Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Was Jean Alesi Under-Rated?

I ask this question as I've been watching a lot of old vhs tapes of gps I taped in the 90s and one driver it got me thinking about was Jean Alesi. IMO I feel he got the "short straw" throughout his whole career as a decision to join Ferrari instead of what would be a dominant Williams team,really set the tone for his career. But you look at what teams he drive for and what car and he somehow always made it to the pointy end of the grid and IMO was very very quick in almost any car. Who else felt he was underrated? I certainly think he was.

He was about two weeks from turning 48 when he ran the Indy 500 as a rookie.

If people still want you in a formula car at 48, you've done something right in your career.

He was a brilliant driver, even with the Sauber in 1999, even though he only scored 2 pts that year, he was always in the top 10, driving well n aggressively until something broke on that car, but yes Jean was a excellent driver, i love watching drive the Ferrari 412T2 from 1995, he always had that thing dancing n by the scruff often neck

Ahh yes him and that car was involved in one of the best overtaking moves I've ever seen.

You could've been the best driver ever and still that move wouldn't be able to be defended, great racing by the pair of them.

Always a fan of Jean Alesi. Watched him racing Senna at Phoenix (yes a few people actually went to that race) and saw his only win at Montreal. He could drive the wheels off a car, which may have been part of the problem. He had great car control. Apparently a very nice guy, and great driver, but not very thoughtful. Ended up one year having signed three different contracts. He lost a lot of money sorting that one out. I believe Eddie Jordan claimed once something like "Charming man, but insane."

In the end, there appeared to be some character shortfall that prevented him from turning all of his talent into multiple wins and a championship. I think he had the ability, but something was missing somewhere.

Yeah he chose Ferrari over Williams, that's what happened. He had the choice to join Williams just before they went on there competitive streak from 93, so I think he would've taken hills seat but he loved Ferrari and went with his heart and signed for them, u fortunately it only ever netted him one victory. Like the name Ruslan, it's one of my favourite Steven Seagal films.

Well, he actually had a signed contract with Tyrrell, then signed one with Williams, and then signed one with Ferrari....all part of the same pre-season.

I don't think I have ever watched an entire Steven Seagal film. ;)

Jean Alesi had the one thing that's lacking in current F1 driver pool - character/personality. He could be blindingly fast on his day, however, he has prone to make silly mistakes both on and off the race track. His first years in F1 were a joy to watch in the Tyrrell. The way he would attack every lap - great fun. Going to Ferrari in 1991 was a huge mistake and one I don't think his F1 career recovered from. If Prost had of stayed for another year that may off helped, but Alesi found himself team leader before the end of the 1991 season when Prost was sacked before the Japanese GP. Ferrari at that time was turning on itself and the knives were out, not a good environment. The 1992 car was not competitive, Capelli was not at the same level as Alesi and it all was too much.

If he had gone to Williams I think he would of thrived, certainly he would have won races sooner than he did and I think the team would of helped in his development as a driver on the mental and emotional side of things, which was his big weakness.

I feel somewhat ashamed, but I have only recollection on Alesi in the form of one remark uttered by Lauda. It was before Schumacher, when Alesi and Berger didn't have very good time in Ferrari, and Lauda was getting mad and exclaimed "those two idiots..." I hope Alesi and Berger forgave him by now, but who knows.

Yep unfortunately timing in f1 is everything, you could be the greatest driver of all time but make the wrong moves at the wrong time and it's costly.

Well, certainly Alesi would have been better off if he went to Williams, especially considering how the 1992 season went. On the other hand, he would have had to compete with Mansell, who was probably faster.

In 1991, we are able to directly compare him to Prost. That season, Prost had 3 seconds, 2 thirds, a fastest lap and 34 points. Alesi had 3 thirds, a fastest lap, and 21 points. They both finished a race only five times (it was not a good season). In those five finishes, Prost was ahead four of those times. In the ever so telling qualifying battle, Prost qualified ahead of Alesi in 13 out of 15 contests.

Yeah I feel he would've performed just like patrese, but atleast he would've won sooner and more than once.

Lmao, looks like a kimi fan waiting for another win.

You take my joke to heart brad? Is that why you won't admit it's funny? Man how far up there are you?

Yeah well I really hope your right might as Iam over this Mercedes domination and I want it to end on circuit not with a raft of rules changes.

<<Emcee: Yeah I feel he would've performed just like patrese, but atleast he would've won sooner and more than once. >>

Well, the previous year (1990) Nigel Mansell raced at Ferrari against Prost. Prost has 73 points to Mansell's 37 (although I recall Mansell having a lot of bad luck that season). Prost has 5 wins to Mansell's one (a point Prost pointed out in an interview once). When they both finished on the track, Prost was ahead of Mansell 5 to 3. In the qualifying duel they tied 8 to 8, which certainly was a better than Alesi did.

So yea, I think if Alesi went to Williams he would have had better seasons, but in 1992, Mansell probably would have had the edge and taken the WC. Of course, what this really shows is just how good of a driver Prost was.

---------

<<In 1991, we are able to directly compare him to Prost. That season, Prost had 3 seconds, 2 thirds, a fastest lap and 34 points. Alesi had 3 thirds, a fastest lap, and 21 points. They both finished a race only five times (it was not a good season). In those five finishes, Prost was ahead four of those times. In the ever so telling qualifying battle, Prost qualified ahead of Alesi in 13 out of 15 contests. >>