Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Wehrlein To Race For Manor This Season.

News has it that Pascal Wehrlein has signed with manor for this season, so who do you think will line up next to him? Rossi,Merhi,Haryanto,Maldonado or someone else?
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/553199/Wehrlein_to_race_with_Manor_in_2016_F1/

Maldonado's confirmed it won't be him, as do his finances. He has $0.00. He did not lose the Renault ride because Renault chose "talent" over "money;" he lost the Renault ride because if Magnussen could bring even $0.01, it was more than Maldonado.

Haryanto seems to be in the best spot. He doesn't have enough money yet, but his not enough is a higher not enough than Rossi's or Merhi's.

Wehrlein comes in with a ton of hype. I'm not sold on him. So, he'll probably turn out to be a WDC.

In any event, Mercedes putting him in at Manor is definitely a move that Rosberg has to wonder about.

Just shows how talent can even overcome money because if schumi had no money, I bet my bottom dollar teams would still sign him wouldn't they? I know I've said in the past that smaller teams make f1 but this is the highest level of motor racing, if you need to sign drivers who talent wise wouldn't even make it in the first place due to the sponsorship money, then the question has to be raised, can they afford f1 at all. Teams should be able to finance there own budget and not rely on sponsorship as it only further discredits the sport IMO. But "Massa" who out of those drivers mentioned deserves the spot? Who is quickest? It's between Rossi and Haryanto IMO. Rossi showed some quick speed late last season and I don't really know to much about Haryanto but I know Wehrlein was fairly dominant in Dtm.

Rossi is probably the best of the drivers, given he's had a lot of experience in the F1 paddock, tons of years in junior formulae, and a few race weekends with Manor. He is not so substantially better than Haryanto that it would be a big crime for Haryanto to get it over Rossi, though. Both are guys who needed some years in a thinning GP2 field to get good results. Admittedly, Rossi was better in GP2 sooner, but also came into GP2 with a lot more experience (FR3.5), whereas Haryanto came right out of GP3 (where he was 5th in 2010 behind Rossi, P4, so they were pretty equal then at a time they had near-even experience).

Rossi's a bit more consistent, though, and I think Haryanto would have a learning curve. On the other hand, I favor Haryanto because I live in the U. S., and would rather not have the U. S. broadcast shouting about how great Rossi is. :P (Especially when it's so disingenuous; the announcers in the U. S. are an Australian and three Brits, who don't actually believe Rossi is any good, but say it because the director tells them to).