Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2016 Ferrari

Gap to lead by Ferrari after qualifications could use some explanation. Qualification is over, and Seb has his job cut out for him. Both drivers have significantly slowed down when it counted.

Does anyone think that hulkenberg has genuine pace for race distance? Hope he can atleast get his first ever podium tomorrow. Jenson Button should shut a few up who think he is over the hill, he thrives in those conditions and have given him a few of his wins in those conditions also by being in the right tyre at the right time.

Gap to lead has been explained by Seb (confirmed by Kimi).

Nothing wrong with the car. We were too conservative (I gather fear to touch kerbs or skidding off track). In hindsight, track was drying rapidly, laps later in the session were speeding up, and Ferrari did not realized that until it was late.

Tires might make huge influence on the race results.

4 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Does anyone think that hulkenberg has genuine pace for race distance? Hope he can atleast get his first ever podium tomorrow. Jenson Button should shut a few up who think he is over the hill, he thrives in those conditions and have given him a few of his wins in those conditions also by being in the right tyre at the right time.

Nah, don't think so, Hulk and Button got lucky with the weather situations which both of them thrive in. In Baku Perez got lucky to be on the podium, this is different... I don't think Hulk will be able to with Rosberg, Vettel and Ric behind him

How was Perez lucky to be on the podium in Baku? He was faster than everyone else behind him. He even passed kimi on track to proove he deserved the podium instead of inherited it through kimis penalty.

back in Austria, Mercedes a fearing that Ferrari might finally have outsmarted them on tyre strategy.

5 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

How was Perez lucky to be on the podium in Baku? He was faster than everyone else behind him. He even passed kimi on track to proove he deserved the podium instead of inherited it through kimis penalty.

back in Austria, Mercedes a fearing that Ferrari might finally have outsmarted them on tyre strategy.

You answered your own q all in one sentence. If Kimi or Hamilton did'nt have problems he would'nt have

Well true but those did happen, I know Lewis had issues but kimi looked pretty quick to me, just wrong tyre strategy from Ferrari, but Perez had the pace IMO as he was fast in qually to. Perez has really overshadowed the once much loved hulkenberg hasn't he? Hulk seems to qualify real well but Perez always seems to outrace him, Iam hoping hulkenberg gets his first podium.

21 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

Well true but those did happen, I know Lewis had issues but kimi looked pretty quick to me, just wrong tyre strategy from Ferrari, but Perez had the pace IMO as he was fast in qually to. Perez has really overshadowed the once much loved hulkenberg hasn't he? Hulk seems to qualify real well but Perez always seems to outrace him, Iam hoping hulkenberg gets his first podium.

Besides probs and wrong strategy, Kimi was also in fuel saving mode. If Kimi resigns Perez are my fav to replace him. Grosjean 2nd. Can you believe how much they've grown after their dismal starts to their career, being labelled as crashboys.

Especially grosjean, he has matured into a driver any team would hire, Perez was always quick, just irratic in his results but he has put a few solid ones together this year.

After superb FP3 to see now Sebastian in P9 on the grid is really difficult for me to digest without wanting to violently revolt. Can't say I would remember that something like that happened to Michael Schumacher. Times have changed, and maybe I didn't.

Seb did say he was some what conservative compared to those ahead of him. Schumacher has started from the back a few times and done very well. Spa 1995 comes to mind, starting 15th or 16th and went on to win

In 1995 technology and driving techniques were different. Today only Mercedes has technology superiority which permits overtaking, otherwise for others differences in lap times are marginal, not to say, cars cannot follow each other for too long, because tires get destroyed. Conditions are riped for bomb-diving techniques, namely, move out of my way, otherwise we crash. (Mansell).

Yeah well you do make a point there, i thought you couldn't remember any races where Schumacher suffered luck like Vettel and went on to do well. That's the impression I was under.

Has anyone the same impression that Ferrari's strategists might be actually working for one or two competing teams, instead for Maranello?

Sebastian and his blown tires becoming annual tradition. 

Iam looking at Mercedes and Verstappen, that's the second race now that Rosberg has made a mistake or got into trouble and Max has been able to swoop by and take the position. It happened in Canada when Nico dropped it coming into the final chicane and now Austria. Is Max a future Mercedes boy and the team is helping his image by giving him positions? Lol just think about it lol.

