Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

2016 Haas

God I HATE these ridiculous front wing ADD ONS - ban em all I say

Bring back the smooth winglet free wings from the mid naughties. I hate the current wings. Too wide and too many addons. They brought in a rule to ban them from the chassis to clean up the look and help to improve the wake. Yet we have them on the front wing. HATE.

I relon the cars today look plain as if you take into account what add on bits they would have if they still were allowed to go bonkers like back in 2008.

The new mclaren looks like a Lego car doesn't it? But they still think it's the best chassis and it does look incredibly stable, let's just hope that dreded horse power gap is closed as reliability seems a lot better with them so far so that's one good thing I guess.

Ohh c''mon, any clown with half the experience knows it's not a walk in the park. What is he realising that they turn other ways besides left? Is that what is so completing about it? People warned him.

It has occurred to me after scanning the headlines, whether it's time to take Haas seriously as being THAT good? Perhaps they are where they are, only because the competition is managing enough of a job to make the fool of themselves. Grosjean is a good driver, but success so far seems unreal. Attrition rate probably helped a little.

The success of Hass is artificial. They plucked every bit of kit and gear from Ferrari, as much as the rules allowed it. Of course they are doing to be doing well. They won't ever win races in modern day F1, but they will get points and who knows maybe a crazy rain race day, a podium. But it's not a hard fought built from the ground up type of team. They are a customer team. That doesn't mean it's been easy, it just means all the R&D and everything else under the sun has already been paid for and done by Ferrari.

The success of Hass is artificial. They plucked every bit of kit and gear from Ferrari, as much as the rules allowed it. Of course they are doing to be doing well. They won't ever win races in modern day F1, but they will get points and who knows maybe a crazy rain race day, a podium. But it's not a hard fought built from the ground up type of team. They are a customer team. That doesn't mean it's been easy, it just means all the R&D and everything else under the sun has already been paid for and done by Ferrari.

I'd say it's a genius idea and here's why.

A brand new manufacturer can't expect to win a race or even trouble the podium for years after birth with ultra high costs. What Haas have done is use Ferrari to do the leg work so they can make points and therefore prize money. Every bit of prize money made can then be reinvested into the team for development next year, reducing the dependency on the 'parent'team year on year. They won't win anything barring a freak result in the next few years, but excluding the big three Merc, Fer & RB.. Who will?

Additionally, scoring points = brand exposure = money. In one race, let alone two Haas have made more money in prize than the last 3 new teams over the last 5 years combined.

Based on results, they must have done something right.

Even if your correct monkey, who cares? The thing that peeves me off is all this critism for Grosjean. He was the only one of the half decent drivers with balls to make such a move so I think good on him and he has come a long way that's for sure.

Well WebRic he was in Lotus at the time. A team who screwed everyone over when it came to paying the bills. Heck they fked Kimi with his performance based prize money. So him going to Haas wasn't really such a leap of faith. If he had left after Renault had come back in, and he wouldn't have, then you might have a point. But back during that time, Lotus has the creditor buzzards hovering so it was survival at that point.

Yeah that's true. But he has developed into a stunning driver compared to his early days.

One other cool thing about the Haas success early is that their chief strategist, Ruth Buscombe, is having success as one of the more visible women in the paddock. I know a lot of people on this forum won't care, but it is important. There are a lot of women in auto racing, but they're often not in the roles we most pay attention to—some of the biggest behind the scenes players in racing. It's good to see one succeeding in a position that is very important to a team, visible to the viewers, and honestly making a big contribution to the team's results.

Well, it ain't NASCAR.

Yeah—it's substantially easier. Haas had a relationship with a top NASCAR team when he first joined the Cup Series, the same we he has a relationship with Ferrari.

And, boy, did his team suck. It took about 10 years before he was even remotely competitive.

If Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson, and Brad Keselowski had trained to be F1 drivers from the start, rather than stock car drivers, there'd never be a race without the U. S. national anthem playing on the podium.

By the way, the VP of Technology at Haas F1 is Matt Borland, a successful NASCAR crew chief. You know, some dumb idiot who can only make a car turn left really slowly.

They've developed a legal business model that reduces costs, avoids taking on someone else's debt, and increases the probability of success. Aerodynamic elements aren't the only area for innovation in racing.

I don't think you can blame Haas for not wanting to sink hundreds of millions of dollars to run 21st and 22nd every week. No one wants to do that—which is why no new teams join the grid.

Maybe B-teams are an opportune answer to their internal financial issues. I could live with that solution.