enough and deep down believe you are without any alternative thoughts creeping in and build on that mentality, you'll get what you want, it always goes to who wants it bad enough and that rule applies to every aspect in life. So when other drivers say they didn't get the same "chances" it's simply because they didn't deserve it. Imo if Mclaren weren't in this "rebuilding" phase with a new engine, Magnussen would've had the seat alongside alonso and I truely believe that, it's his lack of experience that left out of a job and it's as simple as that.

I am undoubtedly alone in opining that Magnussen is no real upgrade. He was substantially worse than Pérez at McLaren in terms of matching Button. His absence in 2015 was completely unnoticed by me.

Button outscored Magnussen 126 to 55 in 2014. 73 to 49 over Pérez in 2013. I realize Magnussen was a rookie, whereas Pérez was a third-year driver, but even still. He was as mediocre as they get, but everyone decided he was a superstar because the F1 media told them he was a superstar a few years before he made it to F1.

In the intervening time, he had superstar-ed his way to 7th in Formula Renault 3.5 as a rookie, beaten in the standings by a guy who missed the first five races—and beaten by some margin, at that. Until Stoffel Vandoorne hit a stretch of unlucky retirements, he was about to lose the 2013 title to him. Vandoorne was a rookie; Magnussen was the experienced one.

There is nothing special about Magnussen. There is nothing bad about him. He's not worth being excited over. He's not worth being upset over.

As for the comment about Renault not needing Maldonado's money, hardly. Big company, sure, but F1's expensive. You can always use Maldonado's money. The problem isn't that they don't need it and can get a better driver. The problem is that nationalized oil companies aren't really enjoying the current oil prices, jeopardizing whether there is any money at all. Maldonado with $0 and Magnussen with $0 probably comes out with Magnussen, because the stewards call Maldonado on so many things based on reputation (not saying he's never wrong, but they never call any other driver for doing the same things Maldonado does), which hurts the team's already slim chances of scoring points (weighed down by a Renault power unit and Jolyon Palmer). But if there's any way Maldonado can bring funding, they'll keep him.

My sentiments, exactly. Except you failed to mention that Magnussen also has a weird head shape which only makes things worse.

Maybe no one, we might actually have a field now worthy of being part of the driving elite.

Glad I chose not to buy Canadian GP tickets. Without Maldonado, there is no reason to be there.

Watch Esteban Gutiérrez on-board. The guy misses every single apex that he can think of missing. He is not a good driver. Marcus Ericsson is horrible, and I truly believe the 2015 Sauber, in the hands of some former Sauber stars, could've scored so many more points. Toro Rosso also had a better car than Sainz, who dreadfully got beaten by a 17-year-old with one year of car racing experience (whereas Sainz has been in formula cars, not winning much, for what feels like a decade). Jolyon Palmer is less qualified to be in F1 than Pastor Maldonado; both won GP2 titles due to high seniority and weak fields, but Palmer's was weakest of all. Palmer could barely score race wins in his dad's own series. He's only had success in absolutely pitiful series like F2. If Alexander Rossi (the man who spent more time in GP2/FR3.5 than Maldonado, yet still cannot get near enough to the title he was supposed to win years ago), Will Stevens, Roberto Merhi, or Rio Haryanto are at Manor, they are all less qualified to be in F1 than Maldonado.

There are times when Maldonado has bad judgment. There are times when he absolutely sank Williams in 2012, despite them having a great car. But there are also times when Maldonado is treated very unfairly by the FIA based on his reputation. The guy's junior record at Monaco, a very, very, very tough track, one you'd think a driver as imprecise as Maldonado would struggle on, is amazing. Three wins there. At the end of 2015, Maldonado put together his most consistent streak yet from Singapore through Brazil.

It all comes back to the fact he was hated by fans from day one for bringing the wrong kind of money (no matter how much malice there is toward "ride-buyers" or "pay-drivers," it is always extra if they aren't from the right country. Note people don't spend a lot of time fussing about other "not necessarily on merit" ways of getting into F1, like using your dad's connections. Oh, no. That's totally fine, and mediocre Magnussen is a hero). Maldonado's passport got him to F1, and it damned him among the fans.

Glad I chose not to buy Canadian GP tickets. Without Maldonado, there is no reason to be there.

Watch Esteban Gutiérrez on-board. The guy misses every single apex that he can think of missing. He is not a good driver. Marcus Ericsson is horrible, and I truly believe the 2015 Sauber, in the hands of some former Sauber stars, could've scored so many more points. Toro Rosso also had a better car than Sainz, who dreadfully got beaten by a 17-year-old with one year of car racing experience (whereas Sainz has been in formula cars, not winning much, for what feels like a decade). Jolyon Palmer is less qualified to be in F1 than Pastor Maldonado; both won GP2 titles due to high seniority and weak fields, but Palmer's was weakest of all. Palmer could barely score race wins in his dad's own series. He's only had success in absolutely pitiful series like F2. If Alexander Rossi (the man who spent more time in GP2/FR3.5 than Maldonado, yet still cannot get near enough to the title he was supposed to win years ago), Will Stevens, Roberto Merhi, or Rio Haryanto are at Manor, they are all less qualified to be in F1 than Maldonado.

There are times when Maldonado has bad judgment. There are times when he absolutely sank Williams in 2012, despite them having a great car. But there are also times when Maldonado is treated very unfairly by the FIA based on his reputation. The guy's junior record at Monaco, a very, very, very tough track, one you'd think a driver as imprecise as Maldonado would struggle on, is amazing. Three wins there. At the end of 2015, Maldonado put together his most consistent streak yet from Singapore through Brazil.

It all comes back to the fact he was hated by fans from day one for bringing the wrong kind of money (no matter how much malice there is toward "ride-buyers" or "pay-drivers," it is always extra if they aren't from the right country. Note people don't spend a lot of time fussing about other "not necessarily on merit" ways of getting into F1, like using your dad's connections. Oh, no. That's totally fine, and mediocre Magnussen is a hero). Maldonado's passport got him to F1, and it damned him among the fans.

Glad to see you back posting