10 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Iam looking at Mercedes and Verstappen, that's the second race now that Rosberg has made a mistake or got into trouble and Max has been able to swoop by and take the position. It happened in Canada when Nico dropped it coming into the final chicane and now Austria. Is Max a future Mercedes boy and the team is helping his image by giving him positions? Lol just think about it lol.

Based on reasoning described at length in Mercedes thread, I do disagree that Rosberg committed an error. I perceive him as being victim of his team's scheming (strategy Publius so aptly interpreted), and Hamilton's unrestricted aggressiveness, while reliability issues with brakes that Wollf was referring to, is just icing on the cake. MV stands on his own. Mercedes has nothing to do with him IMO. Where was DR in comparison to Max?

I'm over hearing about Mercs supposed brake problems and all sorts of issues that apparently have beset their cars, all happening in the final laps. It's BS from Wolff plain and simple. It's about as effective as saying they see Williams or the other teams as a threat. Or that they don't know how they will do on a circuit. Again all BS. They know full well they have an unbeatable performance margin. And these brake failures and other things where their drivers are nursing home cars to finish... again Im not buying it. Wolff is attempting to make it out like Merc are really working hard and barely just scraping by with these wins. Even blind freddie can see thats not the case.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Based on reasoning described at length in Mercedes thread, I do disagree that Rosberg committed an error. I perceive him as being victim of his team's scheming (strategy Publius so aptly interpreted), and Hamilton's unrestricted aggressiveness, while reliability issues with brakes that Wollf was referring to, is just icing on the cake. MV stands on his own. Mercedes has nothing to do with him IMO. Where was DR in comparison to Max?

I also think rosberg didn't do anything wrong, just funny how max has been the one on the receiving end twice now of rosberg incidents. As for dan, he struggled with tyres from the word go, just like Seb did, it makes me wonder why there seems to be such decrepancies between teammates and tyres at certain tracks. You were the first to mention it Sakae with Seb and since then we have seen it affect Mercedes and redbull. It's impossible to make every tyre the exact same as the previous but I think the decrepancies are larger than they need to be. I also understand some drivers may be better at certain tracks on there tyres than there teammates but the descrepancy is to big and to inconsistant. We saw this in the early Michelin days when Michelin effectively made two types of tyres, one for Williams and the others for other Michelin users, Bridgestone did the same with Ferrari.

Keeping tab on WDC:

1. Sebastian and Kimi both have 96 points after Austria.

2. Both drivers do have mathematical chance to win WDC.

3. Requirement for either Ferrari boy is to win every race henceforth. 

- if Rosberg ends up in P2 every race going forward, Seb or Kimi would overtake him in points after the US race (with 3 more races to go)

- if Hamilton ends up in P2 every race going forward, Seb or Kimi would overtake him in points after the Malaysian race (with 5 more races to go)

Conclusion - Mercedes boys must be taken off the pedestal ASAP, being replaced by Ferrari piloti. (Easier said than done).

You look at Mercedes but, both years they have won the titles, they haven't been the best drivers and both drivers didn't take all that was possible to take. In 2014 I thought Daniel Ricciardo was the best driver in formula one given the circumstances and the car and what not. Did a much better job than both Mercedes drivers. Then in 2015 is was Sebastien Vettel, he was the best driver in formula one with the results given the circumstances and the car and being a new team and such, it's just the Mercedes is so so dominant that there drivers aren't really driving the best but can still clean up, do you understand what Iam trying to say? I also beleive if either of these two had a car like the Mercedes, they would be a lot more consistant and dominant than the current pair,just my opinion because the other thing with Lewis and nico is they have known each other since childhood so there would be that constant competitive drive against each other, meaning they will do stupid stuff just to beat the other, as we are seeing now. Why didn't Wolff tell Lewis to stay behind? 

Hamilton will be facing equipment related grid penalties, thus Nico has 11 points plus that, but also, however, the crownd behind is advancing, iota by iota. It is going to be interesting, and this realization seems to be making Torger Christian Wolff pretty nervous.

Stewards were harsh on nico, toto should told Lewis to stay behind as a result on not doing so they went from a guaranteed 1-2 finish to a 1-4. Serves them right, so obvious they want Lewis to win.