Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Magnussen To Take Maldonado's 2016 Seat?

Time will tell I suppose. I think Kvyat is still the youngest, so by default he can be the new whipping boy haha

No verstappen is.

Glad I chose not to buy Canadian GP tickets. Without Maldonado, there is no reason to be there.

Watch Esteban Gutiérrez on-board. The guy misses every single apex that he can think of missing. He is not a good driver. Marcus Ericsson is horrible, and I truly believe the 2015 Sauber, in the hands of some former Sauber stars, could've scored so many more points. Toro Rosso also had a better car than Sainz, who dreadfully got beaten by a 17-year-old with one year of car racing experience (whereas Sainz has been in formula cars, not winning much, for what feels like a decade). Jolyon Palmer is less qualified to be in F1 than Pastor Maldonado; both won GP2 titles due to high seniority and weak fields, but Palmer's was weakest of all. Palmer could barely score race wins in his dad's own series. He's only had success in absolutely pitiful series like F2. If Alexander Rossi (the man who spent more time in GP2/FR3.5 than Maldonado, yet still cannot get near enough to the title he was supposed to win years ago), Will Stevens, Roberto Merhi, or Rio Haryanto are at Manor, they are all less qualified to be in F1 than Maldonado.

There are times when Maldonado has bad judgment. There are times when he absolutely sank Williams in 2012, despite them having a great car. But there are also times when Maldonado is treated very unfairly by the FIA based on his reputation. The guy's junior record at Monaco, a very, very, very tough track, one you'd think a driver as imprecise as Maldonado would struggle on, is amazing. Three wins there. At the end of 2015, Maldonado put together his most consistent streak yet from Singapore through Brazil.

It all comes back to the fact he was hated by fans from day one for bringing the wrong kind of money (no matter how much malice there is toward "ride-buyers" or "pay-drivers," it is always extra if they aren't from the right country. Note people don't spend a lot of time fussing about other "not necessarily on merit" ways of getting into F1, like using your dad's connections. Oh, no. That's totally fine, and mediocre Magnussen is a hero). Maldonado's passport got him to F1, and it damned him among the fans.

Saint disnt get beaten by verstappen, technically he did on points but he suffered so many more issues than Max verstappen did. IMO, they were the most evenly matched pair in the whole field. People have to understand that in certain situations, points don't tell the whole story.

Glad I chose not to buy Canadian GP tickets. Without Maldonado, there is no reason to be there.

Watch Esteban Gutiérrez on-board. The guy misses every single apex that he can think of missing. He is not a good driver. Marcus Ericsson is horrible, and I truly believe the 2015 Sauber, in the hands of some former Sauber stars, could've scored so many more points. Toro Rosso also had a better car than Sainz, who dreadfully got beaten by a 17-year-old with one year of car racing experience (whereas Sainz has been in formula cars, not winning much, for what feels like a decade). Jolyon Palmer is less qualified to be in F1 than Pastor Maldonado; both won GP2 titles due to high seniority and weak fields, but Palmer's was weakest of all. Palmer could barely score race wins in his dad's own series. He's only had success in absolutely pitiful series like F2. If Alexander Rossi (the man who spent more time in GP2/FR3.5 than Maldonado, yet still cannot get near enough to the title he was supposed to win years ago), Will Stevens, Roberto Merhi, or Rio Haryanto are at Manor, they are all less qualified to be in F1 than Maldonado.

There are times when Maldonado has bad judgment. There are times when he absolutely sank Williams in 2012, despite them having a great car. But there are also times when Maldonado is treated very unfairly by the FIA based on his reputation. The guy's junior record at Monaco, a very, very, very tough track, one you'd think a driver as imprecise as Maldonado would struggle on, is amazing. Three wins there. At the end of 2015, Maldonado put together his most consistent streak yet from Singapore through Brazil.

It all comes back to the fact he was hated by fans from day one for bringing the wrong kind of money (no matter how much malice there is toward "ride-buyers" or "pay-drivers," it is always extra if they aren't from the right country. Note people don't spend a lot of time fussing about other "not necessarily on merit" ways of getting into F1, like using your dad's connections. Oh, no. That's totally fine, and mediocre Magnussen is a hero). Maldonado's passport got him to F1, and it damned him among the fans.

Maldonado was hated for his antics on the track. Specifically crashing into Hamilton on purpose at Spa. The pay driver aspect only added to the dislike of the guy, but had he not been such an arrogant up himself driver whose talent was no where near what he thought of himself, he could have been more liked. Being a pay driver isn't a sin, but it means that driver then has to really excel for the fans to take a liking to them. You could almost argue that Alonso is sort of a pay driver since his sponsors have dictated quite a bit in his career, especially having Kimi pushed out with one year to go on his contract.

At any rate, Maldonado's problem is his attitude. GRO got it right with all of his crashes and wasn't arrogant about it. He put his head down, worked hard an ultimately shut up and got on with it. He turned about the negative perception of his talents and crashes. Maldondo hasn't done that. Not only that, he slated Williams after he left, and has not ONCE taken charge of any of his accidents. He's like Perez and Massa. It's always the other guys fault.

The truth is really no one is going to miss him accept for the crashes and incidents. He will join a massive list of ex F1 drivers and that's about it. The fact he got 1x race in F1 is more to the fact that particular year was a complete lottery with the tyres. None of the teams could work them out. He hasn't shown anything of spark of value since then.

Adios Amigo

Yeah well said, his own attitude has played a massive part.

Just thinking, don't manor have a spare seat left that Magnussen was going for? Just got a funny feeling it's not the last we'll see of Mr Maldonado. Iam sure manor would take the gamble on weather his sponsorship funds will come through or not. If he does go he should become the FIA crash dummy for testing the crash structures on f1 cars, he is bloody good at that.

But it was a bit unexpected for me! Too soon, so young! We will remember you Pastor!

PS. Did you notice less yellow color on new Renault car ? Team is expecting less crashes so no need to color parts in bright yellow (to be more visible in grass).

Nah thats just an interim livery, Renault said that and I Don't know why it wasn't mentioned but that's apparently NOT the livery they will be running and thank god if it's true, can't stand anymore black cars, go something brighter.

Best news I've heard for some time. The Dane is a good quick racer and will probably outscore both McLaren pedlars.

I doubt it, I expect Renault to have similar issues with what they had last season with red bull. At least red ill has received help from Ilmor and they have said to have already found the issues in reliability and performance. But we have to wait and see I guess. As for Magnussen, I to am quite happy with this result, he certainly deserves another shot at f1.

Best news of the pre-season for me.

Magnussen and Maldonado would be a good lineup. Palmer is awful. I will post an apology if Palmer scores a single point this year. I don't expect to have to write it, though.

Idk but I do know his farther holds pretty high credability in Motorsport and is an ex driver so palmer would've had experience in f1 before even turning a wheel due to his fathers input. Based of what I've seen, I think it will be extremely close between him and kevin, just my opinion.